Tracks Closing. New destinations? (1 Viewer)

Never been to COTA, but have seen lotsa photos, etc. Always wondered why they didn't build a drag strip there. I think people would come from many states to see a race there.

Never been to COTA, but have seen lotsa photos, etc. Always wondered why they didn't build a drag strip there. I think people would come from many states to see a race there.
Because of what Alexis said. They didn't want to compete with Ennis and Baytown. It's an amazing venue.

Milan would need major upgrades for a National Event. Last time the IHRA held the Northern's there was close to 20 years ago I would guess. They didn't have both nitro classes nor 16 car fields at that time. I'd love it if they could since it's just down the road. Glad they are back opening after a one year hiatus. New owners seem to be putting some money into racing surface. Can't wait to get out there this year.
They have a AHDRA event scheduled for the end of July. Thats a step in the right direction.

if a drag strip were built in COTA, i wonder if NHRA could somehow use the upcoming 2023 las vegas F1 race to promote itself?
bahrain and abu dhabi yas marina already have drag strip/F1 circuit, would be awesome to say we have the same in the USA.
indy cars and nascar are already racing at COTA, let's bring in the nitro machines.......that would be the track with two dates annually, very possibly the finals.

if a drag strip were built in COTA, i wonder if NHRA could somehow use the upcoming 2023 las vegas F1 race to promote itself?
bahrain and abu dhabi yas marina already have drag strip/F1 circuit, would be awesome to say we have the same in the USA.
indy cars and nascar are already racing at COTA, let's bring in the nitro machines.......that would be the track with two dates annually, very possibly the finals.
IndyCar does not run at COTA, a one and done deal, just so that you know, Texas Motor Speedway is the promoter at COTA for the NASCAR race.

The future may require some creative thinking, if teams wish to maintain the current amount of racing and we want to fight to EXPAND the sport, not let it contract.
Here are my ideas:
- Separate the pro classes on occasion and go to smaller venues. For example, maybe you just take the NHRA Top Fuel teams and run at GALOT, or South Georgia Motorsports Park. The venues would be full and look great for TV, the NHRA's pro brand expands and the costs are kept reasonable for track owners.
- Perhaps the NHRA needs to add temporary facilities to its inventory, such as transportable grandstands and corporate facilities that can help bring up smaller tracks to a high standard for a one-off event. This again expands the number of tracks suited to racing.
I actually like the idea of separate pro shows at smaller venues. Lets face it 90% of the fans who show up are there for the pros. One thing you could try at a smaller venue is a smaller but more action packed show. To try something different and maybe try it at a smaller venue, run stock & super stock along with top sportsman and or top dragster along with the pros. Two pro sessions on Friday with Q2 being a night session a "Friday night spectacular" with fireworks, music, pyrotechnics the whole works. You can have a standard Friday ticket and then a separate ticket for just Q2 and folks getting off work. $25/head for a Q2 show within a show. I dont know the logistics of the next part but run a final Q3 Saturday at around 11am with eliminations starting at 2pm which means finals around 7pm or so. Sunday a rain day if need be. I'm not saying this should be the template for all national events but could be perfect for smaller tracks.

Was thinking of Firebrd Raceway in Idaho. That would be a perfect place for, say, an 8 car show w/ T/F, F/C, P/S, Pro Mod and ? They always get good crowds for the events they run. AND a Sat nite race. Still think NHRA should run nite races, especially in summer. A show like this could also run at Tucson, or any number of "small" tracks. Well, just my 30 cents. Usta be 2 cents, but inflation ya know.....

good article on history of atlanta dragway
......but i thought the SK plant was south of track? (see attached towards bottom) and dragstrip/land was purchased by a developer?
or did SK also buy the track?......that SK bldg. has got to be about 1/2 mile long

Attachments

• AtlantaDragway.jpg
    AtlantaDragway.jpg
    809.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
good article on history of atlanta dragway
......but i thought the SK plant was south of track? (see attached towards bottom) and dragstrip/land was purchased by a developer?
or did SK also buy the track?......that SK bldg. has got to be about 1/2 mile long
During the last race broadcast, you could clearly see the large apartment buildings being constructed right behind the pit side of the track....the aerial pictures aren't showing them yet.

1651695106876.png

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back