Indy 500 Qualifying Weekend -WOW! (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Arrived at IMS with the wagon we constructed to donate to the Sam Schmidt Paraysis Foundation Gala on Monday night. It is a tribute to Penske Racing's acomplishments at Indy. We presented it to Sam at his motorhome and recieved Bronze badges (Gasoline Alley access for the entire month) so we could bring it to the Schmidt/Lifelock garage. Team displayed the wagon next to the race car and a lot of interest ensued.
Kory of Schmidt Racing got the word out to Penske and (wait for this . . . ) the Captain, Rick Mears, Helio and Ryan showed up and signed it! We were hoping the wagon might bring $3000 at the auction - it appears there will be a lot more interest with the autographs - wish us luck! I've recieved 20 inquiries about purchasing wagons so far and 425 Indy heavyweights will be at the Gala tomorrow night. Looks we're going out of charity mode into production!
We were disappointed that qualifying was rained out until Sam called and asked if we would like to tour the teams' shop. Got a very detailed tour from Kory. I love drag racing, but the first race I ever attended was the Indy 500 when I was 9 with my Dad. You probably won't understand, but being able to handle parts and touch the controls of a car that will probably participate in the Indy 500 was quite a moment. Pretty cool day - :cool:

That's way cool Jim!!!
Do you have other pix than the one in your profile/album?
Enjoy the rest of the month!!!
Wayne :)

Sounds like a good time Jim. I will take in the Indy 500 one of these days....

Jim, I too am a dyed in the wool drag racer, but the Indy 500 has always been a family tradition for me since I was a small child It was so neat to watch pole day with 1) lots of cars and some bumping, 2) some fans in the stands to watch it. I was sorry it rained out sunday, but TV wise, sometimes the rain outs are more fun to watch, as they do a great job of interviews and inside info as "filler". And it should make the next qual day really interesting. And, (sigh) it was really nice to listen to Marty again, although Eddie Cheever wouldn't have been my choice for a man in a booth. To each his own, I guess.... Anyway, this year looks to be more like the "old Indy" again. God Bless Unification!

Everytime I think I am over open wheel racing in America ... they suck me back in.

The month of May was always my favorite as a kid. Growing up in Kentucky, the first Saturday in May was the Derby and all the attendant hoopla. The next weekend we would ride up to Indy for qualifying. The next weekend was bump day and then Memorial Day weekend always meant family cookouts and the 500. Good times.

The person I feel the most sorry for is Sebastian Bourdais. SeaBass was so sick of the situation in America, that he took a back-of-the-grid F1 ride (Scuderia Torro Rosso). If he would have stayed at Newman-Haas, he would now definitely be a front runner in the unified series.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back