Alan Johnson in IHBA (1 Viewer)

More questions:

Is it a 1/4 mile?
Is it like the land drags format with quals on Sat and elims on Sunday?
What is the deal with the rope they string out across the start line?

(don't know anything about boat racing)

-thanx

yes it is 1320 ft
yes usually 2 rounds qualifiy on Sat , 8 boat field of elims. on Sunday
the rope is a holding rope the drivers hold onto in there pairings till it is there time to stage on the water 125ft behind the starting line

Will we get to see the new Drip N Wet Fueler @ Phoenix????

God I hope so. I have had to guys kicking there feet on buying my alcohol hydro and I have to have it sold before I can do anything with the fuel boat. The boat is basically ready to go so we can wait until last minute to decide if the new fueler will get to go or not. I would like to atleast have it there and put it in the water to make even a launch with it. I am beyond excited.

Wow I havent posted here in a long time, nice to see some interest in my favorite thing in the world. Our SDBA season is over here in Texas but I am very much looking forward to making out to Fireturd this year. Hope the rumor about Johnson tuning Tedescos boat is true. That would be awesome.

Paul this isnt at dusk but it makes one helluva background, atleast on my computer. I shot that at the race in fort worth last month

IMG_5705.jpg

or this one if your not too annoyed by the logo....i shot this last year in OKC

IMG_7503%20copy.jpg

Joe, you doing Pheonix this year?

Why is he not wearing gloves? :eek:

Gloves are only required in open boats to the best of my knowledge according to dragboatrules.com anyways.

Gloves
Page Number: 27
All open boats running alcohol or nitro must wear fire retardent gloves.

You'll also find this interesting rule about drag boat racing:

Paddle
Page Number: 37
All open boats shall have a paddle, securely mounted, within easy reach of the driver.

All open boats shall have a paddle, securely mounted, within easy reach of the driver.

Yeah, like a paddle will help me when my drag boat is flipping and crashing. Don't the open boat drivers have to wear a parachute on their backs?

Yeah, like a paddle will help me when my drag boat is flipping and crashing. Don't the open boat drivers have to wear a parachute on their backs?

Yea open boat drivers have to have chute jackets....heres what happens when your chute jacked accidentally opens during the middle of a run (8.0 second around 150 mph) You will also notice the cables on the chute jacket are caught on the the throttle, causing the throttle to be stuck wide open ... lucky man.

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

The point of the paddle to the best of my knowledge....in a jet boat when you lose power you lose steering so if you are beginning to coast towards the timing sensors or anythign else like that you can steer with the paddle....atleast thats the only thing Ive ever seen it used for.

It is highly unlikely that A.J. himself will be there but Terry Morrow from A.J.'s whom has tuned dragboats in the past. but I could be wrong, we will see come Nov.

Paul,

You need to contact Buzzz Miller. He has some of the most incredible boat pictures I have ever seen, and since his camera is worth more than my car (it would be funny if it weren't true...) these pics are super clear and digital to boot.

As for the Top Fuel Hydros, it's insane to watch. However, they also have classes for certain times (kinda like S/C, S/E...) where you can break out...etc.

Mr. Flores, the rope is for assisting the boats in staging. This allows them to be able to stay in line since the boats are fired by the driver in the water. They can hold onto the rope until the boat is fired, and the starter gives the okay. Kinda different than land drags, because you can approach the starting line at idle and you actually carry some speed before you break the timing beams. The trick is to let go of the rope and get your boat to the starting beams just at the right time. Get there to soon and you redlight. Think trying to stage a car when you have to guess that your car will arrive at the staging beams at JUST the right time. Crazy stuff!

As for those of you who haven't seen Top Fuel Hydro's in real life, when under full power, they throw a wall of water behind them straight in the air, in excess of 40-60 feet in the air...but here's the kicker: because they are travelling so fast during the run, by the time the original drops of water which were thrown 50 or so feet in the air actually land back to the lake, the boat is almost 1/8 of a mile away, so in essence, they leave almost a full 1/8 of a mile of a wall of water behind them that reaches those heights. VIOLENT!

Yep, the boat drags are very, very cool. Any drag racing fan will dig it. The pit access, typically friendly nature of the racers / crews, and the grass-roots feel of the whole event provides for an enjoyable experience every time I've gone.

Last edited:
Paul,

You need to contact Buzzz Miller. He has some of the most incredible boat pictures I have ever seen, and since his camera is worth more than my car (it would be funny if it weren't true...) these pics are super clear and digital to boot.

Thanks Dave.

Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Buzz?

Those are great shots! I wonder what the blown alky motors make for HP with a PSI "C" at 125% on top of 557 cubes?! Sounds like a great combo for TAD. I have seen the boats run at firebird, and it is a great time. The rooster tails are incredible. Like others have posted, the only bad thing is there can be a lot of down time, but other than that, every drag racing fan or gearhead should check it out

Those are great shots! I wonder what the blown alky motors make for HP with a PSI "C" at 125% on top of 557 cubes?! Sounds like a great combo for TAD. I have seen the boats run at firebird, and it is a great time. The rooster tails are incredible. Like others have posted, the only bad thing is there can be a lot of down time, but other than that, every drag racing fan or gearhead should check it out

TAH are not allowed to run that much boost

Getting a hold of Buzzz Miller is like pulling friggin teeth!
These guys are all lying to you. They don't throw up a big wall of water. That is BUNK!
fueler.jpg

And here is your new background. Sorry it is so big. But you are going to want that for a right click and 'save as' to be a new background.
boatbackground.jpg

The Paddle is for two things. First of all, when someone hooks the holding rope and breaks it, and you need to keep from hitting the other boats. Also, if both boats don't fire in eliminations, some sanctioning bodies used to have it so that the first one to break the beams won the race. So- get to paddling!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back