Sandy Wilkins to compete in ADRL Extreme 10.5 at Richmond (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]7-22-09) Raleigh, NC - The ADRL heads-up scene has proven too alluring to pass up for longtime Top Sportsman racer Sandy Wilkins. Widely known for his small block engine magic, Wilkins plans to mix it up in the Extreme 10.5 class this weekend at Richmond Motorsports Park, site of the ADRL Nationalguard.com U.S. Drags II. "We've been working on a new small block Chevrolet combination non-stop for the last 3 months, and we're ready to debut it in Virginia this weekend," says Wilkins, who will enter his first ADRL event this weekend.

Widely recognized for his power-packing small block technology, Wilkins, who was first to take a small block/powerglide car into the 6 second zone, not only wants to make waves in the 1/8 mile-contested Extreme 10.5 category, but also hopes to expand the business horizons of Wilkins Motorsports. "I'm known for my small block engine program, but I seem to have a difficult time conveying to many of my customers that I build big engines also," says Wilkins, adding that he'll be delivering a 738 engine to a customer in Virginia this weekend.

Sandy Wilkins is no stranger to the heads-up scene, and is a two-time winner at Piedmont Dragway this year while competing in the brand new Renegade series. As for the ADRL, Wilkins believes this platform is a perfect arena to unveil his new program in front of a large audience. "I view the ADRL series as a massive opportunity for exposure for my business, and as far as racing goes, I've always believed that you don't get better by beating your sister," laughs Wilkins. "These are the best racers in the world, and I'll consider it a success if I can qualify during my first ADRL outing." In addition to growing his engine business, Wilkins also hopes to bring greater awareness to his line of light weight wheelie bar wheels and wheelie bar adjusting wrenches. For more information about Wilkins Motorsports, please visit: Wilkins Motor Sports.

Sandy Wilkins career at a glance:

*21 IHRA Top Sportsman final rounds
*6 time IHRA National Event winner
*Finished second in the world twice in IHRA Top Sportsman points
*2 IHRA divisional wins
*NHRA Top Sportsman divisional champion 2003
*4 NHRA divisional event wins
*First IHRA small block/powerglide in the 6's
*First IHRA small block/powerglide over 200mph.
*Heads-up event wins in Top Dawg and Renegade series

Story and photo by Van Abernethy

Attachments

• mail wilkins.jpg
    mail wilkins.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 6
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back