Nitro Ally shop tours during the Indy 500 week (2 Viewers)

Todd

Nitro Member
I'm going to be attending the Indy 500 hundred this year. Dose anybody know if any of the teams on Nitro Ally has shop tours during this time ?

DSR ? JFR ?

I'm going to be attending the Indy 500 hundred this year. Dose anybody know if any of the teams on Nitro Ally has shop tours during this time ?

DSR ? JFR ?

Todd - shop tours are on Saturday, but usually aren't announced until shortly before race week. DSR and JFR have participated recently, along with Lucas, Pedregon and a few others (less every year). Most of the shops are just big garages, but DSR and JFR are amazing!
If this is your first 500, you are in for a great experience. Community Day on Wednesday has full access to Gasoline Alley and a great collection of vintage cars. We'll be there all week with our Wicked Wagons, PM me in May and we'll see if we can meet.

I am curious to see the cars in 2012 .. IndyCars might suck me back in. I miss going to 16th and Georgetown in the month of May. Growing up in Kentucky, May was ALWAYS the best month of the year. The Kentucky Derby this first weekend of May, Pole Day at Indy the second weekend of May, Bump Day at Indy the third weekend of May and the 500 itself the last weekend of May. GOOD TIMES. After the split, I only went back to IMS for the USGP that was held there, it would be great to go back if the 500 actually meant something again. IMO that starts in 2012, not this year.

As an aside, 2012 could be a great year for open wheel racing in America, the new rules package for IndyCar, and Formula 1 returns with a USGP in Austin.

Back to the point of this thread, I make it an absolute point to tour DSR's shop during the US Nationals (DSR usually has a pretty nice open house). The place is AMAZING. So if you can get a tour during the Indy 500, you should absolutely jump on the chance.

Last edited:
Just a bit of humor.

The month of May in Indy, Georgetown Rd., is a friggin trip. At least it was in the late 70`s early 80`s.

The real crazies used to camp along the railroad easement on Crawfordsville Road. We walk to the track on raceday and it used to be just nuts - campers and crazies have declined by 75% in the last few years.
IMS has worked really hard to calm things down inside the Speedway. Our seats used to be inside turn one in front of the infamous Snake Pit - THAT was really crazy! That's all gone and there is a large area on the backstretch where families can sit on the golf course for a very reasonable price.
If you are a fan of motorsports other than drag racing, you really should do this once - IMS is an amazing experience.

The real crazies used to camp along the railroad easement on Crawfordsville Road. We walk to the track on raceday and it used to be just nuts - campers and crazies have declined by 75% in the last few years.
IMS has worked really hard to calm things down inside the Speedway. Our seats used to be inside turn one in front of the infamous Snake Pit - THAT was really crazy! That's all gone and there is a large area on the backstretch where families can sit on the golf course for a very reasonable price.
If you are a fan of motorsports other than drag racing, you really should do this once - IMS is an amazing experience.
I took a tour ride, in their tour van around the track last year, and I didn't realize how narrow that track is. That was a pretty interesting tour of the track, and the museum.

Last edited:
I guess us "crazies" got old or were weeded out. I was in the snake pit in 77' and 78'. But there is still plenty to do race week. We start off in Terre Haute Thursday night for USAC Sprint Cars, Friday night at the Fairgrounds there is a memorabilia show and the Hoosier 100 for USAC Silver Crown cars, Then Saturday night at IRP they run the "Night Before the 500" for USAC Midgets along with a few other classes. If you're around Anderson, IN the night before, they run the "Little 500" for sprint cars....33 cars running 500 laps on a short track is a sight to see.

The new open engine formula announced allows for any turbocharged engine up to 2.4L and 6 cylinders to run provided it can be tuned to produce the full range of 550-750 HP. The formula would allow hybrid systems, KERS system similar to Formula 1, and other engine enhancements. The "push to pass" feature in 2012 will allow a limited horsepower gain up to 100 HP as opposed to the current "overtake assist" which only provides 20 HP.

What Rule change happens in 2012???

Joe -
1. Spec tub built by Dallara in Indy at a new facility next to the Speedway.
2. 2.2 liter 4 or 6 cylinder turbo engines from Chevrolet, Honda or Lotus.
3. Teams to provide their own aero packages (this is actually more complicated in reference to providers.)

Should provide some different looks to cars. Of course, the two gorillas (Penske & Ganassi) will almost certainly continue to dominate.

The new open engine formula announced allows for any turbocharged engine up to 2.4L and 6 cylinders to run provided it can be tuned to produce the full range of 550-750 HP. The formula would allow hybrid systems, KERS system similar to Formula 1, and other engine enhancements. The "push to pass" feature in 2012 will allow a limited horsepower gain up to 100 HP as opposed to the current "overtake assist" which only provides 20 HP.

Sounds like Indy Car racing is about to get REAL expensive!

The new formula is intended to REDUCE engine lease costs! I'm sure many rules changes in motorsports have been successful in lowering costs, but for the life of me, I can't think of one! - :D

Well I'm sure Car counts will let us know if that is the case! But anytime you allow NEW technology into the mix, costs seems to spiral in any motorsport!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back