Drag Racing History Question? (Interesting, I Promise) (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
I was wondering being a fan of Tim Wilkerson and admiring others who have done the same, How many drivers have won as a crew chief and a driver. Lets do this by catagory. I am 26 and really had to think but lets see if my list is correct. I have to be off some.

Top-Fuel: (3)
Ed McCulloch
Connie Kalitta
Mark Oswald

Funny Car: (10)
Ed McCulloch
Mark Oswald
Connie Kalitta
Jim Dunn
Leonard Hughes
Leroy Goldstein
Dale Emery
Mike Neff
Cruz Pedregon
Tim Wilkerson

General Crew Chiefs To Win In Both Nitro Classes: (17)
Alan Johnson
Tim And Kim Richards
Lee Beard
Todd Okuhara
Phil Schuler
Ed McCulloch
Jimmy Prock
Connie Kalitta
Dale Armstrong
Mike Green
Mark Oswald
Lance Larson ?
Mike Kloeber
Rahn Tobler
Richard Hogan ?
Wayne Dupey?
Rob Flynn

How far back are you thinking? Am sure that a lot of drivers in the Golden Age were owner/crew chief/driver combination.
I bet you will have some pretty good answers to this from some of the members here.

Not sure if you want to include this, but Dickie Venables has won in both nitro classes as, as a CC in funny car and assistant CC in top fuel

Either way, hopefully he can get a win next year with Morgan and 'solidify' himself on your list:)

Leonard Hughes definitely needs to be in your bottom list, he was the first to ever win a Championship in both Nitro classes as a crew chief.

When did Cruz tune his own car to a win??

Top Fuel
Don Garlits
Don Prudhomme

Funny Car
Dale Armstrong

Pro Stock
Bob Glidden
Warren Johnson
Bill Jenkins
Kurt Johnson
Mike Edwards
Larry Morgan
Frank Iaconio
Lee Shepherd??

The list is endless if you include NHRA, AHRA, IHRA, top fuel and funny car and don't set a limit on how far back you go. As someone pointed out untill the early 80s it was probably more common for the driver to also be the owner and crewchief. Also do you mean a national race or a championship?

Jim Head for wins in both classes as driver and crew chief. My Dad Larry Meyer for crew chiefs with wins in both F/C and T/F.

I don't remember Wayne Dupey being a winning crew chief in both classes. I remember him being a crew chief on Tony McCallum's FC, but no wins.

I'm a huge dale Armstrong fan, but I don't believe he ever tuned himself to a win in a fuel car. National record, yes, in the Speed Racer Mike Kase FC. Now, in Pro Comp, that's another story...

thanks,
has Jim head tuned himself to a win?
Cruz Pedregon won this year as a cc to answer that question.
I don't know if dale armstrong can be counted as a driver/cc winning combo, i know as a cc he has won.
I was unsure about don garlits did he tune it?
and when did don prudhomme tune and win an fc and a tf?

The list is endless if you include NHRA, AHRA, IHRA, top fuel and funny car and don't set a limit on how far back you go. As someone pointed out untill the early 80s it was probably more common for the driver to also be the owner and crewchief. Also do you mean a national race or a championship?

i meant just in general it boggles my mind at how anyone can tune and drive a tf or fc and tune. I imagine it being much more complex to tune one today but i'm sure back then was hard to. just national event wise and just NHRA.

The Great Al Hoffman tuned? I just got into drag racing back when he had jimbo doing it.

I think we are getting thread drift here. The question was not who was a crewchief and drove in BOTH fuel classes. The question was who both crewchiefed and drove to a championship.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back