McCLENATHAN 'SWEEPLESS' IN SEATTLE...BUT SET TO WIN A SECOND TIME (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]KENT, Wash. (July 15, 2009) - Cory McClenathan, who swept the Western Swing in 1997 by winning all three back-to-back-to-back events in Denver, Seattle and Sonoma, Calif., heads to this weekend's NHRA Northwest Nationals without the chance to do it again following a solid semifinal finish in Denver last Sunday. He does arrive, however, with a strong opportunity to win for the second time at Pacific Raceways.

Besides the ‘97 triumph here, the driver of the FRAM Tough Guard Top Fuel Dragster for Don Schumacher Racing also holds a stellar record of three runner-up finishes in America's Northwest corner: in 1993 (as low qualifier), '95 and '98.

"Seattle has always been good to me," said McClenathan, who stands fifth in the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series Top Fuel points. “We've won here, we've qualified well here, and I expect no different this weekend."

As for coming off a mile-high experience in Denver down to sea level in Seattle, "These different conditions at race tracks don't seem to affect the FRAM Tough Guard guys whatsoever," said McClenathan. "Todd and Phil (crew chiefs Okuhara and Shuler) go to every single race track with the same attitude that this is our car, we race our car only, we don't worry about the other guy, we go A to B, and we let the chips fall where they may. I expect nothing less from them.

"They just go out there and read the track and get input from our 'track whisperer,' Lanny Miglizzi. Thank God we have Lanny; that helps us a lot.

"The FRAM Tough Guard guys are ultimate professionals. I couldn't dream to have a better team; I really couldn't. These guys are just that good. And I'm really proud of them and proud to be a part of this DSR team.

"I can't wait to get in the car this weekend and in Sonoma (the weekend following the Seattle event) and see what we can do, because we seem to have a good cool weather tune-up and a good hot weather tune-up. My competitors are no dummies. They know we're good and that we're going to be a player."

CORY MCCLENATHAN QUICK FACTS:
* No. 5 in 2009 Top Fuel point standings, with two runner-up, two semifinal, seven quarterfinal and two first-round finishes in first 13 events of season
* 159 points out of third place in standings
* Seattle winner in 1997 (Gary Scelzi)
* Seattle runner-up in '93 (Tommy Johnson Jr.); '95 (Ron Capps); '98 (Joe Amato)
* No. 1 qualifier in Seattle in 1993
* Qualified No. 10 in 2008 Seattle; lost second round to Brandon Bernstein
* No. 3 in 2008 Top Fuel point standings, including one win in three final rounds, as well as eight semifinal, six quarterfinal, seven first-round finishes and two No. 1 qualifiers
* Has 30 career Top Fuel victories in 55 final rounds
* First driver to break the 320-mph barrier with 322.17-mph run in Dallas in 1997
* Has recorded 449 career round wins in Top Fuel
* Qualified No. 1 32 times, with a career-high seven times in 1993
* Recorded 400th round win in Top Fuel in Richmond 2007
* Has finished No. 2 in the standings four times (1992, 1995, 1997 & 1998)
* Finished No. 10 in rookie season in 1991; made first 4-second run
* Made NHRA history with first run in the 4.70s (4.799) at Reading in 1992
* Swept the three-race Western Swing in 1997 en route to four consecutive wins and career-high six victories in eight final rounds
* Won four of the first six races in 1998. Equaled career-best with six wins in eight finals
* Won the U.S. Nationals twice (1996, 1999)
* Missed four races in 1993 after crash in Rockingham and still finished sixth in the Top Fuel points
* Age 46 (January 30, 1963); born in Wichita, Kansas, now lives in Brownsburg, Ind.; daughter Courtney (10/25/90)
* Joined Don Schumacher Racing in 2008; 2009 is fourth season with sponsorship from FRAM

Cory Mac Facebook Fan Page:
Cory Mac | Facebook

Cory Mac Fanatics Group:
Cory Mac | Facebook

On Twitter he may be followed on Cory Mac (Cory_Mac_TF) on Twitter

SCHEDULE:
FRIDAY, July 17 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 3 and 5:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, July 18 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at noon and 2:30 p.m.
SUNDAY, July 19 - Pre-race ceremonies, 10 a.m. FINAL ELIMINATIONS begin at 11 a.m.

TELEVISION:
Saturday, July 18, ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise two hours of qualifying highlights at 7 p.m. (ET).
Sunday, July 19, ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise NHRA Race Day at 11a.m. (ET)
Sunday, July 19, ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise three hours of coverage starting at 9 p.m. (ET).

SATELLITE (Analog feed):
Friday, July 17, 11 - 11:30 p.m. (ET), Galaxy 18 / Transponder 23K (12160 MHz, vertical)
Saturday, July 18, 9:30 - 10 p.m. (ET), Galaxy 18 / Transponder 23K (12160 MHz, vertical)
Sunday, July 19, 9 - 9:30 p.m. (ET), Galaxy 18 / Transponder 23K (12160 MHz, vertical)
Video news release contains race action highlights each day and winners’ interviews on Sunday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back