Maybe its just me but... (1 Viewer)

We are accelerating just fine thank you, no one is "coasting". It's the rate of acceleration that's held back. We still go ~1.4 seconds to 60 foot, 0-60 in less than a second, and are doing ~130 at half track. All way faster than most other sportsman classes. We just alter the rate to get the incredibly tight racing at the other end: many races decided by less than a thousandth.

Don't hate what you don't understand. Stand at the finish line and watch, or better, ask someone who does.

No one is saying S/C is not quick + fast. I love the launch. It's right after that
when they " hold back the rate of acceleration" as you say, it gets dull.

I'll stand with you at the finish line, if you'll sit with me at 150ft and see them idle past.

I'll stand with you at the finish line, if you'll sit with me at 150ft and see them idle past.

I've watched SC racing from all kinds of places, the starting line to the finish line. I can watch it from anywhere, it's great. And if you call 4000 RPM "idle" then I'd like to see your car... But I'll gladly sit there and explain what you clearly don't understand.

it's funny that people assuming others don't understand something just because the other person isn't a fan of it...

it's funny that people assuming others don't understand something just because the other person isn't a fan of it...

The use of words like "idling" and "coasting" clearly indicate a lack of understanding. Here's a graph of the drive shaft RPMs on our 172 MPH SC car. Show me the "idling" or "coasting" part?

dsrpm.jpg

The use of words like "idling" and "coasting" clearly indicate a lack of understanding. Here's a graph of the drive shaft RPMs on our 172 MPH SC car. Show me the "idling" or "coasting" part?
coasting.jpg

LOL that's a DRIVE SHAFT RPM graph Christopher. Now show us a histogram of engine RPM. But you can still see the coasting part I outlined in the green

Last edited:
LOL that's a DRIVE SHAFT RPM graph Christopher.

Exactly. A slingshot effect created by the strong initial acceleration which carries through the duration of the throttle stop action and subsequent reduction in power.

I still don't understand why it wouldn't work to use the stop at the top end, or just throttle stop the entire run - limit the throttle blades to a percentage of WOT with a 5-cent screw - and tune the car to 8.90 that way. A major event winner explained to me that they'd actually tried it all 3 ways and the low-end method was more precise and more tunable.

I think affordable and fast racing with .003 packages, etc. is pretty cool. I drove a friend's SC dragster (no stop) years ago and it was a ball to drive. But Super t-stop racing, to me, is like watching motorcycle Trials, where they ride two MPH straight up and down piles of rocks. Total precision, a rush if you're the one riding, or in our case, driving, but like watching paint dry if you don't race that class.

I've watched it at the stripe and it's exciting. You Super racers are good, I'll say that. I still wish you'd toss those things.:)

Last edited:
Exactly. A slingshot effect created by the strong initial acceleration which carries through the duration of the throttle stop action and subsequent reduction in power.

I still don't understand why it wouldn't work to use the stop at the top end....
I think because everyone wants to be the chaser, instead of the chasee???

Other than the throttle stop classes (sorry in advance to anyone here who races them) I like all forms of drag racing. In fact, super stock is one of my favorite classes.

Then again, I grew up around grass roots racing (my father used to race heavy eliminator.... I think that's now part of stock) so maybe I'm in the minority of the drag racing fan base.

LOL that's a DRIVE SHAFT RPM graph Christopher. Now show us a histogram of engine RPM. But you can still see the coasting part I outlined in the green

coasting (v): To move without further use of propelling power.

Explain to me how acceleration from 1500rpm to 4000rpm is "coasting".

No, it's not at WOT, but it's still accelerating quite strongly, thank you.

Reading the original post of this thread was like Déjà vu. I've been watching for only last 15 years or so, but I too am not as into the drags as I was (although still totally into it). I think its in part because of the amount of exposure its getting. When I started watching it - the drag show would be on ESPN2 at 10:30 on a Tuesday a week after the event (if at all). I remember either staying up late to watch it or taping it and re-playing it over and over till the next race came on. And going onto the then brand new NHRAonline.com site to see how they were running. Watching the records fall etc... Then that one day the tour would be close enough to home where we could go watch a day of qualifying, better then christmas. Back then it was John Force in FC, Warren Johnson in PS, and Kenny Bernsteain in TF. But with every round of every race (never first round) and most qualifying (except highlights) not on TV, you wouldnt get the oversaturation of the dominating teams - which is kinda whats happening for me right now.

The other Déjà vu was with talking to my dad, who has been a fan since the 60's. When talking about the races, we always talk about how boring its getting, with the restrictions put on the cars and the astronomical cost to run, it is the same people every week (with the exception of Bode last race - which he did not get to see because both the qualifying and eliminations were on so late he missed the entire race). The same ideas keep coming up - Why pro stock bike? Why not pro mod at every race? Why are they still running 1000' (wasnt that at temporary fix?), Why are the stands so empty? Why are the fields so slim? We've been asking these questions for the past few years with really nothing being done to address these questions.

Not to pick on the PSB's (again) but seriously, what percentage of ESPN viewers are tuning in to watch them... and what percentage of people showing up at the track are moving to the stands to watch them? I would be interested to see a poll on which class a fan would rather watch PSB or Pro Mod. It seems like a simple change.... Why not?

Reading the original post of this thread was like Déjà vu. I've been watching for only last 15 years or so, but I too am not as into the drags as I was (although still totally into it). I think its in part because of the amount of exposure its getting. When I started watching it - the drag show would be on ESPN2 at 10:30 on a Tuesday a week after the event (if at all). I remember either staying up late to watch it or taping it and re-playing it over and over till the next race came on. And going onto the then brand new NHRAonline.com site to see how they were running. Watching the records fall etc... Then that one day the tour would be close enough to home where we could go watch a day of qualifying, better then christmas. Back then it was John Force in FC, Warren Johnson in PS, and Kenny Bernsteain in TF. But with every round of every race (never first round) and most qualifying (except highlights) not on TV, you wouldnt get the oversaturation of the dominating teams - which is kinda whats happening for me right now.

The other Déjà vu was with talking to my dad, who has been a fan since the 60's. When talking about the races, we always talk about how boring its getting, with the restrictions put on the cars and the astronomical cost to run, it is the same people every week (with the exception of Bode last race - which he did not get to see because both the qualifying and eliminations were on so late he missed the entire race). The same ideas keep coming up - Why pro stock bike? Why not pro mod at every race? Why are they still running 1000' (wasnt that at temporary fix?), Why are the stands so empty? Why are the fields so slim? We've been asking these questions for the past few years with really nothing being done to address these questions.

Not to pick on the PSB's (again) but seriously, what percentage of ESPN viewers are tuning in to watch them... and what percentage of people showing up at the track are moving to the stands to watch them? I would be interested to see a poll on which class a fan would rather watch PSB or Pro Mod. It seems like a simple change.... Why not?

Nick, I like you think PSB is like watching Paint dry! But because of sponsor $$$ They aren't going away anytime soon. Look at it this way, every fan needs a Crapper/Beer class! PSB just happens to be mine.

I think because everyone wants to be the chaser, instead of the chasee???

The post of the year concerning thottle stop racing.
You explained thottle stop racing in 15 words or less.:)

Chris, do the graph start when you let go of the transbrake or after the car leaves?

This discussion of the throttle stop classes reminds me of an exchange between my parents. A TV variety show had on a dish spinning act.
Dad, "What's the point of this?"
Mom, "That's very difficult and takes a lot of practice."
Dad, "What's the point?"

If the discussion is about fan preferences, throttle stops lose. In fact, the very words "throttle stop" do not belong at a racetrack.

If the discussion is about the racers, what they want, and the skill involved, then the throttle stop manufacturers will continue to bring in the big bucks.

Drag racing is participant heavy and must always consider the competitors' needs and desires. When the emphasis shifts to bringing in new fans and making for exciting racing, racers must understand that esoteric and confusing rules designed to keep a racer constituency happy may not work.

We need to ramp up the support for the Lucas Oil DRS, in my view, so that the National events can be a showcase.

If we want to race in future, we need to ensure the financial viability of the sport by increasing the number of non-participant fans.

Cheers,
Ed
Overheard at a recent race, "What kind of a racer is a no-box?"

Chris, do the graph start when you let go of the transbrake or after the car leaves?

Neither. This graph is a couple years old (at a crappy track, as you can see), but I believe this is one where I have set zero to when the transbrake released. Note that this is NOT when the button is released, because of the delay in the box.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back