What's with tracks behaving like crybabies lately? (1 Viewer)

.If I could give Larry no stars, that's what he deserves! Quite frankly, I'm surprised he has any positive reviews. Spent thousands of dollars to rebuild a classic engine and it leaks water at the head bolts, and has from day one. Called Larry and he suggested I pour leak stop in my radiator. REALLY LARRY......are you kidding me? And then he says, they do it all the time with new engines. Stand behind your work Larry. Be a man, and don't make excuses for your shoddy workmanship. Will never use these clowns again, and will warn everyone to stay away from Valley Head Service if you want a quality build. VERY disappointing Larry, you should know better at your age!

Hey Gino, I've had your dad do work for me back in the day and it was always first class. In addition I've purchased second hand the results of Valley Head Service and it also was 5 star. Your dad's shop has a great reputation that's well earned over and over for many years. Ignore d!@k heads like that and consider the source.

Thanks John. I think it is a shame that society has lost it's moral compass and the feeling that is someone doesn't get what they want or have it their way, they will go out of their way to punish others.

In the end, they in turn punish themselves because they cannot scenes the repercussions than may come about.

Yeah, I moved to AZ in 1981, so have missed the "new" tracks in LA. Have seen a lot of videos, so I kinda know what they are like. Gino said that a lot of the tracks closed cuz of the land value (OCIR is a good example). Everything is so expensive in LA area that I would be surprised if a new track were to be built there. I wish someone could re-open Speedworld in Phx area, but the land is owned by the State, so maybe they wouldn't be open to it. The track is still there, but would need a ton of work to get it back in shape.

It's likely OCIR would have enjoyed another several years except under the management (of a person I won't name) the reputation of the track went down the toilet. Instead of drag races we were treated to drag races and heavy metal band rock groups performing on flat bed semi trailers parked on the starting line. This brought in an element that was there to get stoned and watch the band instead of drag race fans watching drag racing. Then the riots started and the news media focused on the fights and rioting rather than race results. Fires including burning down concessions stands, windows smashed in the tower, etc. No drag race fan would do this to their track. The final straw was (I saw it happen) when someone standing in the section of grandstands on the pit side next to the tower threw a beer bottle at the rioters who boarded the flat bed trailer where the band was supposed to play. The bottle hit a guy in the forehead and killed him. The news media in Los Angeles went nuts, and people decided rather than getting killed at a drag race they would stay home. The place never recovered, and the Irvine Company, who owned the property, decided they didn't want to be liable for this style of "entertainment" at track built on their property. New management came in a cleaned up OCIR's reputation but the damage was already done.

ocir-1981-popular-hot-rodding-jpg.4092

Attachments

• OCIR 1981 Popular Hot Rodding.jpg
    OCIR 1981 Popular Hot Rodding.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 139
Hi Randy, I had not known about the guy getting killed. Maybe that happened after I moved to AZ in 1981. Sigh I did go to a lot of great races at OCIR. In it's day, it really was a super track. By the way, that is a nice looking altered in the photo. You had an Arias engine. Always thought those were good engines. Gene Adams made one fly in the Asian Flew A/A. (I think I spelled that right)

Hi Randy, I had not known about the guy getting killed. Maybe that happened after I moved to AZ in 1981. Sigh I did go to a lot of great races at OCIR. In it's day, it really was a super track. By the way, that is a nice looking altered in the photo. You had an Arias engine. Always thought those were good engines. Gene Adams made one fly in the Asian Flew A/A. (I think I spelled that right)

New Visions built the altered for me and I was making some shake down runs with a big block Chevy in it. Shortly there after, the phone rings and it was Dave Calvert (Now part of the "C at CP Pistons), the piston engineer at Arias. He said he and Nick Arias, Jr, saw my car and wanted to run one of their Hemi Chevy's in it. We ran it for a couple of years and put about 250 runs on it. I ran it just about every weekend OCIR was open. When OCIR was closing I sold the car. Before the altered I ran a neighbor's car call called "Vicious Vette" after his wife gave him an ultimatum. I drove that car in Bracket One as a teenager, then built the altered.

DS4.jpg

Vicious Vette 2.jpg

Thanks for the story Randy. One of my most vivid memories of OCIR is the beehive under the stairs going up to the tower and some guy took a squirt bottle to it. Needless to say, all hell broke loose.

Thanks for the story Randy. One of my most vivid memories of OCIR is the beehive under the stairs going up to the tower and some guy took a squirt bottle to it. Needless to say, all hell broke loose.

I hadn't heard that one. My fondest memories of hanging out in the third floor of the tower had to do with the pyramid parties and watching people (won't name any names but it funded a few funny cars) walk out with thousands of dollars under their hats. Mike English?

Has anybody here read the back of a NHRA race ticket?
You basically give up all your rights including Track ownership, participants, contract employees ands all NHRA employees should anything happen to you during the event and you have no ability to seek compensation.
And all photos or video is for your private viewing and not to be published on any form of social media unless prior approval has been granted.
Just sayin!

Has anybody here read the back of a NHRA race ticket?
You basically give up all your rights including Track ownership, participants, contract employees ands all NHRA employees should anything happen to you during the event and you have no ability to seek compensation.
And all photos or video is for your private viewing and not to be published on any form of social media unless prior approval has been granted.
Just sayin!
They can claim all they want but the law says otherwise. NASCAR tried that crap with pics/video and it backfired on them. As soon as you hit the shutter button on the camera YOU own the copyright, end of story.

In the state of Nevada, the law says you are not allowed to give up any rights even if you sign anything stating that you are willing to do so, the Courts here in Nevada would throw out the NHRA ticket as not valid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back