Good news for the quarter mile? (1 Viewer)

I am still leary of a neutered nitro car. It depends on what they do to it. 300mph is a must.

At Martin this past weekend for the Funny car nationals I was stunned how many people were unimpressed by the the nitro FC when they didn't see a big number. The loved the burnouts and all but when the run was done I heard many people talk about 300mph.
When Haddock pulled the dragster out and blasted over 300 people went nuts. I always have thought that it was a magical line that we better not retreat past but after watching the fans this past weekend I know now its actually not just in my head :)

If they can still keep it above 300mph and go back to a full track while keeping the switchover cheap for teams then it sounds good

Nobody wants to go backward but I thought of some simple fixes a few years ago. Leave the engine size alone, that saves money. Smaller spec fuel pump, lower the blower o/d. Keep the 2 mags (got to keep it lit!) Go back to a 2:90 or 3:00 to 1 gear. The tests that they have done were using a smaller engine with a 3:50 gear. Think of the RPM that sucker is turning in the lights!! I remember Shirley not wanting to run NHRA because of the 3:20 gear. She said after a run You'd have a bunch of molten metal! Anyway, with the improved shutdown areas (finally!!!) we could still have 325 MPH runs. By the way if the shutdown at E-town had been like last year Alexis would not have made it through what happened this year.

I am still leary of a neutered nitro car. It depends on what they do to it. 300mph is a must.

An occasional 300MPH run is what they are shooting for, however with a stock 426 stroke crankshaft, single mag and only 8 clutch levers (instead of 16) that'll be quite an effort to hit 300... but you might get the quarter mile back.

It is never going to be the same.

I like the idea of doing something like they do in F1, limiting the number of blocks, pistons, whatever, that you can use at an event. The NHRA vs. IHRA thread touches on this, far fewer blowups because they aren't leaning on it so hard. Plus it would help the smaller budget teams - they are used to getting the most from the least, and it reduces the advantage of deep pockets.

single mag and only 8 clutch levers (instead of 16)
All the tests so far have been with two mags & a current clutch system.

Nine (9) Levers were used in the early lock-ups, we ran 12 levers on a 4-disc in the late '80s with a 3.50 gear.
The 15 & 18 lever pressure plates started to be used in the '90s.
A 10 1/2" 4-disc with 12 levers has run 300 mph in the past , should work in the future?

Last edited:
All the tests so far have been with two mags & a current clutch system.

Nine (9) Levers were used in the early lock-ups, we ran 12 levers on a 4-disc in the late '80s with a 3.50 gear.
The 15 & 18 lever pressure plates started to be used in the '90s.
A 10 1/2" 4-disc with 12 levers has run 300 mph in the past , should work in the future?

Jerry, last Friday Cruz Pedregon said that he'll be testing a stock stroke crank, single mag and 8 levers on the clutch instead of 16. Please contact Cruz, maybe you can help save drag racing. :rolleyes:

Can someone wave the magic wand and make things like they were in 2000 ! How I miss 4.45 at 330 !

Wow!!!!! Simply amazed at the simpletons in here.All You couch Crew Chiefs

I freely admit that I'm no crew chief. What I am is a fan interested in safe, competitive quarter mile racing with full fields. I agree that 300 mph is a “magic number”; while 340 mph is a big WOW I think consistently being 300 or so is better. I am also in favor of accomplishing that in the simplest manner. I think that the improved traps have largely addressed the safety issues. I think that a restriction along the lines of what F1 does is simple, inexpensive, and effective: uses the parts currently in production (no expense of developing and buying new stuff), reduces the cost per event (reduces the deep pockets advantage), rewards innovation (doing more with less), easy to police, makes the lower budget teams more competitive, etc. I’m sure there are downsides but there are always downsides.

I remember Shirley not wanting to run NHRA because of the 3:20 gear. She said after a run You'd have a bunch of molten metal!

And she thinks that that decision hurt her career big time.
But remember that SHE wasn't the crew chief who made that brilliant move.
Credit where credit's due...

An occasional 300MPH run is what they are shooting for, however with a stock 426 stroke crankshaft, single mag and only 8 clutch levers (instead of 16) that'll be quite an effort to hit 300... but you might get the quarter mile back.

You really think a single Mag, 426 can hit 300 in the 1/4? You realize the Dragsters were in the 4's when they went 300, I doubt that combo you speak of is capable of those times.

I think that a restriction along the lines of what F1 does is simple, inexpensive, and effective: uses the parts currently in production (no expense of developing and buying new stuff), reduces the cost per event (reduces the deep pockets advantage), rewards innovation (doing more with less), easy to police, makes the lower budget teams more competitive, etc. I’m sure there are downsides but there are always downsides.

Remember that we'd all love to have F1 budgets-hell I could run my comp car for years on the interest from an F1 budget.

After what I witnessed this past weekend, that would be a huge mistake.

I want 1/4 mile back. BUT if it means an overly watered down version then stay at 1000'. If 300mph isn't common then it will hurt the sport.

I wonder why the mass engine change? In the ealry 90's didn't they just change the rear end, which backed them up several years.

I still wonder why they don't try 1000 at the short tracks and 1/4 at the longer ones. Nascar and baseball both happen at multiple size venues, maybe this would be one area where it would be ok to copy them.

well i hope they can figure something out, i have only been to one race since 1000ft and just dont have the interest in watching anymore.

i am glad they are trying things and hope for the best

What if they made the cars look more like the stock cars they are suppose to represent. Like in the sixties or seventies. I'd love to see a funny car that actually looked like a Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang. That would be exciting to watch.

I still wonder why they don't try 1000 at the short tracks and 1/4 at the longer ones. .

Because that would make everyone happy.

Gang don't get excited, no way they (nhra) are going back to 1/4mi full for 2010. They seem very slow to test. (kinds like they're just going thru the motions.) When & IF they EVER agree on a combo, there isn't time to equip all the teams in time for next season.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back