NHRA to Restart in August Now (2 Viewers)

Dennis,

I promise you, at this point all options are on the table. Pomona for the finals is tradition, and it would be nice to keep that tradition, but if California won't let us race there, we will hold the finals somewhere that we are welcome.

Alan

I'm gonna ramble on here...There's something between Optimism & Pessimism, it's called Reality. Other sports can happen with no fans in the seats because they have a TV contract that pays them for the rights to broadcast their product whether it's stick & ball sports, racing, whatever. Because NHRA can't find anybody to buy the rights for drag racing they pay Fox Sports to broadcast the product they produce in-house which costs NHRA a shit-load of money, so they can't race without fans footing the bill and violating the mass-gathering rules. Let's face it, this shit is serious and is going to last for quite a while, I wouldn't count on NHRA having any races this year along with the concert industry who is in a similar predicament.

Down here in Florida right now we're in Phase 1 for opening with Phase 2 supposedly happening in a few weeks. Phase 5 which included mass-gatherings is a long way away so I wouldn't count on the Gators being held in the fall, plus it's in the middle of Hurricane season to boot.

If I was the Czar of the NHRA I'd cancel the 2020 season and start working on 2021. Allow the country's tracks to open up following local rules and see how that works out but to bring in the big show this year with folks from all over the country is attendance is a disaster waiting to happen.

at this stage of the game (and it is a game), dragstrips should be able to open and host events without spectators. (not talking about nat. events)
social distancing in pits/staging lanes would not be a problem at all; for racers and track personnel.
unfortunately race facilities are not huge tax dollar generators like walmarts, targets, costcos, and large grocers.
so we're out. until someone opens and no authority does anything about it. stop being scared. just be careful.

at this stage of the game (and it is a game), dragstrips should be able to open and host events without spectators. (not talking about nat. events)
social distancing in pits/staging lanes would not be a problem at all; for racers and track personnel.
unfortunately race facilities are not huge tax dollar generators like walmarts, targets, costcos, and large grocers.
so we're out. until someone opens and no authority does anything about it. stop being scared. just be careful.
Mike, Texas Motorplex is doing just what you described next weekend with the Lone Star Nationals, which is available via Pay Per View for fans since no spectators will be allowed. https://texasmotorplex.com/news/motorplex-set-to-start-racing-with-historic-lone-star-nationals/

Holding any events where you cannot control social distancing and being six feet apart and small groups is a logistical nightmare and even through many different kinds of racing have spectators sign a waver of release in some states it is against the law and will not stand up in court.
This means they leave themselves wide open for law suits.

I believe Bob Doerrer might be right in just cancelling the entire 2020 season unless they want to run the risk of being sued.

What Wisconsin just did really made the entire problem much worst because the cities and town now have the legal right to simply put a shelter in place order in every town and city which is what many of the them have already done. This means sectioning body now needs to contact every town or city in order to find out if they can even have an events at drag strips or circle tracks.

Liabily just became a big problem for anyone putting on an events.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

So, I just watched a discussion on TV about the creation of a vaccine for the virus. The discussion centered around a timeframe for an effective vaccine and 18 months seemed to be the realistic goal. According to these virulologists for a ready to distribute vaccine. Adding up the time on my abacus puts us into September 2021. So if the criteria for return to any degree of normalcy and large crowd gatherings is a vaccine do (and I believe 2020 won't happen unless the racing without fans policy changes) we accept that next season won't happen either? The impact of this on all entertainment and sports events will be even more devastating than it looks now. I'm betting that the pressure will be put on big time by entertainment and sports businesses to get spectators back in the seats. It's gonna be interesting!

This year is gonna be a wash. no matter what the 6 foot space, It's not gonna work. Hopefully Angus refires up their Niro plant.

I'm gonna ramble on here...There's something between Optimism & Pessimism, it's called Reality. Other sports can happen with no fans in the seats because they have a TV contract that pays them for the rights to broadcast their product whether it's stick & ball sports, racing, whatever. Because NHRA can't find anybody to buy the rights for drag racing they pay Fox Sports to broadcast the product they produce in-house which costs NHRA a shit-load of money, so they can't race without fans footing the bill and violating the mass-gathering rules. Let's face it, this shit is serious and is going to last for quite a while, I wouldn't count on NHRA having any races this year along with the concert industry who is in a similar predicament.

Down here in Florida right now we're in Phase 1 for opening with Phase 2 supposedly happening in a few weeks. Phase 5 which included mass-gatherings is a long way away so I wouldn't count on the Gators being held in the fall, plus it's in the middle of Hurricane season to boot.

If I was the Czar of the NHRA I'd cancel the 2020 season and start working on 2021. Allow the country's tracks to open up following local rules and see how that works out but to bring in the big show this year with folks from all over the country is attendance is a disaster waiting to happen.

Why doesnt nhra run races without fans and charge $10 or $20 a race for nhra.tv or even run a special on nhra.tv for the season. Its better than nothing. The way jobless claims are piling up and the economy running on 7 cylinders doesnt really leave alot of disposable income For fans to attend events if that ever happens.

i just hope teams can hold onto sponsors, id love to know how this works between the two parties? Racing in general is in for some hurdles the next year or so.

Not sure if anyone saw but a smaller motorcycle drag association invited the prostock bikes to run with them at one of their events.

So, I just watched a discussion on TV about the creation of a vaccine for the virus. The discussion centered around a timeframe for an effective vaccine and 18 months seemed to be the realistic goal. According to these virulologists for a ready to distribute vaccine. Adding up the time on my abacus puts us into September 2021. So if the criteria for return to any degree of normalcy and large crowd gatherings is a vaccine do (and I believe 2020 won't happen unless the racing without fans policy changes) we accept that next season won't happen either? The impact of this on all entertainment and sports events will be even more devastating than it looks now. I'm betting that the pressure will be put on big time by entertainment and sports businesses to get spectators back in the seats. It's gonna be interesting!

thats great and all but what about all the people who are against vaccines? if that is the case we will have a lot more to be worried about than racing!

think about this for a minute, if the masks work why cant we just live in crowds with them on?

The masks don't protect you from the virus. It can enter thru your eyes. Masks just protect the person next to you from what you are breathing out of your mouth. I still think it's good to wear the masks, even if it only makes people feel more comfortable. Can't even go into Costco w/o a mask. I saw an article that said Hyundai is working on an ultra violet light to disinfect the inside of the car, but can't allow people inside when the light is on. We keep a box of wipes in the car to disinfect the steering wheel, etc after we've been driving. At times I feel like this is all a bad dream..... argh

Why doesnt nhra run races without fans and charge $10 or $20 a race for nhra.tv or even run a special on nhra.tv for the season. Its better than nothing. The way jobless claims are piling up and the economy running on 7 cylinders doesnt really leave alot of disposable income For fans to attend events if that ever happens.

i just hope teams can hold onto sponsors, id love to know how this works between the two parties? Racing in general is in for some hurdles the next year or so.

Not sure if anyone saw but a smaller motorcycle drag association invited the prostock bikes to run with them at one of their events.
From what I hear they have enough trouble now with the subscribers they have, they would have to upgrade on their end if everyone watched lol

I bought the pay per view for Texas Regional Event next weekend. My grandson is going to first ever Drag Race as a crew member with Randy Meyer Racing, I told him to watch out for that Bug cause there's no cure for it, so I'm really excited for him especially going in at level ! Hope they keep stats on how many pay for tv. I wouldn't mind paying for Nation events if that's what it takes to get the pro level on track.

No question this is a grueling upcoming schedule on all team members and equipment, but remember there was a time when guys made a living match racing nitro funnycars, where 16 events in 16 weekends didn't count the additional Wednesday / Thursday / Friday single night shows spread out across the country. Of course the cars weren't set to 'kill', they were 3 and 4 man crews of entertainers, where half track burnouts often paid a bonus. Guys needed to conserve the equipment, because if you broke on the run the promotor shorted your pay. If you ran out of parts there was no racing - and no paycheck next week. Ouch. Borrowing money to fill the gas tank on the dually and eating bologna sandwiches wasn't unusual.
Of course that was a far cry from todays traveling pro teams and their corporate budgets to fund them running at record levels.
While it's awesome, even the quest for Low ET of The Universe may be on hold this season. It may get interesting to see which mid-level teams sit out events based on wallet size and parts availability as the season grinds on.

Received an email today from Fairplex indicating the LA County Fair has been canceled. It included the following: "For the safety and well-being of our guests, vendors and staff, we announce today that we are canceling the 2020 LA County Fair, following the guidelines of state and county public health officials who are advising against large public gatherings for the remainder of the year."

(Bold is my edit, not from the original email.)

Certainly does not bode well for the Pomona Finals.
This year is gonna be a wash. no matter what the 6 foot space, It's not gonna work. Hopefully Angus refires up their Niro plant.

This is WAY too quick to state. The year being a wash? In terms of what we were used to absofreakinlutely. The fair is STATE SPONSORED so they are going to pull out the surrender flag then to welcome a potential issue. 1. November will change a lot of how this year went. 2. As Alan said, IF we don't get to run anything in CA, we go elsewhere. PLUS. WOOOOSTOCK, it's going on fine thus far. Dallas has a divisional in 2 weeks, still planned and let's see how that goes. USAC is running without fans for now, NASCAR is allowed 900 people per race for now, and they are making up 14 races in 7 weeks and leaving the back half of the schedule alone. It would have been doom and gloom IF things were not getting better. 7/31-8/2 sure looks great right now.

Not too sure about the first race being in Washington. Just talked to my daughter who lives about 5 miles from the dragstrip and she said the governor has said it was doubtful any events with crowds would be open this year. Washington is still in Phase 1 of the 4 phased return to normal process. California is in Phase 2. Large gatherings are part of phase 4.

I'm not sure what to think about the National event deal. Mile Highs are 8-9. Sporty Bandimere “I’m praying like crazy and things are changing drastically across the country,” Sporty said. “What I mean by that is that is you have some racetracks that are packing in fans in the stands and rockin and rollin.
These tracks that are packing in fans what tracks are they and have we heard of anyone testing positive? Wont take much for a mini outbreak to stop all major sporting events.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back