Clocks are wrong in Pomona!!!!! (not just for MPH) (1 Viewer)

Has anyone run incrementals on the funny car times? They had the same problem with the speed traps, but no one seems to be questioning Worsham's or Hight's times.

How bout pro stock? That was an awfully fast time Anderson put up on a green, cold track. Then there was that "pop" when he went on the limiter and another "pop" when he clicked it off at the other end. Hummm!!!!!

If what we suspect is true then it wouldn't affect the ProStockers other than their 1000ft increment and therefore not the 1/4 mile time. A nice check would be to look at all the 1000ft times for the PS's against their 1/4mile times lane for lane.... Anyone got all the increments?

Further to above...

I've just checked the increments for ProStock and the 1000ft times are correct and even for both lanes. Therefore the only explanation is that when that somehow that the problem must be at the computer end rather than with the connection of the outputs of the sensors.

If the sensors were wired crossed, then the problem would have appeared in the 1000ft increments in all other classes, but it seems it only occurs when the cars are running to 1000ft, when the 924ft (1000ft speed trap start) beam comes into play. So either there is some sort of interplay between the two sensors (induction or short-which I think is highly unlikely) or its a simple human error of telling the computer to use the wrong sensor for the E/T in that lane in the 1000ft setup.

How bout pro stock? That was an awfully fast time Anderson put up on a green, cold track. Then there was that "pop" when he went on the limiter and another "pop" when he clicked it off at the other end. Hummm!!!!!

It's not uncommon at all for Pro Stockers to tap the chip when pushing in the clutch in the lights. If you heard another pop during the run, I would guess he was a tad tardy on a gear-change.

Sean D

Just wondering HOW the clock could be the problem.

The timing system is computer run. IE no stopwatches, mechanical timers, or even relays anymore. There is 1 system for both lanes not like the old Chrondek Timers that used a seperate clock for each lane(see Drag Racing Story of the Day - Chrondek Timers) . The foam block in the center of the track holds reflectors for both lanes, the senders and recievers are in the walls of each lane. By my thinking the only ways to have something messed up is that the program is not calibrated for 1000 feet or the distance from 660 to 1000 isn't 340 feet (its less and the computer "thinks" its 1000)

I agree the numbers SEEM weird but they would have to be off in both lanes or a magic hotdog wrapper has tripped the clock twice :rolleyes:

TK

Graham Light has photographic evidence of a large fat man eating multiple hotdogs on the " grassy knoll " area at the finish line !

It's not uncommon at all for Pro Stockers to tap the chip when pushing in the clutch in the lights. If you heard another pop during the run, I would guess he was a tad tardy on a gear-change.

Sean D

No, Sean, it wasn't that kind of pop on the run. One was went he went on the limiter after he staged and the other was when he clicked it off at the other end. His was the only car that did it.

No, Sean, it wasn't that kind of pop on the run. One was went he went on the limiter after he staged and the other was when he clicked it off at the other end. His was the only car that did it.

The KB cars were doing that two years ago when they were running the big mph.

oh dont worry about the POP floyd. Thats typical with NOS....
:)

Whoops...sorry about the thread derail. FLOYD LEFT THE DOOR WIDE OPEN ON THAT ONE...

The first two pairs had the left lane run career bests by over 0.160 seconds. Brown's run was 0.100 quicker than his career best!

You decide!

Here is another (not yet mentioned) side affect of the bad clocks

Imagine being Alan Johnson and seeing a run (that appeared to be) a 3.70

Being in the same lane and the very next run. Do you think Alan may have made the car more aggressive based on faulty info?

With that kind of time it is doubtful he would not have been tempted to try for a run the track could never hold.

He did smoke the tires correct?

Larry and AJ will bounce back but I am sure this had a influence

mike

Last edited:
After my post yesterday i did the math and it appears that a 3:70 becomes a 3:84 when you assume a 318mph speed in a 66 foot trap. Since there were no MPH recorded for anyone racing to 1000 feet in that lane I think all the fuel times for that session in that lane were bogus. Not just the pair of 3:70s It cannot be random electrical interference as the data is running in fiber, NOT copper. Apparently some trunk monkey at the interface in the tower screwed up two leads when the clocks were switched to 1000 feet.

I would have posted this yesterday but could not reach the site for 24 hours.

Has anyone run incrementals on the funny car times? They had the same problem with the speed traps, but no one seems to be questioning Worsham's or Hight's times.

Robert's time to 1000 was .05 slower than his 1000Ft on the .64 pass last year. yes, that car has run 3.9's early season last year, which is why the 4 flat at Richmond wasn't a big surprise... (was equal to some of the 4.68/4.69 passes)
and the Richmond pass the car shook like a witch
d'kid

Robert's time to 1000 was .05 slower than his 1000Ft on the .64 pass last year. yes, that car has run 3.9's early season last year, which is why the 4 flat at Richmond wasn't a big surprise... (was equal to some of the 4.68/4.69 passes)
and the Richmond pass the car shook like a witch
d'kid

I understand that they are realistic times and they ran just as fast last year and in testing this year. But, with all the problems with the lights and the best answer I have seen so far (that the beams got switched), I would like to know how the incrementals compare to some of these other runs. It might at least give a better understanding as to what exactly went wrong.

Did some digging myself. Here is Worshams 4.049 from Palm Beach:
60ft-0.886 sec., 330ft-2.292, 660ft-3.257/264.80 mph

and Hight's 4.03 from Pomona:

60ft-0.891 sec., 330ft-2.296, 660ft-3.252/267.85 mph

So it would look legit, which kinds of puts a kink in the switched lights theory.

And just confirms what I said above, and that any run that had an erroneous speed in the left hand lane also had an erroneous time. Makes a bit of a mockery of running that ladder in eliminations doesn't it!

And thanks to Rob for pursuing the story.

Wires? what wires? I thought they updated to fiber optics years ago? And its impossible for fiber to "short occasionally" . My original opinion stands, In a rush because of the weather when they switched the clocks back to 1000 foot right after the pro stock session the mph start and et/mph stop inputs at the terminal for that lane in the tower were reversed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back