New tracks, real management and NHRA (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
I think the pictures on NHRA.COM of the new Charlotte track ably illustrate what happens when you have determined and conscientious management of a project.

Imagine an NHRA ran by the same people who are building that track.

Mark

I saw those picture too, and it is amazing how far along it has come. I look forward to going to see it in person in September. It will be awesome!!

still makes me nervous going form nothing to national event in just a few months. I hope it works out

It's called fast track engineering. They start with the basic layout, the track surface itself and the basic structural construction of the tower. While they start work on those, the architects work away at defining how the rest of the facility will be constructed, engineering on the fly. Any "hiccups" are dealt with as they arise.

They're using the same principal on the new I 35W Bridge here. They're actually saying they're going to be able to open the new bridge up about 2 months ahead of schedule.

At first glance i saw the neighborhood on the right in the first picture and thought about noise complaints, then i realized that is the top end, so hopefully fewer complains. I also saw the golf course next to the track and had visions of Saturday morning golfers jumping when they start seating the fuel car clutches. Guess I have seen Caddyshack too many times!:D

still makes me nervous going form nothing to national event in just a few months. I hope it works out

We went from a gravel lot to a National Event in 120 days here in Vegas. Bruton has gotten a big head start comparatively on the Charlotte project. I have no worries that it will be done on time and it will be the best facility on tour the second it opens the gates.

Also, how about Bruton already securing title rights for the new drag strip!!! Z-Max Dragway at Concord. Bruton is the man.

I just wish the race wasn't so close to Indy, since I am going to Indy, I won't be able to make it to Charlotte too ....

Last edited:
We went from a gravel lot to a National Event in 120 days here in Vegas. Bruton has gotten a big head start comparatively on the Charlotte project. I have no worries that it will be done on time and it will be the best facility on tour the second it opens the gates.

Also, how about Bruton already securing title rights for the new drag strip!!! Z-Max Dragway at Concord. Bruton is the man.

I just wish the race wasn't so close to Indy, since I am going to Indy, I won't be able to make it to Charlotte too ....

Chris, you took the words right outta my mouth about how quick Vegas was built.

I too am planning on Indy (Dallas too) so Charlotte is not doable for me this year but next year, I'm planning on going.

i'd almost consider foregoing BIR to attend this inaugural race in Charlotte.
should have nascar vs. nhra golfing at course next to track.
pick a charity and raise some money. would be nice touch for inaugural race.
(similar to d. gwynn softball games of past)

if you compare nhra.com pics and google earth, dragstrip should
be almost 3/4 mile long.

Last edited:

Chris is right, I was in Vegass the Dec. before the first April race and I was like "Yeah right" when driving by the track. The Track itself was still dirt, the Tower, suites, bleachers, nothing was up! When I got there for the first race I was like "HOLY SH#T!" When Bruton Smith talks, people listen!;)

Isn't Bruton the owner or big investor in Z-Max ???:):D

FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary

In the interest of fairness, I've listed this link purporting to detail the outcome (in 2003) of the FTC's 2/2001 complaint.

zMAX FTC Ruling - FTC Vs. Oil-Chem Research

Note: This is on the Z-Maz site, so, probably has their spin on it.
I did a very cursory Google seach and did not see anything (beyond 2/2001) from the FTC.
Personally, I think most additives are snake-oil but, IT APPEARS, Z-Max does SOMETHING -perhaps positive - for older cars

I didn't realize the vegas track was built that fast.

Most likely all the engineering and design studies were already done pryer to the OK to build. Drainage and entry/ exit studies were most likely ready to.

Thats the difference between these 10 years to build tracks and the fast " Get R Done " deals Bruton does so cavalierly.
A Vision and the bankroll to back it up is a great combination.
Won't say a thing about NHRA and Vision because they don't seem to like Bruton.
Bruton = Loss of Employment ???????
Don't know how he feels but I assume he demands exceptional qualifications [ they have to accually perform ] in his high placed employees.
Anyone got a can of worms opening pic they can add??

So the question is, how many of these super tracks does Bruton need to gain the leverage for what he wants??????

I know that he is not the end all or be all of drag racing but what he does have is vision and an understanding of what it takes to do it right. great job on the new track.
jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back