Alan Johnson in IHBA (1 Viewer)

I am sure he sells a ton of parts to those guys anyway, so why not pick up 2 checks while you are there?

PS I wonder what AJ costs for one boat race? He should mess with Tedesco and ask him where the clutch timers are!

I am sure he sells a ton of parts to those guys anyway, so why not pick up 2 checks while you are there?

PS I wonder what AJ costs for one boat race? He should mess with Tedesco and ask him where the clutch timers are!

BOATS? Wow-----I didn't realize AJ was a water skier, on top of everything else he does! That guy never ceases to amaze me.

heh heh

Im suprised he is not a consultant on a tad or afd. He pretty much dominated the class with his brother back in the day. Gonna be interesting to see what this guy can do with a boat.

I remember when Twin-props became the norm in TF Hydro, a lot of Drivers and tuners said it would make the Class much safer. But there sure has been a lot of TF crashes in the last 2 years! Lou Osman and Dale Ishimaru come to mind, has Dale been in a bost since his crash?

I remember when Twin-props became the norm in TF Hydro, a lot of Drivers and tuners said it would make the Class much safer. But there sure has been a lot of TF crashes in the last 2 years! Lou Osman and Dale Ishimaru come to mind, has Dale been in a bost since his crash?

Dale retired after the Red Bluff crash. Scott Thompson just licensed in the "Problem Child". He will have some large shoes to fill as Dale was one of the best EVER!!!

I dont mean to sounds stupid, but what is there to tune on a TF boat?
It's not like you have any problems with traction.

Tim, you still have to turn those Twin-props! That takes a lot more Horsepower than just a single, but the Horsepower curve is different so I think AJ will need a few passes to gather data on how the Motor loads compared to a car.

Tuning a fuel boat is every bit as tricky as a car, and testing is practically non existent. Just like NHRA guys making the power is not the problem. Applying the power to the water (track) is. Every track has different conditions (water temp., density, flow), and changes to motor and drivetrain (clutch, props etc...) need to be applied accordingly. The boats just ran on Mission Bay (San Diego) which is completely different to all other stops on the series. The salt water is very dense (alot of traction) and the air is obviously killler. The next race is on Firebird Lake (manmade) in the desert, and many changes will be needed. If you get the chance check em out. A Fuel boat on a great pass is about as exciting as it gets (at least to me :))

Tuning a fuel boat is every bit as tricky as a car, and testing is practically non existent. Just like NHRA guys making the power is not the problem. Applying the power to the water (track) is. Every track has different conditions (water temp., density, flow), and changes to motor and drivetrain (clutch, props etc...) need to be applied accordingly. The boats just ran on Mission Bay (San Diego) which is completely different to all other stops on the series. The salt water is very dense (alot of traction) and the air is obviously killler. The next race is on Firebird Lake (manmade) in the desert, and many changes will be needed. If you get the chance check em out. A Fuel boat on a great pass is about as exciting as it gets (at least to me :))

Wow - I honestly never realized all of this.
I hope I get the chance to check this out some day.

DLB

Where in TX do they have a good TFH turnout. I really want to go see these things in the flesh.

Drag boats run in Marble Falls, Waco & Brady. The best place to go and watch them is in Phoenix, Az the weekend before Thanksgiving. A top fuel hydro on a nice pass is the most exciting thing I have ever seen.

Drag boats run in Marble Falls, Waco & Brady. The best place to go and watch them is in Phoenix, Az the weekend before Thanksgiving. A top fuel hydro on a nice pass is the most exciting thing I have ever seen.

Will we get to see the new Drip N Wet Fueler @ Phoenix????

I've always enjoyed the Boats, but they take a LOT of Patience! Towing boats off the course that abort runs or break can be very Time consuming, and when they crash you lose an hour easy! But a side by side 4.70-.80 TF pass at 240-250 MPH is as awesome as anything in Car Dragracing!;)

I've always enjoyed the Boats, but they take a LOT of Patience! Towing boats off the course that abort runs or break can be very Time consuming, and when they crash you lose an hour easy! But a side by side 4.70-.80 TF pass at 240-250 MPH is as awesome as anything in Car Dragracing!;)

Yeah, You can count on some down time between pairs, but if the weather is nice it's the perfect opportunity for your "eye candy" file. I'm sure AJ knows all the boat tuners, but I can't wait to see Amos (Saterlee), Roger Way, and "Fast" Eddie (Knox) challenge him & Tedesco.

More questions:

Is it a 1/4 mile?
Is it like the land drags format with quals on Sat and elims on Sunday?
What is the deal with the rope they string out across the start line?

(don't know anything about boat racing)

-thanx

Do not go to a boat race expecting it to be anything like a NHRA national event, They are in no way spectator friendly. There are no 75min turn around times. But the spectators are able to get a lot closer to the pit action

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back