NHRA to Restart in August Now (1 Viewer)

i don't see any fans at nhra races at all this year, and that equals no national events. there is not one article, not one politician that is saying anything even remotely close to
normal spectators/fans at sporting events anytime soon this year........the only one is the nfl who has said it sees it's upcoming season unchanged. bs. like nascar and a few others,
they can play with a tv contract and without fans. and most importantly it's an election year, which means lockdown lengths and methods will be pushed to their limits
until november. it's just the reality of the situation and the split in this country. we're all in a really bad spot rite now if your livelihood is tied to small business. fed reserve chairman powell even said
last nite on 60 minutes that he fears sports and entertainment venues with large crowds will be among the last parts of our economy to come back. he said most likely 2021.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned before, Chances of an NHRA event being normal for the rest of the year, Don't think so with fans involved. And if they did a person absent race and offered a "Pay per View" to watch at home, They can't even get NHRA.tv to work consistently.

Last edited:
in lieu of the gate revenue perhaps they could invoke a reasonable temporary entry fee for all participants, covering the purse and overhead, along with the ppv funds, generated by nhra tv, which in theory should multiply the subscribers since no one can attend in person. nhra personnel who are not directly involved in the running of a national event would have to forgo pay for now. Not fair but there's not to many options. I'm guessing the average touring team can afford an entry fee and would still be providing exposure for their sponsor. And Alan Rienhart can announce the race from his living room ! :p who's gonna know the difference !

If there are no fans, why not run all the events at one central location? Reduce the teams travel expense. The local tracks aren't going to get any gate or concessions anyway. If there is money being made do a revenue share with the tracks that would have been on the revised schedule.

I can't resist posting every so often to this thread. Below are my opinions-I have no inside info, just my opinion.
1. Glen Cromwell has stated that there will be no NHRA National events without fans. It's just not financially viable for NHRA since they do not have TV revenues to support no fans in attendance like NASCAR and the NFL can afford.
2. We are now starting to see more and more states opening up, even California and New York looking to open up for no fan sports events in June. Could we see sports events with fans in August/September in some states-I think it is certainly possible.
3. From the "unofficial" 16 races in 16 weeks schedule, I would think the events that are the most at risk are Seattle, Joliet and St Louis. (The St Louis track is actually in Illinois.) Reading, Sonoma and Pomona would be the next most at risk in my opinion. Who knows with Sonoma/Pomona since they are more than 5 months from now. Even if we lost all 6 of these events, that would still be a 12 race season (10 future plus 2 already held.)

It would seem to me the key would be whether there is a surge in the opening states in hospitalizations and/or deaths. Actual cases reported can be misleading since the more testing that is done the more cases that will be reported.

Since I fly to all the events I attend other than Sonoma, I am more concerned with the safety of flying than I am the safety of attending the event. I have some control over the environment at the event whereas I have very little control of the environment on an airplane.

In looking at the new NHRA schedule, I wonder why August 8-9 dates are not filled yet. Wait a minute, could that be the date for the Norwalk Bader/Force Night of Fire? Coincidence - I think not!

Brian Bianco, you should have listed BIR with your skeptical races. we have a dem. gov., and he is towing the party line. this recently appeared.
dates for phase III and phase IV are not given, but an educated guess says we're talking about at least through the summer, if not further. scroll down. bad news.
i've had it up to my eyeballs with this FS. i can't believe this is happening in this country. enough already.

Last edited:
Brian Bianco, you should have listed BIR with your skeptical races. we have a dem. gov., and he is towing the party line. this recently appeared.
dates for phase III and phase IV are not given, but an educated guess says we're talking about at least through the summer, if not further. scroll down. bad news.
i've had it up to my eyeballs with this FS. i can't believe this is happening in this country. enough already.

Who knows, if Phase II starts 6/1 maybe at least Phase III can open in time for BIR. But I see why you are not optimistic.

So the divisional are now scheduled. Hope Lebanon Valley in New York is good to go with spectators by July 4th but still not optimistic about that.

Thank God we have some good gov'rs in the US. Thinking of Gov Abbott of Texas and Gov Ducey of AZ among others.

So I guess any governor that opens his state wide open for business in your opinion is doing the right thing?
Sorry I see them has trying to figure out the best way to deal with a virus that is killing the American People. This is uncharted water for all of us but the idea of just saying the hell with it and reopening is not something to take with a grain of salt.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

I went to Walmart yesterday, What a $hitfest. They have one way arrows on the floor for the isles, nobody even payed attention to them. Social distancing? Well forget about that too. Not going back there anytime soon!

Jim, AZ is not wide open. It's "open" but on a limited basis. Still gotta wear masks at the airport & most businesses. Some resturants open for dine-in, but limited seating. Social distancing, etc I really kinda wonder what the "new normal" will be in the future. People always eye one another, even in stores. It's almost scary to be out & about. Many places have not re-opened and a number of small stores & resturants are going out of business. I think it is going to be hard for our country to get back to "normal" & a lot of things will change. JC Penney just declared bankruptcy. You know who is buying a lot of their stores? Amazon. I see on-line shopping taking the place of brick & morter stores. Buying cars on line is the norm for now. Ya hafta pray that things get back to normal in this crazy time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back