NHRA will not return to Rt 66 (1 Viewer)

Paul

Staff member
Nitro Member
Just got this email from the track saying both nascar and NHRA will not return.

Attachments

• 7FD3E2F2-E62F-4F4A-8A56-D85A4A8AC39F.jpeg
    7FD3E2F2-E62F-4F4A-8A56-D85A4A8AC39F.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 89
wtf does covid have to do with a 2021 racing schedule!? democratic governor, and the st. louis (illinois) event is taking place......so begs the question; is this that land/development deal again?
or a new set of politics?

Such a beautiful track. I hate to see that one not on the national event circuit.
But, when I was there in 2009, I was disappointed in the size of the crowds on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
I don’t remember the last time seeing an overflow type crowd there.

From reading some of the other articles about this, it seems like it was Nascar's decision to take Chicagoland Speedway off the schedule. However, back in May there was a lot of discussion about the property being sold and reconfigured. Maybe NASCAR just felt they couldn't get a commitment from ownership on future development and they apparently wanted to reduce the number of 1.5-2 mile tracks anyway. With NHRA not being there in 2021 also, that sounds like a property ownership decision, which makes land redevelopment a greater potential reason. Can't imagine NHRA not being there in 2021 is related to Covid-no one is planning that far off as to canceling events.

From reading some of the other articles about this, it seems like it was Nascar's decision to take Chicagoland Speedway off the schedule. However, back in May there was a lot of discussion about the property being sold and reconfigured. Maybe NASCAR just felt they couldn't get a commitment from ownership on future development and they apparently wanted to reduce the number of 1.5-2 mile tracks anyway.

NASCAR owns the track, When it was a publicly held company, ISC , The France family had majority control, They sold all of their tracks to NASCAR in a stock buy. Sort of like just moving your money from your right hand to your left hand.

The drag strip was built by Indycar Owner Dale Coyne then sold to ISC.

Not unexpected, but it sucks because it's only 30 minutes from my home. Glad I am used to driving to Indy and Madison.

Not unexpected, but it sucks because it's only 30 minutes from my home. Glad I am used to driving to Indy and Madison.
Same here, I liked the 30 minute drive to Joliet. 4 Indy trips so far and Madison this weekend, speaking of which, it looks like it's going to be cold this weekend, should be fast.

Same here, I liked the 30 minute drive to Joliet. 4 Indy trips so far and Madison this weekend, speaking of which, it looks like it's going to be cold this weekend, should be fast.

I will be there. Looking forward to some low e.t.'s as well.

If the reason is poor attendance, no one to blame but themselves the NHRA race was never locally promoted, had higher than average ticket prices, seldom if ever even half full. Still as a local, this IS heartbreaking news, was @ every one of the events normally on Fridays and Sundays. Bring back US 30!!

As a resident of Central Indiana, Route 66 was my favorite track even though Indy is much closer to home. It was odd that it cost more to go to Route 66 than to Indy. Especially during the stretch when they had the 2nd race in the fall, that track combined with cool weather produced very quick ETs. I remember seeing the record quick TAD field one time when Jegs AllStars were there in late September. First time the bump spot was in the 5.30s. The stadium feel of the seating gave a unique atmosphere.

This really sucks... Route 66 Raceway was fun while it lasted.

I realize they have not said anything about going out of business but not many race tracks come back to life after closing. I HOPE I'M WRONG... I love that race track!

They will not be having any auto racing events in 2021, NHRA, NASCAR, etc

Chicagoland Speedway will not be having the NASCAR race (the only major event there that I am aware of), and the Route 66 drag strip will not be having events. The Route 66 dirt track, which apparently operates separately, has posted that they DO intend on having events in 2021, however. We will see if that actually happens.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back