Nice Article by Rob Geiger (1 Viewer)

Rob ... for someone who has not been in a racecar, you certainly have a way of knowing the heart and soul of those who have. We do know the danger, we do not dwell on it, we choose to challenge it, to overcome it ... to best the demon.

In Eric beats the heart of a champion and a warrior. While this may in fact be his toughest challenge, I for one believe he is up to the task.

I am not one to pray, I am not a religious man .. but I admittedly have been praying of late. Prayers for Eric, for the JFR family and for my dear friend John Medlen.

Rob .. as always your writing skills capture the moment, the thought and the emotion ... kudos ..

"Hollywood"

Thanks guys. I don't know about y'all, but I've been in a serious funk all week. I can't seem to think straight and it took me three days to write that column entry. It's deja vu.

Great read! Somber, yet inspiring. Can't wait til you get to write some good news for us.

I hear ya, Rob. Most of my co-workers and family don't really understand. It's so hard to explain to those that don't 'get it'.

Thanks Scoop,
You happen to be another one of our valued possessions we all claim in this world of drag racing. Your insights capture many or our thoughts in words we can't compose as you do.

I don't know about y'all, but I've been in a serious funk all week.

You're not alone Rob. Thanks for the wonderful, inspiring words - they certainly helped.

I keep envisioning Eric being wheeled out of the hospital in his wheelchair during an NHRA Race Day telecast - all smiles and waves to the throngs of fans as Dave Rieff tells of his incredible recovery. God willing, that day is coming, I truly believe it in my heart... he's a fighter and a champion and the entire drag racing world is praying for him.

Thanks guys. I don't know about y'all, but I've been in a serious funk all week. I can't seem to think straight and it took me three days to write that column entry. It's deja vu.

You really did a beautiful job, Rob. Three days of trying came out very well, and reflected a lot of our thoughts and feelings. I haven't been able to think about much beyond Eric since seeing him crash on Monday and realizing it was as bad as it looked. The lightness and enjoyment of Monday testing immediately stopped.

I think you're among those included in prayers for Eric's friends and extended family - especially with the deja vu.

There are a chosen few that are gifted in the written word. Scoop is one of them. (well, our Doc gets on a roll as well..ok..and Alan..and Jon..,etc)

And as an example of the gift that you have..it was this one that puts it in perspective for me:

"I don't know about y'all, but I've been in a serious funk all week."

Pretty much sums it up. I border between.."*&^%"..and "!@#$% on occasion..but then coming here and being able to vent helps..(most of the time).

The write-up on M. Ashleys blog helps..it's all about the positive attitude..and maintaining that throughout anything we encounter..and it works out..in spite of it all.

Anyway..thanks fellow Maters for being here.

I hear ya, Rob. Most of my co-workers and family don't really understand. It's so hard to explain to those that don't 'get it'.

I agree. My wife asked me last night when was I going to come out of my depressed state. I told her hopefully by the time I hit San Antonion raceway on Sat morning. Then best way I found to explain it to her was like this: When a fireman dies in a fire and you have hundreds or thousands of firemen from all over the country go to his funeral to show respect, drag racing is kinda like that.

And David, I agree about Mike Ashley's blog. I know he didnt write that particular one, but all of the blogs on Mike's are always very uplifting and motivating.

Same here Scoop. I also really enjoyed your column. My dad always raced when I was a kid. On up to T/F for a short time. He used to ask me if I wanted to drive and I always said no. The real reason? Just afraid of the speed and possible consequences. My dad was never scared. He always wanted to go as fast as possible. He had a horrific crash in 1972 and was in the hospital for 3 weeks and then out of work for about 3 months. While in the hospital him and my uncle were drawing up the paint scheme on the new dragster they would build. Never a thought about NOT racing.

I am really praying hard for Eric and the family!!

I agree with the being in a funk. But its great having the mater, its our "little" 3000 person small therapy group

Its as though the sport we love so much has cheated on us then slapped us in the face. We all know the dangers and accept them but in times like these that doesn't make it easier.

Get well Eric, we're all pulling for you.

Echoing others comments, that was a great piece Rob. I have found myself this week thinking more about the important things in life and remembering to cherish that on a daily basis.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back