Maters - Please Help! (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Nitro Member
I'm losing my mind and I'm hoping you can help... So here I am reading my latest edition of National Dragster and Phil Burgess asks the question: Who are the 1st 13 drivers to record wins in both Top Fuel & Funny Car - Whit is trying to be the 14th. Here's who I came up with (in no particular order):

Don 'The Snake' Prudhomme
Kenny Bernstein
Frank Hawley
Mike Dunn
Tommy Johnson Jr.
Ron Capps
Gary Scelzi
Scott Kalitta
Ed 'Ace' McCulloch
Jim Head

Not quite sure about:
Gene Snow
Mark Oswald
Connie Kalitta

So, assuming the three 'not quite sures' actually did it, then I'm done, but if one or all of them didn't, then I need to know who the rest are.

Mark Oswald definitely, he won 2 Top Fuel wins in 1982, finished 2nd overall that year before switching to Funny Cars in '83.

Gene Snow definitely, driving his Rambuctious Funny Cars, and then got his first Top Fuel win at the 1985 Fallnationals...................

Mongoose won several in Funny Cars, and I know that he won Top Fuel in the Mobil Oil dragster at the 1991 Summernationals. He may also have a Top Fuel win or 2 from the early years.

Last edited:
By "win" does he mean a match race, event, or championship?
Didn't Shirley "Cha-Cha" Muldowney win in the Bounty Huntress Ford Funny Car?
(Well - wait. Come to think of it, I don't know if that was with another sanctioning body - or even at an "event" per se.)

By "win" does he mean a match race, event, or championship?
Didn't Shirley "Cha-Cha" Muldowney win in the Bounty Huntress Ford Funny Car?
(Well - wait. Come to think of it, I don't know if that was with another sanctioning body - or even at an "event" per se.)
When Shirley was running FC she only won an IHRA race (Bristol), nothing in NHRA.

He was referring to National Event wins. And I have another possibility I'm not sure about - '240' Gordie Bonin?

Thanks Jackee, I appreciate it. Though I think they're going to post the answer in this weeks Nat'l Dragster so we'll be finding out soon enough... The more I think about it, I think 240 Gordie is the last piece of the puzzle though.

Thanks Jackee, I appreciate it. Though I think they're going to post the answer in this weeks Nat'l Dragster so we'll be finding out soon enough... The more I think about it, I think 240 Gordie is the last piece of the puzzle though.

Haven't heard from him yet... but he lives in Washington (state) so maybe he hasn't logged on yet. Or, maybe he's traveling.

In any case, if I hear from him, I'll let you know.

240 drove Top Fuel but never won a National Meet. You have the last piece of your puzzle, Oswald, Snow and Mongoose.

from 240...

"Hey Girl- just now saw your note. I'm in LA, visiting with my lawyer pal Dan.

Nope, never did crap with NHRA on the TF side. Did win the FIA European TF Championship in Europe in '99 thou. No big feat according to the Bernstein types; but I really enjoyed being on stage with the car in Monaco for the "prize giving ceremony."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back