No water in the burnout box cost Humphries? (1 Viewer)

I do believe that it is the cars crew members responsibility to make sure whether to use water or not, and, the amount they want for the burnout.

They have no one to blame but themselves.

His crew should always check the condition of the waterbox before each run, before he even approaches it. The hose is right there for your crew to use. Unless you start washing your car in the waterbox, they have no problem with you spraying a little water.

RG

Last edited:

His crew should always check the condition of the waterbix before each run, before he even approaches it. The hose is right there for your crew to use. Unless you start washing your car in the waterbox, they have no problem with you spraying a little water.

RG

yep.......

Yeah, what Randy said!

I've had to put water myself, but the crew guys will put it in for me if I give them a sign,

Actually the primary fault lies with the driver. It isn't all that hard to see if there is any water, or too much water for that matter, before you pull up. You can then either tell your crew to put some down or get a track worker to do it.

Actually the primary fault lies with the driver. It isn't all that hard to see if there is any water, or too much water for that matter, before you pull up. You can then either tell your crew to put some down or get a track worker to do it.

It's not that easy to see out of a pro stocker, especially the ground in front of you.

as a crew member.....you're job is to make sure that everything is ready for your driver to make a good clean run and that you have prepared everything to make that happen....i am a crew member and if this happend to the NFC that i work on i would take the blame on myself since i am the guy who brings my driver through the water box

OK...

hear-no-evil.jpg

I wasn't there... :cool:

His crew should always check the condition of the waterbox before each run, before he even approaches it. The hose is right there for your crew to use. Unless you start washing your car in the waterbox, they have no problem with you spraying a little water.

RG

Your right Randy... We don't mind at all.. The Nhra guys, those who "KNOW" what they are doing up there, even know when and whom they should hand the Broom to, (ie.... Jamie Yates, Richard Maskin, Alan (Mike Edwards team), and a few others....Each team has it's own, (SPECIAL WAY) to set up the box, heck I could literally write a book on every teams "QUIRKS", but the people who are most intersted in the water box set up (IN DRAG RACING AS A WHOLE) are the Pro Stock guys!

But, ultimatly it is OUR JOB, (as an NHRA SAFETY SAFARI MEMBER) to communicate with the crew guys to ensure the water box and surrounding area is in TOP SHAPE for the next car entering the water box. I am very suprised that this happened. Usually the Pro Stock guys are VERY PARTICULAR about what goes on in that burnout box.

It's not that easy to see out of a pro stocker, especially the ground in front of you.
It isn't all that hard either if you look while you are driving the car into the area immediately behind the water box.

If you get in the habit of not looking then you are at the mercy of either your crew or the track workers. Everybody screws up every now and then.

It isn't all that hard either if you look while you are driving the car into the area immediately behind the water box.

If you get in the habit of not looking then you are at the mercy of either your crew or the track workers. Everybody screws up every now and then.

Yea, you're right. The driver should be able to see the waterbox after getting suited up in the staging lanes a few cars behind the car currently in the waterbox. When it's his turn he should unbuckle his belts, take off his helmet and Hanns, check the water, grab the hose and start watering.

Have you ever been on the starting line in later rounds? Sometimes it looks like this...

VI0B3399luc.jpg

Last edited:
I believe you win as a team and you lose as a team...no need to play the blame game.

Pretty much Cheryl. Fact is, the more moving parts you have out there,the more likely something is going to go wrong. Sometimes, stuff just happens. Sometimes a few stuff happens at once, and sometimes, one stuff happening could have prevented major problems with OTHER stuff happening.

Are we clear on this stuff?

Yea, you're right. The driver should be able to see the waterbox after getting suited up in the staging lanes a few cars behind the car currently in the waterbox. When it's his turn he should unbuckle his belts, take off his helmet and Hanns, check the water, grab the hose and start watering.

Have you ever been on the starting line in later rounds? Sometimes it looks like this...

VI0B3399luc.jpg

Don't be silly.

You can easily see out in front of the car when suited up and strapped in before you get anywhere near the water box at any track I have ever raced at except for the one where you had to back up into the water box.

Do you have a reading problem? What I wrote is he/she can see the water or lack thereof and direct the crew or the track workers to correct the situation.

Don't be silly.

You can easily see out in front of the car when suited up and strapped in before you get anywhere near the water box at any track I have ever raced at except for the one where you had to back up into the water box.

Do you have a reading problem? What I wrote is he/she can see the water or lack thereof and direct the crew or the track workers to correct the situation.

I don't have a reading problem, wise guy. You said "Actually the primary fault lies with the driver. It isn't all that hard to see if there is any water, or too much water for that matter, before you pull up. You can then either tell your crew to put some down or get a track worker to do it."

I take issue with it being the driver's responsibility, except that he decides which of his crewmembers has the responsibility to manage the track and track position during each of his runs. Since we are to assume he has a capable crew, and, if in fact there was no water, Justin isn't the guy to blame.

Since you compared the vision of a Pro Stock car with your racing efforts, I did an internet search for Ron Burke and racing anything and all I came up with was Canoe Racing from Sonoma County and the rest was internet posts on message boards. Unless my search function is all screwed up, I wonder how that makes you an authority on what a driver can see, unless you are comparing it to a street car you race from time to time.

I'm sure you realize the driver's position in a Pro Stck car is as low in the car as possible (center of gravity), tucked back in the car. And the physical characteristics of the car which includes Lexan windshields (which do not cut the glare) along with hoods raised at the windshield to clear the valve covers plus scoops that block vision (ask Kurt Johnson) make seeing much of anything a luxury.

Look at this picture and tell me all about the visability when considering a water box 15 feet in front of the car. If the visability is so good, why do crew members direct their drivers up to Pre Stage?

Photo5.jpg

Last edited:
uh...commercial break...

Randy.. Ron races super comp in D-1.....and has for some time.

ok...back to your program...with no further commercial interuptions...

uh...commercial break...

Randy.. Ron races super comp in D-1.....and has for some time.

ok...back to your program...with no further commercial interuptions...

Sitting in most R/E dragsters the world would be bright and clear. Comparing that to the view from a Pro Stocker is no comparison at all.

Just for the record I looked at the D-1 points stats for Super Comp.

Division 1 in 2008 had 157 drivers compete in Super Comp. In 2007 there were 206 drivers, in 2006 there were 233 drivers, and in 2005 there were 203. No Ron Burke was listed in any of those years. Is he an association or club racer possibly?

Not picking on anyone. Just looking for perpective.

RG

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back