Massey 332.18! (1 Viewer)

Where is it written in stone that only 16 can race??? If you want the sport to grow, then you got to grow the sport. They ain't gonna lower tix, so give more show.

The cars are out there, if they know they can race (on Sun.) they will come. Others will be built. By turning away Pro cars isn't that kinda shootin ourself in the foot???

They can run on Sunday, if they are one of the quickest 16 Friday or Saturday. What the NHRA needs to do is drop the 'only 12' carry over rule for Friday night.

Or, Just Run the race Saturday, all run, no qualifying, what the heck, customer loose four passes per car for the weekend.... oh, it's not a weekend, it's a one day show, track misses two days of gate, food sells, parking, ect....

I would not drop a dime to go see that

d'kid

We had cars no one ever saw before, and crossovers from IHRA along with cars that don't run the full series step up and show at more events. WHY?? because they knew they would have a chance.

Some of them came because they knew they would get a check. If only 14 were entered then they could show up, make one qualifying hit show up first round, smoke the tires at the step, idle down and head to the pay window.

Alan

They can run on Sunday, if they are one of the quickest 16 Friday or Saturday. What the NHRA needs to do is drop the 'only 12' carry over rule for Friday night.

Or, Just Run the race Saturday, all run, no qualifying, what the heck, customer loose four passes per car for the weekend.... oh, it's not a weekend, it's a one day show, track misses two days of gate, food sells, parking, ect....

d'kid

Me either. I do not agree on the dropping of the 12 qualifiers for friday. I think the carry over was actually a great idea because the events were coming down 1 session "you do good, or you DNQ". When the weather is the same or better for the weekend the carry over is useless, but especially in the summer friday night is the only really good attempt and a second chance should be given if for some reason friday did not work out and saturday is hotter than hell and a completely different track.

I don't want to give teams an easy way to get into the show, I just don't want to watch/go to a race where if they messed up friday night they have no shot at ever making it in. That's the way it used to be and I know many may feel it's the survival of the fittest, but as expensive as it is to run one of these cars it's the right thing to do for a team especially with a limited budget because they may not be able to turn head friday night but could end up begin one of the best on the hot day. It would make no sense to be in the top 5 runs on saturday and DNQ all because the cut was made friday night.

Last edited:
Some of them came because they knew they would get a check. If only 14 were entered then they could show up, make one qualifying hit show up first round, smoke the tires at the step, idle down and head to the pay window.

Alan

Do you really think they went thru the travel, hotel, food expense, and run cost for 1st rd money??? I think not.

d'kid

As you say, it's no longer the quickest 16 cars that run on Sun. I agree the 12 rule should be dropped.

Not many go to every day of a Natl. event. Run 2 qualifying Sat. Race Sun.

Do you really think they went thru the travel, hotel, food expense, and run cost for 1st rd money??? I think not.

No the 1st round money is not enough to cover all expenses, but for guys like the Greek, Peanut, Chrisman, Faria, Palmer, etc, it goes a long way to help off set these costs. And you want to take it away from them. Guys will plan their schedules around events that have shorter fields to increase the likelihood that they will get paid. Knowing that they wouldn't get paid until second round would only make part-timers want to travel less.

I absolutely do. I'm not saying that it happens a lot but I have seen cars show up and make two runs (usually Q3 and round 1) Smoke the tires twice and head out with a check for 10 Grand.

Depending on travel distance let's just say you're in for $1000 in diesel fuel. And another grand for the hotel. (Some have even slept in the rig) You either get used tires or break in a set for a big team, you buy a barrel of nitro. You don't blow anything up smoking the tires twice and you make a profit.

Alan

an independent that just missed the TF top ten a few years ago told me years
ago they went from alcohol to nitro as his fixed expenses for a race weekend
were the same, why not run for a larger check.

You don't blow anything up smoking the tires twice and you make a profit.

Happens in NASCAR all the time. Small teams bring a car good enough to qualify at the back of the field, then suddenly develop a 'vibration' :rolleyes: about lap 2 and head for the garage. The 2012 Daytona 500 payout for last place was $267,000.

I absolutely do. I'm not saying that it happens a lot but I have seen cars show up and make two runs (usually Q3 and round 1) Smoke the tires twice and head out with a check for 10 Grand.

Depending on travel distance let's just say you're in for $1000 in diesel fuel. And another grand for the hotel. (Some have even slept in the rig) You either get used tires or break in a set for a big team, you buy a barrel of nitro. You don't blow anything up smoking the tires twice and you make a profit.

Alan

I can't see how any of these guys break even or make money on 1st round money! Unless its a race in their hometown, with an all volunteer crew!

Alan

Of course if 18-19 cars show up all of that is out the window!

I can't see how any of these guys break even or make money on 1st round money! Unless its a race in their hometown, with an all volunteer crew!

I don't see it either, sure it's 10,000 a run but that's if I think your running the same caliber program as the top notch but even with used stuff it's what? 5,000 grand a run at most? Maybe you could make maybe 2-3 grand with only 1 qualifying run and you dont appear first round cause "pit issues"

I don't see it either, sure it's 10,000 a run but that's if I think your running the same caliber program as the top notch but even with used stuff it's what? 5,000 grand a run at most? Maybe you could make maybe 2-3 grand with only 1 qualifying run and you dont appear first round cause "pit issues"

What Alan said about a racer showing up, borrowing Slicks from another team makes sense! But if Racer A sees that such and such Natl. event only has 14 TF/FC cars entered, and decides on a hunch to make a 500-600 mile tow thinking he can just lay down a 7 sec. Pass to get his $10,000 First round money. What's to say 2-3 other teams aren't thinking the same thing? Talk about a Vegas style gamble!!!!

Like Alan and others have explained, there are variables. If you sleep in the rig, have a volunteer crew, don't have to tow too far, and, MOST of all, DON'T GRENADE anything, you can make a few bucks. That's the gamble with a fuel car. It's doesn't take much for a team to go from making a few bucks, to heading home with a trailer full of parts that are FUBAR.

If you have a volunteer crew, don't have to tow too far, and, MOST of all, DON'T GRENADE anything, you can make a few bucks. That's the gamble with a fuel car. It's doesn't take much for a team to go from making a few bucks, to heading home with a trailer full of parts that are FUBAR.

Amen.

2 years ago, to be at our 1 national event of the season, we'd already spent the entire 1st round check just on re-certs and required updates. :eek:
It's what you do as a low budget fuel team if you want to play at the top.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back