Old Maters Can't Log On (1 Viewer)

I posed the question in the Pick the Pros thread the first week of the "new" Mater about how people could get online without their OWN ISP. I was told that people sign on at work and that's why they have a hotmail/yahoo/gmail account and not their own ISP account.

OK, I get that. However, I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that you wouldn't sign on at home if you sign on at work. You gotta have your own ISP somewhere. If you want to sign up use your own ISP addy and block it from use in the User CP. It's just that simple.

IMO, most people are just using that as an excuse to have something to bitch about.
:rolleyes:

You have NO idea! My son says I'll talk to anybody........even the chick at the Waffle House. He said "Mom, she doesn't care about our dog." My answer "How do YOU know. She doesn't know anything about her yet." :D

I'm the same way, Kelly. I can talk to just about anyone. I think a lot of it is because my hubby is so introverted. He's not a very good "people person". And that's putting it nicely..LOL!
:D

Bobby Miller
As I stated in my post I really did not mean to attack your character one ounce... I apologize and take responsibility for my words... That is why my name is attached... I'm here to help and not hurt... Thanks for listening... It takes a big man to apologize, and a bigger man to accept it... Your friend Ray And I understand your points clearly...
Ray, there was no concern about being attacked! I responded, mostly to clarify the situation and to address your questions. All is good and I look forward to meeting you and having that non-alcoholic beverage. In fact, I'll buy. Let me know what races you will attend and I'll see to it that you don't go thirsty.
I sell residential custom home lots, acreage, farms, ranches, commercial and industrial land, etc. Seldom do I sell property for production housing. There are other guys that specialize in that type.

Let me try to clarify the Yahoo, Hotmail vs ISP deal. We all need an ISP to connect to the internet. When our e-mail is tied to your ISP, everything is traceable to the send/receive locations and thus enforceable.

Now move to a Yahoo or Hotmail, etc. mail account held by a true intendant troublemaker. They can post from any computer connected anywhere in the world and say virtually anything about anyone without concern of permanent stoppage because when Jerrod, Shannon or the other mods cut him off, he registers the following hour under another free e-mail account then continues the bashing from the public library, his mommy's house or even his ex-girlfriends for that matter. Not so with me using my own domain e-mail address attached to my name, address, telephone number-all of which I would otherwise share openly. I think there was so much of that going on that it became necessary to find a filtering mechanism to avoid easy entrance from such detractors.
Does that explain better?

I posed the question in the Pick the Pros thread the first week of the "new" Mater about how people could get online without their OWN ISP. I was told that people sign on at work and that's why they have a hotmail/yahoo/gmail account and not their own ISP account.

OK, I get that. However, I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that you wouldn't sign on at home if you sign on at work. You gotta have your own ISP somewhere. If you want to sign up use your own ISP addy and block it from use in the User CP. It's just that simple.

IMO, most people are just using that as an excuse to have something to bitch about.
:rolleyes:
How about they use their work e-mail? If it's OK to surf the net at work, I'm sure employers wouldn't mind if they get personal e-mails occasionally. That would qualify as an ISP e-mail address. I know......I've done it before. ;)

You have NO idea! My son says I'll talk to anybody........even the chick at the Waffle House. He said "Mom, she doesn't care about our dog." My answer "How do YOU know. She doesn't know anything about her yet." :D

Kelly, you just reminded me of a story that happened the other day. After leaving HRP one Sat night we stopped into the Waffle House by 146 and 10. My stepbrother tried to order biscuits and was told this by a toothless, crack smoking looking, on deaths door waitress: "This is the Waffle House, we aint got no God $)#$ MF'n biscuits!" I will never forget that as long as I live. So warning, stay clear of the Waffle House on 10 and 146!

As for ISP's I understand Yahoo is not an internet provider.. However my account is SBC/Yahoo... So why did I have so much problems?

Ray & others,

When you state your ISP is SBC/Yahoo, my understanding is that Yahoo has just partnered with SBCGlobal and my bet is that your REAL e-mail address is from the ISP named SBCGLOBAL. My folks have a DSL setup and their ISP which is SBC/Yahoo provides them with several e-mail addresses, and they all are: [email protected] So in this case their ISP is actually SBCGLOBAL, not Yahoo. Once they are online, they can always go to Yahoo.com and create their own FREE Yahoo e-mail accounts if they so choose, but their default e-mail is going to be from SBCGLOBAL. My father-in-law has a similar deal with VERIZON/Yahoo and a DSL connection, and he thinks he has Yahoo too, but his default e-mail address is: [email protected] So, in his case VERIZON is his ISP, not Yahoo.

I think you and several others probably already have this figured out, but just thought I would add my .02c to what Bobby/Doc and a few others have already stated as the correct issue. FREE e-mail accounts aren't acceptable on the new NitroMater, so give Jerrod one that isn't a FREE one. I have about 5 or 6 between work and those my ISP provides me and a couple old ones from AOL that are still active. It ain't that hard.

The fly on the wall, would'nt be able to get a word in edgewise with the both of you... P.S. Do you guys talk in your sleep as well???;) :D

Nah, I don't talk in my sleep, but my kiddo and hubby do. Like my favorite quote says, "I like to reminisce with people I don't know." -Steven Wright :D

Ray & others,

When you state your ISP is SBC/Yahoo, my understanding is that Yahoo has just partnered with SBCGlobal and my bet is that your REAL e-mail address is from the ISP named SBCGLOBAL. My folks have a DSL setup and their ISP which is SBC/Yahoo provides them with several e-mail addresses, and they all are: [email protected] So in this case their ISP is actually SBCGLOBAL, not Yahoo. Once they are online, they can always go to Yahoo.com and create their own FREE Yahoo e-mail accounts if they so choose, but their default e-mail is going to be from SBCGLOBAL. My father-in-law has a similar deal with VERIZON/Yahoo and a DSL connection, and he thinks he has Yahoo too, but his default e-mail address is: [email protected] So, in his case VERIZON is his ISP, not Yahoo.

I think you and several others probably already have this figured out, but just thought I would add my .02c to what Bobby/Doc and a few others have already stated as the correct issue. FREE e-mail accounts aren't acceptable on the new NitroMater, so give Jerrod one that isn't a FREE one. I have about 5 or 6 between work and those my ISP provides me and a couple old ones from AOL that are still active. It ain't that hard.
My SBC/Yahoo bill for my Prodigy ISP account (I have them send me a bill every month instead of doing an automatic transfer from a credit card or bank account) is sent from and payable to AT&T. When AT&T stepped into the picture earlier this year, I ignored the first bill they sent, because I didn't have an AT&T account, or so I thought!

I'm back! (formerly MJL)
Can't thank Jerrod enough. lurking for a few weeks wasn't that bad.
better than no 'mater' at all.
anyways, i believe part of my problem is that i used 2checkout.com to
pay, and I wasn't aware that Jerrod needed my order # to verify me.
Also, i would like to say thank you to PJ Sapienza for
accepting 'pick the winners' choices through his PM's.
(i'm trying to stay in the top 40:D )

I'm back! (formerly MJL)
Can't thank Jerrod enough. lurking for a few weeks wasn't that bad.
better than no 'mater' at all.
anyways, i believe part of my problem is that i used 2checkout.com to
pay, and I wasn't aware that Jerrod needed my order # to verify me.
Also, i would like to say thank you to PJ Sapienza for
accepting 'pick the winners' choices through his PM's.
(i'm trying to stay in the top 40:D )

Good to see you here too Mike!!

I'm not good at following directions. I had to have a friend email me about the verification thing... :eek: Guess that's why I work in retail, and not IT.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back