NHRA will not return to Rt 66 (1 Viewer)

There's some talk going around that Amazon bought both Chicagoland and Rt. 66. I hope it's just Chicagoland.........Rt. 66 was one of the nicest facilities I have been to.

There's some talk going around that Amazon bought both Chicagoland and Rt. 66. I hope it's just Chicagoland.........Rt. 66 was one of the nicest facilities I have been to.

It's a real shame that the original Route 66 group (Dale Coyne, et al.) got hooked up with ISC. They put together a first rate facility for drag racing (not familiar with how the dirt track stacked up). They greased the wheels with the local government and got things going with racing in Joliet. ISC (in partnership with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway) were looking for a site to build a track near Chicago with no luck, until Coyne suggested the land adjacent to Route 66 and put them in touch with the right people. Chicagoland got built, operations were combined with Route 66, ISC bought out the Route 66 group and IMS as partners, and here we are. On its own, I think Route 66 could have been had a nice sustainable niche.

Last edited:

This video is pretty interesting. Footage of building the drag strip, with audio of a press conference discussing the track while it was under construction. Dallas Gardner talking about business aspects of the NHRA and its events, drivers Shelly Anderson and rookie Tony Schumacher giving their thoughts about the prospect of racing in Chicago, etc.

Amazon is building several huge distribution centers in south suburban ChiTown, if this rumor is true it would give them a tremendous footprint in the area.

Not from what I was told this week. I was told the city of Joliet turned them down and aren't excited about having anymore distribution centers or warehouses built in that area.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back