Mike dunn is right (1 Viewer)

Some of ya'll just crack me up.

What you see on TV or from the stands may 'look' like they are standing close, but they are generally a safe distance and those individuals are accountable for their OWN actions and distances. NHRA cannot, and should not control who goes where on the starting line, it's the crews running those to cars that are about to race, not NHRA, not ESPN2 and certainly not the fans.

Actually, the odds are the same and will remain the same. However, the probability of an accident increases (infinitesimally) with each safe run.

Why is that? The probability of a random event happening is independent of previous events. It is still a 50% chance of flipping heads no matter the result of the previous 25 flips.

When you are pushing a car by the roll bar, or adjusting a wheelie bar, you don't just LOOK close...you are close. TOO CLOSE. It's a dangerous practice and should be BANNED.

A car should be prepaired in the pits NOT on the starting line. imo

What about when a crew guy lifts the body of a funnycar after the burn out...How safe is that

IMO that too should be stopped. We've already run over crewmen at least 3 times I know of. The last time we had one guy lose teeth and the other had his pants blown off and burned legs.

Why is that? The probability of a random event happening is independent of previous events. It is still a 50% chance of flipping heads no matter the result of the previous 25 flips.

Another math opportunity.

Emperical Probability Formula:

P(E) = # of times event E occurs / total # of occurences

Say someone gets injured pushing a car to the line once every 1000 runs

P(E) = 1 / 1000 = .001 or .1%

and

P(Enot) = 1-.001 = .999 or 99.9% (probably of not getting injured on a run)

Each run as you mentioned is independent. Putting the probabilities of two independent events together we get the following:

P(E AND F) = Probability of E and F happening = P(E) * P(F)

Lets say event F = event E

then P(E AND E) = Probability of E happening twice = P(E)*P(E) or P(E)^2

Or generically P(E) happening N times (keeping in mind each E is independent) = P(E)^N where N equals number of times E happens

For our example P(Enot) = .999 and P(Enot) happening N times is .999^N

(a) N=1 P(Enot)^N = .999^1 = .999 = 99.9%
(b) N=10 P(Enot)^N = .999^10 = .990 = 99.0%
(c) N=100 P(Enot)^N = .999^100 = .905 = 90.5%
(d) N=1000 P(Enot)^N = .999^1000 = .367 = 36.7%

(a) Probability of not getting injured on each run is 99.9%
(b) Probability of not getting injured in any of 10 runs is 99.0%
(c) Probability of not getting injured in any of 100 runs is 90.5%
(d) Probability of not getting injured in any of 1000 runs is 36.7%

This just means that the more times you push a car to the line, even if the probability is remote, your pressing your luck further as time goes on. (Note that it is not a sure thing that you will get injured in 1 of 1000 runs even if the odds are 1 in 1000, its only 63% that you would)

I think my math is correct - I didn't fully understand my statistics class...

One bit of common sence, the probability of getting injured while pushing the car to the line if you do not push the car to the line is 0 no matter how many runs you do.

Ummmm, yeah....what Nick said. If you DON"T push a car-you can't get hurt pushing a car.

After the car backs up and stops from the burn out, the driver ONLY should move the car.

Thanks Nick..I have a headache now.

Isn't this just much adoo about nothing?

I don't like the teasing of the bull thing with the pro stocks..but for cryin out loud..can't lift the hood to make an adjustment..hell they have to make an adjustment!! Gimme a break. And trying to save a clutch on the burnout..jeez..if Alan wants to do it..I'd be in.

Thanks Nick..I have a headache now.

Isn't this just much adoo about nothing?

I don't like the teasing of the bull thing with the pro stocks..but for cryin out loud..can't lift the hood to make an adjustment..hell they have to make an adjustment!! Gimme a break. And trying to save a clutch on the burnout..jeez..if Alan wants to do it..I'd be in.

Pretty much. I'm one crew person, and based on a slow year a couple years ago, I was on the starting line around 203 times. That's between five cars. Multiply that by how many years I've been doing this gig, and that's roughly about 1600 times I've been on the starting line, and injuries on the starting line...ZERO. Injuries I've seen on the starting line...ZERO. Now, granted, this is Super Comp/Super Gas/Top Dragster but I can assure you that the starting line is probably the most attentive place you can be.

I've gotten more injuries in the staging lanes, than on the starting line. (Including some burn out rocks smacking me, but if NHRA has dudes like Timmy sweeping the box, it'd be okay).

I'll leave the spectating to the fans, if they leave the crewing to me.

You've seen zero, right, thats cause when yer not at the line for one of your cars, yer in the pits. Us 'fans" watch the line all day. It was just a couple yrs ago at Indy two or three of the Ped crew were hurt with just one quick blip of the throttle.

Pretty much. I'm one crew person, and based on a slow year a couple years ago, I was on the starting line around 203 times. That's between five cars. Multiply that by how many years I've been doing this gig, and that's roughly about 1600 times I've been on the starting line, and injuries on the starting line...ZERO. Injuries I've seen on the starting line...ZERO. Now, granted, this is Super Comp/Super Gas/Top Dragster but I can assure you that the starting line is probably the most attentive place you can be.

I've gotten more injuries in the staging lanes, than on the starting line. (Including some burn out rocks smacking me, but if NHRA has dudes like Timmy sweeping the box, it'd be okay).
Sorry to inform ya this Jenn but i have hung up the broom. But i left on good terms so if this writin thang dont work i know i have a place to go back to. :)

When you are pushing a car by the roll bar, or adjusting a wheelie bar, you don't just LOOK close...you are close. TOO CLOSE. It's a dangerous practice and should be BANNED.

IF we wanted to be THAT SAFE, we would stay indoors and just watch tv all day.

Sorry to inform ya this Jenn but i have hung up the broom. But i left on good terms so if this writin thang dont work i know i have a place to go back to. :)

Sorry Tim, I was referring to the OTHER Timmy anyway ;) heehee.

Seriously, if NHRA regulates this stuff, it's going to be like the Obama administration, regulating breathing for emissions standards next....:rolleyes:

Still haven't decided on the LODRS yet. Mom's got a pretty purple cast now though!

My very first time on the starting line crewing on a small block top alcohol dragster at new defunct Connecticut International Drag Way. Was 1982 I think One of those rocks. Or a bolt. or Debris during the burnout sent me to a hospital. went home and to an eye surgeon. detached retina. Lucky it hit between my temple and my left eye.

Stuff can happen anywhere. I took a hard fall behind the tower Saturday in Tulsa. Mangled my left foot and ankle pretty good. This is what my feet looked like when I got home Monday. Luggage, crutches and airports are a lousy mix.

bigfoot3.jpg

Stuff can happen anywhere. I took a hard fall behind the tower Saturday in Tulsa. Mangled my left foot and ankle pretty good. This is what my feet looked like when I got home Monday. Luggage, crutches and airports are a lousy mix.

bigfoot3.jpg

Ouch, my mom is going through that, but she broke her ankle coming up the steps to our house. She's been 'hop along casidy' for almost two weeks. Yesterday she got a big purple Barney Cast on it.

Hey Paul,
Next time you are at a national event...if you go to them...take your level and check the area where the wheelie bars contact the racing surface...maybe you will change your mind about adjusting wheelie bars...if its only done in the pits more than likely you will see your favorite p/s against the wall...is that what you want? We have been told not to touch the car after the pre-stage bulb is lit...trust me I don't want take a ride in a p/s via the wheekie bars!!!:D

Have a great day!!

Hey Paul,
Next time you are at a national event...if you go to them...take your level and check the area where the wheelie bars contact the racing surface...maybe you will change your mind about adjusting wheelie bars...if its only done in the pits more than likely you will see your favorite p/s against the wall...is that what you want? We have been told not to touch the car after the pre-stage bulb is lit...trust me I don't want take a ride in a p/s via the wheekie bars!!!:D

Have a great day!!
Yeah you have a hard enough time dodging Mike during the burnout 'BIG AL'! :) But you are getting away earlier than last year. It was great to see ya in Vegas bro. Thanks for letting 'FAST STANLEY' take a ride with Mike in round one. SORRY ABOUT THE RED LIGHT IN ROUND TWO. 'STAN' got excited and bumped Mike's left leg.

See ya here in Denver in a few weeks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back