NHRA to Restart in August Now (1 Viewer)

Hey folks NHRA "HAS NOT" put out a schedule yet. On monday Glen Cromwell said there are many issues that have to be resolved before a final schedule can be put out. They hope to put out the schedule in the upcoming weeks, nothing has been finalized yet. All schedules everyone is looking at are just speculation or are old and outdated.

Not true. Those 12 races in 16 weeks ARE CONFIRMED. No speculation there.

So - I took off both shoes and my socks - then counted Sundays From Aug 2 to Nov 1 and then Nov 1 back to August 2. I can't get 16 races no matter how hard I try. As has been stated these teams will have to have time to reload. It seems reasonable that there is not that much lead time left to get this stuff in place much less changes.

There are exactly 16 Sunday's from 8/2 to season's close on 11/15. It is highly improbable (but they have the full possibility of doing that) that they will run 16 races in 16 weeks, 15, 14, or 13 as well. They could also cancel all the postponed events and keep it at 12 for 14. If eliminations was Saturday, they could very well have rain dates for events or crews can go home Sunday, reload all week and go to the race the next weekend. If they have 0 events to make up on an off weekend, we have no idea if the NHRA will make a quick decision to hold one of the events that was sitting on the cancellation line. We have no idea. Anything could happen, but going 16 for 16, I really do not see that.

So my question remains. Assuming any of these events happen, how do you properly social distance thousands of fans in the stands? Here in good ol' Connecticut, crowds similar in size to a grandstand full of people at an NHRA national event will likely not be allowed this year.

Like Alan said, right now is a moving target. A lot will depend on state by state actions, so it's going to be awhile before we get anywhere close to an actual "confirmed" schedule, IMO. I believe the NFL has confirmed a schedule, does anybody know if that includes fans in the stands?

Am I seeing things? * = 2 day event
1.png
2.png
3.png

Am I seeing things? * = 2 day event.

If this is not the case, why is NHRA saying nothing about it still having to be final? YES, May 4th it said in the next week. By Thursday, THIS was up, schedule link UPDATED. If this is not correct, wouldn't the smart thing to do is not 1. update the link at all and 2. In the 5/4 release A NEW LINK was adding for "Updated 2020 schedule." This is why I said what I have been saying for years, the quality of the NHRA website just went completely downhill 10 years ago and it is still on that track. It used to be the MOST RELIABLE SOURCE, NHRA, posted NOTHING, until it was final. ]

If I wanted incorrect information displayed to me from the # 1 source, there are plenty of "rumor sites" and third party "e-zine and result sites that could do that job right now. Paul posted in here, some schedule from somewhere, along with Sonoma being reschuleded and his info is nowhere to be found. I could make a row and column table and fill in my own dates and call that confirmed to then. Why should I be going to Comp Plus or Drag Race Central to actually get FINAL news and not the NHRA? No problem there? I am sure interested what schedule at this point hits the presses for the next National Dragster..

Last edited:
Am I seeing things? * = 2 day eventView attachment 5945View attachment 5946View attachment 5947

Am I seeing things? * = 2 day event.

If this is not the case, why is NHRA saying nothing about it still having to be final? YES, May 4th it said in the next week. By Thursday, THIS was up, schedule link UPDATED. If this is not correct, wouldn't the smart thing to do is not 1. update the link at all and 2. In the 5/4 release A NEW LINK was adding for "Updated 2020 schedule." This is why I said what I have been saying for years, the quality of the NHRA website just went completely downhill 10 years ago and it is still on that track. It used to be the MOST RELIABLE SOURCE, NHRA, posted NOTHING, until it was final. ]

If I wanted incorrect information displayed to me from the # 1 source, there are plenty of "rumor sites" and third party "e-zine and result sites that could do that job right now. Paul posted in here, some schedule from somewhere, along with Sonoma being reschuleded and his info is nowhere to be found. I could make a row and column table and fill in my own dates and call that confirmed to then. Why should I be going to Comp Plus or Drag Race Central to actually get FINAL news and not the NHRA? No problem there? I am sure interested what schedule at this point hits the presses for the next National Dragster..
I see 3 day events. Lets look at Seattle:
July 31st is a Friday
Aug 1st is a Saturday
Aug 2nd is a Sunday.

The rest of the events follow the same principles...Just sayin

I don't think any permanent set date is feasible until there is a vaccine for Covid-19. Rather than to keep speculating just plan for 2021. I hate this as much as anyone I've been a Drag Racer and fan for 50yrs the losses incurred by teams and Track Owners are going to be massive but we are American's, and we will get though this.

The schedule Patrick posted is old. It still shows dates in July. Glen Cromwell has said they are planning the first races in August. The Governor of Washington stated this week that he doesn't expect to reopen the state for sports this year. Even if the schedule is final, which it isn't if you eliminate Washington they are down to 11 races and it may be less if California doesn't open up and then hope none of the other states are still closed or a race has a weather problem. It's going to be very interesting.

Last edited:
I see 3 day events. Lets look at Seattle:
July 31st is a Friday
Aug 1st is a Saturday
Aug 2nd is a Sunday.

The rest of the events follow the same principles...Just sayin
The schedule Patrick posted is old. It still shows dates in July. Glen Cromwell has said they are planning the first races in August.

@Alan Reinhart stated in his post that the events ARE TWO DAY EVENTS with friday being a warm up day. The term EVENT, THREE DAYS. What matters for qualifying and elims? TWO DAYS. The ASTERISK means it is a 2 DAY EVENT in terms of what matter to pro qual and elims. Why do you think you do not see 4 days listed like we are used to? (thurs-sun as almost all of them were) Because nothing is running Thursday and Friday it does not exactly count.

@Terry Almy what part of it is old? It shows the seattle date as it is. SONOMA, still postponed, says it is the screenshot. Here is a screen shot from 5/14/2019 and if what i posted is not an updated schedule...with events adjusted and moved, then WTF am I seeing? The point is the modification of the schedule has been done as shown in the 2020 lineup to the update last week. If it is not correct, it has ZERO business being public and out for EVERYONE.

Screenshot_2020-05-10 NHRA releases 24-race Mello Yello Drag Racing Series schedule for 2020 s...png

Last edited:
Patrick I can see the same schedule you are looking at. NHRA "HAS NOT" given a final schedule to the race teams. It's still up in the air. Numerous races are still questionable due to state virus restrictions and last week Cromwell said the schedule is weeks away. I would bet that the schedule will be changed before racing starts - whenever that is.

Truce, it would have been better if the nhra just left it up, with no update yet, or say tentative. The last thing NHRA has public stated on it's website is 5/5 with the link that leads you to everything I see. Tells you what has been cancelled, tells you what is questionable, tells you every other series is tentative. For the pro classes, It leads you to the new schedule without tentative or unofficial being anywhere. Alan works for the NHRA, he prob knows a lot more on the status of everything that they do not published. The fans are left in the dark and mislead.

Screenshot_2020-05-10 NHRA announces revised plan to restart 2020 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series.png

Patrick you are absolutely right. They shouldn't be posting a schedule until it's finalized. It's misleading to people to see a race on their website then purchase tickets and if the race is cancelled they have to try to get a refund. They should have something saying- Final schedule has not been determined and will be posted when finalized.

Patrick,

I wish I had inside information to share. I live in Arizona and am a contractor, so even if the offices were open (they're not) I wouldn't be there to be in the loop. I have heard some of the rumors, and don't know why that schedule would have been on nhra.com. Basically, I'm like everyone else. Waiting to hear with the understanding that nothing st this point is certain.

One thing I might be able to clear up is the meaning of "Two Day Race" that means the TF, FC, PS, and PSM classes will qualify Saturday with two runs and race Sunday as usual. Sportsman will run qualifying and time runs Friday. To my knowledge there are no events scheduled to be only two days, Friday will be Sportsman cars only at the "Two day" events.

Alan

Just my .02 so bash away...

Why does NHRA need to end at Pomona? They could race well into late November/early December by scheduling some racing at the southern tracks. What's the weather like in Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, and Gainesville in November?

I'm sure it's easier said than done but it would be nice to see an accommodation to squeeze in some more races.

Until the individual states give the OK to have thousands of people sitting next to each other in the stands, no schedule will ever be "final". Its not a problem getting tracks lined up and race teams in place.. It is a problem gathering a large number of spectators in one group and the NHRA has stated they will not race without spectators. Right now zero states allow this to happen and no state that I know of have posted a firm date for groups this size to assemble. Hard to have a firm schedule with that unknown in place.

Received an email today from Fairplex indicating the LA County Fair has been canceled. It included the following: "For the safety and well-being of our guests, vendors and staff, we announce today that we are canceling the 2020 LA County Fair, following the guidelines of state and county public health officials who are advising against large public gatherings for the remainder of the year."

(Bold is my edit, not from the original email.)

Certainly does not bode well for the Pomona Finals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back