New Tracks (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
In light of some tracks that have have closed or come close, I thought I would start a thread asking for people to post what new tracks are being built or proposed. It seems like I've read about several, but it would be cool to have a list of all the current possibilities. So, who wants to start? Actually, I will, I just remembered reading somewhere, several weeks back, that there is a new track being built not far from me, but closer to Syracuse NY. But, I have no details.

There is a new track going in here in Shelton, WA. They just finished the road course. They plan on building the drag strip this coming spring. Shouldn't have many issues with neighbors, especially since it's a stone's throw from the State Police auto training ground :)

Here's the web site: The Ridge Motorsports Park

beside the Shelton track, another in the NW is said to be right around the corner. I believe in Oregon

Chowchilla, California Motorsports Complex and drag strip, at the web-links provided:

Chowchilla considers development proposal | Video | abc30.com

and, check out this Nitromater Chowchilla threads,

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/29551-new-chowchilla-motorsport-complex-development-schedule.html

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/29011-tulare-super-drag-strip-not-dead-just-moved.html

********UPDATE-12/1/11********************

I have had personal contact with the city of Chowchilla on November 26, 2011 and asked if that had any update and they had this to say:

"There aren't any updates at this time but there may possibly be information out in the next few weeks."

Last edited:
Click here Home

Right now they're waiting to get the final blessing from the FAA to use the south (auxilery) runway which the FAA has given their approval providing some things happen for an 1/8th mile drag strip and auto cross. If not there 170 acres outside of town that has a verbal agreement to be used for the motorsports park. The city has said that they won't zone it for anything else. The airport plan is to use it now while the other property has time to be developed.

And if that doesn't work, it was just discovered that the city owns two lots next to each other totaling 336 acres that they would donate to Parks and Recreation to build the motorsports park it self.

Oh and just down the road is this Lompoc ValleyMotorsports Park
This will be an 1/8th mile for street legal cars only.

Last edited:
There's a brand new $400M dollar track being built right now here in Austin.........;)

Too bad the estimated top speed is ONLY 200mph.

In light of some tracks that have have closed or come close, I thought I would start a thread asking for people to post what new tracks are being built or proposed. It seems like I've read about several, but it would be cool to have a list of all the current possibilities. So, who wants to start? Actually, I will, I just remembered reading somewhere, several weeks back, that there is a new track being built not far from me, but closer to Syracuse NY. But, I have no details.

Here is the information on the Syracuse track. Circle track and road course are to be built this year, and if all goes well, the drag strip in 2013. CNYRP

Here is the information on the Syracuse track. Circle track and road course are to be built this year, and if all goes well, the drag strip in 2013. CNYRP

Wow. Of all the places to build this-I would think that the Syracuse market is quite saturated with dirt tracks. (Brewerton-Weedsport-Fulton-Fonda? are all within 20 miles or so IIRC.) And you have ESTA right up the road for dragstrips (I know--FAR from state of the art.) And Watkins Glen about 1 hour away.
I'm all for new track--but hopefully not at the expense of another track. I just wish they'd build this 3 or 4 hours east. :D

There's a brand new $400M dollar track being built right now here in Austin.........;)

Too bad the estimated top speed is ONLY 200mph.

did they finaly start back work on it?.. last word everyone stopped and walked off the job....ordered my the developers...

UPDATE: CHOWCHILLA MOTORSPORTS COMPLEX/DRAG STRIP

DATE: 12/3/11

Dropped by the group yesterday that works with us on our motor program. The manager there is the track manager of a NASCAR track. Left with him a copy of the Chowchilla contract, master site plan/schedule and all parcel and topographical maps. He indicated he will be in Daytona Beach a week from now at NASCAR headquarters for a track managers meeting. It is his intent to bring the contract and maps with him and discuss the matter with NASCAR officals and will let me know what's up when he returns-I will pass on when he when he returns.

;):):D

Lance, $400 Million doesn't buy a track that can handle 200mph+? Or is the number $40 mil? Not being a smarta$$ but that seems like a stout number.

Lance is speaking of Austin's new F1 track ... everything in F1 starts with 100's of millions ...

Wish it would have a 3/4 mile or so straight flat section!

Jeff

did they finaly start back work on it?.. last word everyone stopped and walked off the job....ordered my the developers...

The project is dead. Technically, they have until December 6th to submit their application for the race to the World Motorsports Council, but there is NO WAY they will have all of their ducks in a row by then. Uncle Bernie (Ecclestone) probably knew that project was moribund before they did, hence the street track in Jersey for '13.

The issue is Austin is public funding. When the project was announced early last year, the state of Texas guaranteed $250 million to the developer (billionaire Red McCombs) in 10 annual installments of $25 million. McCombs and his partners secured the land and started development then the state backed out of their funding a few weeks ago. McCombs shut the project down and nothing has happened since except a bunch of lawsuits. It is a shame, because a lot of exciting things were going to happen with that track besides F1. Australian Supercar V8s and the DTM were both planning to have rounds there.

The project is dead. Technically, they have until December 6th to submit their application for the race to the World Motorsports Council, but there is NO WAY they will have all of their ducks in a row by then. Uncle Bernie (Ecclestone) probably knew that project was moribund before they did, hence the street track in Jersey for '13.

The issue is Austin is public funding. When the project was announced early last year, the state of Texas guaranteed $250 million to the developer (billionaire Red McCombs) in 10 annual installments of $25 million. McCombs and his partners secured the land and started development then the state backed out of their funding a few weeks ago. McCombs shut the project down and nothing has happened since except a bunch of lawsuits. It is a shame, because a lot of exciting things were going to happen with that track besides F1. Australian Supercar V8s and the DTM were both planning to have rounds there.

WOW! Red McCombs scratched out a big check, severed ties with the original promoter, resumed construction on the Circuit of the Americas and the race is on Next Year's F1 schedule (November 12th, penultimate round). I am STUNNED that all of this occurred in less than a week, and a big part of me is skeptical the race will actually go off ... but I am excited and will be there if it goes off as scheduled!

WOW! Red McCombs scratched out a big check, severed ties with the original promoter, resumed construction on the Circuit of the Americas and the race is on Next Year's F1 schedule (November 12th, penultimate round). I am STUNNED that all of this occurred in less than a week, and a big part of me is skeptical the race will actually go off ... but I am excited and will be there if it goes off as scheduled!

chris, just read this on espn.com today - very familar with mccombs up here
in MN - used to own the vikings (among other pro franchises) - bought them for 200m, sold for 600m 3 or 4 years later - guy's no dumby.
hopefully he's got his ducks in a row with eccelstone, who seems to find ingenious ways to get folks to build brand new F1 circuits and
abandons ones not too old (like george's multi-million dollar investment @ IMS that only lasted a handful of years)
article went to say that NJ is on 2013 f1 schedule!
wow, would be something, two races over here.
saw the proposed circuit - rite on banks of NJ hudson w/manhattan
midtown & upper west side skyline as backdrop.

There's talk about a new Speedway complex here in the metro area that would include a dragstrip.

Speedway looking at Scott County

I didn't hear about the presentation mentioned until it was too late, or I would have been there as a vocal supporter. This would be right down the road from me. About ten minutes away. You bet you can build this thing in my backyard!!! :D

But, knowing the fate of past attempts to build a racetrack here, I'll believe it when I hear them firing the first pair.........

Last edited:
Wow. Of all the places to build this-I would think that the Syracuse market is quite saturated with dirt tracks. (Brewerton-Weedsport-Fulton-Fonda? are all within 20 miles or so IIRC.) And you have ESTA right up the road for dragstrips (I know--FAR from state of the art.) And Watkins Glen about 1 hour away.
I'm all for new track--but hopefully not at the expense of another track. I just wish they'd build this 3 or 4 hours east. :D

as much as another NY Track is good, this is more tighter than Lebanon Valley, How are you going fit grandstands on the 1-81 Side of the track. How bout pits and staging lanes? This screams Nitro Jam track to me.

From the F1 page:

Formula 1? - The Official F1? Website

Looks promising!

This race will happen next year on November 18th. The track is pretty far along and will be completed in time. Also, the state funding has not been withdrawn, but it won't be paid until after the event is completed.

Formula 1 breaks ground: A sneak peek at Circuit of the Americas - 2011-Nov-03- CultureMap Austin

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back