Rt. 66 on it's Last Legs??? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I had tossed around this rumor last year or in '08 I'm not sure, but this could be the last Natl. event at Rt. 66! According to an employee of Don Schumacher racing I was talkin to, the track is in the process of being sold and will be plowed for more parking and camping for the NASCAR track! Be such a shame to see such a awesome Mega track get demolished! Sure hope it can be saved!

If all the fans are treated like the guy in the stroller story on Comp Plus, then I can understand why it may be on the way out.

STOLLERGATE: ROUTE 66'S FAMILY UNFRIENDLY POLICY

seems very 'out of ordinary' for comp. plus to run this story as written.

where's the other side of this story; as in the sign said 'no strollers' maybe
for insurance reasons?
sorry, this disgruntled fan seems to have more time than money; also
with a tendency for 'gutter talk' diplomacy.

an entertainment facility with public seating CAN NOT be all things to
all people, regardless of advertising.

anyone ever hear of 'common sense'?

Last edited:
I haven't read the story about the "Stroller Guy" on CompPlus yet, but I know it was definitely worth staying awake last night to watch the last two rounds at 11:00. That track has yielded some extremely impressive runs and it would be a shame to see it go...

I had tossed around this rumor last year or in '08 I'm not sure, but this could be the last Natl. event at Rt. 66! According to an employee of Don Schumacher racing I was talkin to, the track is in the process of being sold and will be plowed for more parking and camping for the NASCAR track! Be such a shame to see such a awesome Mega track get demolished! Sure hope it can be saved!

anyone have idea/s why this track consistently just can not pull in the
spectator numbers?.....what a great facility.

There was commentary from both the track and the NHRA. So the only part we missed was the photo.

Last edited:
There was commentary from both the track and the NHRA. So the only part we missed was the photo.

Bobby - just thought the fan's profanity was obviously uncalled for.
i can see the track being sympathetic to the man's concerns up until
the 'f-bomb'.......at that point all credibility is lost........IMO

anyone have idea/s why this track consistently just can not pull in the
spectator numbers?.....what a great facility.

it seems like it has been plagued with nasty weather most events too. We have seen lots of rain, 105 degree temps, tornados, etc. I think it was Joe or Paul that mentioned in another thread that when that is forecast a lot of people stay away.
Joe said it though, MARKETING!
When I lived south of Seattle, we saw lots more ads on tv, radio, newspaper, and more coverage during and after too.

I have heard this rumor for years and until I see the crane and wrecking ball at the track I will not believe it.

Joe said it though, MARKETING!
When I lived south of Seattle, we saw lots more ads on tv, radio, newspaper, and more coverage during and after too.

The only advertising I saw for the race was during the Indy 500 and Coke 600. I think every other commercial break had an ad about the local racer Tony Schumacher returning to his home track.

Bobby - just thought the fan's profanity was obviously uncalled for.
i can see the track being sympathetic to the man's concerns up until
the 'f-bomb'.......at that point all credibility is lost........IMO

I have to agree on this. Being in customer service, once a customer starts cussing or hurling insults any attempt to go the extra mile goes right out the window.

BTW, upon hearing this news I just have to say this: Those god damn NASCRAP people! :mad:

The only advertising I saw for the race was during the Indy 500 and Coke 600. I think every other commercial break had an ad about the local racer Tony Schumacher returning to his home track.

I only got to watch part of the 500 before we had to leave home, and forgot to set the DVR. I think I saw one before we left.

I wouldn't expect the current owners to tear down another form of income when the main facility there ... the oval... won't fill up either....

Does one group run the whole facility or does he drag and oval there have seperate people in charge.... thats the question... oval people don't understand where to go to find drag fans or potential drag fans and vise versa for the oval track....

Billy

At last year’s race, a track worker let me stand on his golf cart so I could get some mid-track shots.
After we talked for a while, he told me about the plans to sell the track and make it a parking lot for the nascar track. Given the fact there were probably only 10,000 people there on Sunday, I don’t see how Rt. 66 stays in existence.
It is a beautiful facility and I would hate to see it get plowed under just to be made into a parking lot.
This guy also talked about how bad the track’s management treats the weekend racers. But, he didn’t go into a lot of detail with that remark.

The rumors about RT 66 closing down or being turned into a parking lot or airstrip have been going around since it opened. I'll believe it when I see it.

In the meantime, I'll be there for the next test and tune Friday, June 18 and I'll be match racing with the Horvath Family's Damn Yankee Vega at the Pinks All Out event on June 26.
Stop by and say Hi if you attend either of those events.

They don't have people like Bill Bader Jr. promoting it! I would bet they could find some way to fill that place!

Amen, brother! I said it before and I'll say it again, the best thing that could happen to the NHRA would be ownership and operation under Bader Sr., Jr., and their crew. If that were to ever materialize, we would all be amazed at the amount of changes for the better that would happen, especially in the area of weak-suck spectator attendance. Not overnight, but it would happen.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back