Tracks Closing. New destinations? (1 Viewer)

Like I've said before, NHRA has to start buying tracks.

If NHRA is going to buy tracks, they are going to have to pay market value for the land. In many cases, the cost of carrying a mortgage for land bought at market value makes operating a drag strip unprofitable.

If NHRA is going to buy tracks, they are going to have to pay market value for the land. In many cases, the cost of carrying a mortgage for land bought at market value makes operating a drag strip unprofitable.
Is Maple Grove still on the market for sale?

Everyone loves drag racing, but being an owner operator is not an easy way to make a living, for sure.
Jimbo

From Phoenix, all we will have in the future is Tucson. Next closest Nat'l events tracks will be Vegas and Pomona. I wish NHRA would look at Tucson for a Nat'l event. AHRA usta run the AHRA Winternats at the old Tucson track and they got a good crowd. I know that Tucson is leased on the Pima County fairgrounds, so that might be something to have to deal with. I can't think of another place in Arizona that a Nat'l event could be held. Maybe someone with LOTS of $$$ could bring Speedworld back to life, but I ain't holding my breath. Land is soooooo expensive in
Phoenix area.
Unfortunately Speedworld is long gone and will never come back. The reason they closed was the county revoked the lease of the land due to a technicality. As much as I would love for Tucson to hold a national event I just dont know if they have the room to expand the pits, In it's current state I dont believe there is enough open land. Another problem would be traffic. If you thought traffic getting in and out of Firebird was a problem Tucson would be way worse because you only have Houghton Rd.

Unfortunately Speedworld is long gone and will never come back. The reason they closed was the county revoked the lease of the land due to a technicality. As much as I would love for Tucson to hold a national event I just dont know if they have the room to expand the pits, In it's current state I dont believe there is enough open land. Another problem would be traffic. If you thought traffic getting in and out of Firebird was a problem Tucson would be way worse because you only have Houghton Rd.
While I don’t know much about the track, they at least seem to think it could be a viable option. Of course it would take a few million dollars or more to make it work. They would need more pavement in the pits, more grandstands and probably a new tower with the needed the luxury suites.

My wife and I drove by the new Tucson Dragway after we had gone to this year’s Arizona Nationals. I was surprised by how small the facility seemed. The other thing I noticed was how close a subdivision just to the east of Houghton is to the track.

The future may require some creative thinking, if teams wish to maintain the current amount of racing and we want to fight to EXPAND the sport, not let it contract.
Here are my ideas:
- Separate the pro classes on occasion and go to smaller venues. For example, maybe you just take the NHRA Top Fuel teams and run at GALOT, or South Georgia Motorsports Park. The venues would be full and look great for TV, the NHRA's pro brand expands and the costs are kept reasonable for track owners.
- Perhaps the NHRA needs to add temporary facilities to its inventory, such as transportable grandstands and corporate facilities that can help bring up smaller tracks to a high standard for a one-off event. This again expands the number of tracks suited to racing.

Is NHRA buying a track in the best interest?

NHRA owned Atlanta Dragway. When urban sprawl overruns the racetrack, it doesn't matter who owns the dirt underneath it. You get run out of business.

Billy Meyer told me that when he built the Motorplex he had a 25 year business plan, and he was thinking that he would be overrun in that time. He feels now like he is on borrowed time, but if you have been there then and now, you would know that civilization is getting closer every year.

Alan
Alan, I agree! Doesn't make no difference whom owns what when NIMBY (not in my back yard) folks get going, and/or corporations who buy the property - feel they make more money leasing the land to storage units or whatever! It is a shame! All the tracks mentioned here would take $$$$$ to bring up to standards.

I don't have an answer!

The future may require some creative thinking, if teams wish to maintain the current amount of racing and we want to fight to EXPAND the sport, not let it contract.
Here are my ideas:
- Separate the pro classes on occasion and go to smaller venues. For example, maybe you just take the NHRA Top Fuel teams and run at GALOT, or South Georgia Motorsports Park. The venues would be full and look great for TV, the NHRA's pro brand expands and the costs are kept reasonable for track owners.
- Perhaps the NHRA needs to add temporary facilities to its inventory, such as transportable grandstands and corporate facilities that can help bring up smaller tracks to a high standard for a one-off event. This again expands the number of tracks suited to racing.
Luke, this seems to be happening in Australia. Am reading about T/F going to smaller tracks, even 1/8 mile, and it seems to be working out. It's been posted on Mater that NHRA should run both 1/4 mile & 1/8 mile (like NASCAR) and that could be a good way to grow drag racing. By the way, what are your thoughts about current Aussie T/F? the way they are running the show is like "round robin", with 2 low ET cars in the final. The thing I like about that format is that the spectators get to see all the cars every round. Not a new idea but it's a good show.

When did Rockingham switch back to NHRA sanction? I know it was an IHRA track for a long time.

January 1, 2015.

cota would be great ..... what about south GA motorsports park in valdosta? between a RR line and a state hwy, but great infrastructure already in place.
could an abbreviated national event be held there? one with limited amount of sportsman classes. run the 3 main pro classes, and have enough room for parking and vendors?
could a nat. event be run without the nitromall and the midway? just have an area for the souvenir trailers? even run an event where you ask the pro teams who have ability to host hospitality
or not, to not have it at a certain race, due to space? ....... i'm just thinking about the atlanta market. maybe there's a small existing dragstrip in GA area that could be expanded to host a nat. event?
atlanta dragway in commerce was nothing special. a few out bldgs, the tower, bleachers and pit/parking area.

A little positive track news: Dragzine.com has an article about a track in north Florida being resurrected by two brothers, they are making a ton of improvements and have some cool sponsor activity lined up.

Milan would need major upgrades for a National Event. Last time the IHRA held the Northern's there was close to 20 years ago I would guess. They didn't have both nitro classes nor 16 car fields at that time. I'd love it if they could since it's just down the road. Glad they are back opening after a one year hiatus. New owners seem to be putting some money into racing surface. Can't wait to get out there this year.

Milan would need major upgrades for a National Event. Last time the IHRA held the Northern's there was close to 20 years ago I would guess. They didn't have both nitro classes nor 16 car fields at that time. I'd love it if they could since it's just down the road. Glad they are back opening after a one year hiatus. New owners seem to be putting some money into racing surface. Can't wait to get out there this year.

You are correct. 2004 was the last IHRA national event there.

Alexis' dad, John Paul is a major stockholder in COTA hence the connection. Could they build a national event facility in a year? Bruton did it at Charlotte...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back