Clocks are wrong in Pomona!!!!! (not just for MPH) (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
Clocks were wrong in Pomona!!!!! UPDATE Link (Geiger Has the Story)

Geiger Counter

There is something wrong with the clocks in Pomona and I'm not just talking about the MPH's that are screwed up. There is no way Antron ran a 3.700 with the incrementals he had. That equates to a 3.37 run using a moderate 1000'-1320' split of .670 (based off of a 4.50 sec run). I'm not sure about Hartley's run because I didn't see the incrementals. I'll bet they don't support his run either. There is a glitch from 660' to 1000'. Cory Mac was dead even with Antron at 660' but ran .15 slower while still running 313 MPH. No time to do the math but Antron would have had to run probably over 335 to 1000' to even come close to that ET. Compare Shumachers 3.77 from Richmond last year and decide for yourself ...60ft-0.829 sec., 330ft-2.115, 660ft-3.010/280.60 mph, 1000ft-3.771/317.05 mph. See what I mean?

Alan-Any comments????????????

Last edited:
There is something wrong with the clocks in Pomona and I'm not just talking about the MPH's that are screwed up. There is no way Antron ran a 3.700 with the incrementals he had.

I'll comment. By my math, it's even further off than your estimate. In order to cover 340' in .063 seconds, Antron would have had to average over 360 mph! (340 feet divided by 528 ft/sec. = .06439 sec.)

I bet you will see a similar issue with Hartley's time. Also, the top 3 FC qualifiers also ran in the same lane.

Tony last year. .60ft- 0.829 sec
Antron Brown's today 60ft- 0.841 sec

Tony 330ft- 2.115
Antron 330ft- 2.158

Tony 660ft- 3.010
Antron 660ft- 3.074

Tony 1000ft 3.77
Antron 1000ft 3.70

This makes it easier to see

an obvious bogus time at 1000ft for Antron

I wonder if NHRA will admit it?

mike

I wonder if NHRA will admit it?

mike

even if they do....what then? You throw out the ONLY qualifier cause the clocks didnt work....thats not Antron's fault....what do you do? His run was obviously not what showed up on the scoreboard, but it was also obviously good enough to get in the show....

There is enough data on board to determine weather or not it was a legitimate pass or not. If the numbers don't add up it should be tossed. Things like this have happen before and the times were not allowed.
Sorry Antron & Joe
Welcome aboard Clay & LD

Last edited:
Totally agree. Those numbers are not factual. In the past nhra has thrown out those qualifying numbers When it was a questionable run.
Solution, hope for rain tomorrow! Come back next week and try it again. No matter what they do its going to screw somebody.

even if they do....what then? You throw out the ONLY qualifier cause the clocks didnt work....thats not Antron's fault....what do you do? His run was obviously not what showed up on the scoreboard, but it was also obviously good enough to get in the show....

Tough call on that one. If the car in the other lane took out the top end cone, the run would be DQ'd even if it was obvious that the run was good enough to qualify based on previous incrementals.

The rulebook states the contestant must have a valid elepsed time recorded in order to be placed into eliminator competition...the validity of the of the ET is open to interpretation since there is no rule written that states what a valid ET is.

in my opinion....if you throw out Antron's run you have to throw out the run of EVERYBODY that ran in that lane for the session because the clocks were obviously messed up for the whole session not just his run

Boy; what you're saying makes sense... and it is totally inexcusable. If this is the case, I demand an apology from NHRA. When B.F. called the .70x et for the Matco race car, I myself was thinking ... no friggin way.

NHRA may determine the correct speeds/times by going back to the data recorders on the car.

Either way, they've already set the field and they usually don't 'unset' the fields.

Dixon was slower by at least 2 seconds, and Milican at least three tenths.

It won't get the cars that aren't in, in, and if there are inconsistencies throughout the field, there isn't an 'advantage'.

3.70 run seemed legitimate to me. I witnessed it in person. That car was hooked up.

Bear in mind though, I'm a little out of my element because my body's been stuck in sub-freezing temps for the last 3 months. Plus, I had a beer. OK, well, five. (Confirmed by Greggo)

The first step is to find the problem. If it was the 1000' clock and not the 660' clock causing the problem then one solution is to use the 660' ET for all competitors to establish the fields. That's maybe not the only solution, but one that would make it fair to everyone based on a single qualifying session.

Totally agree. Those numbers are not factual. In the past nhra has thrown out those qualifying numbers When it was a questionable run.
Solution, hope for rain tomorrow! Come back next week and try it again. No matter what they do its going to screw somebody.

Sure, hope for rain so the people who are already on a tight budget can make that haul, pay for hotels, fuel, food, and potentially miss work NEXT weekend.

Yep, that sounds ideal.

3.70 run seemed legitimate to me. I witnessed it in person. That car was hooked up.

Bear in mind though, I'm a little out of my element because my body's been stuck in sub-freezing temps for the last 3 months. Plus, I had a beer. OK, well, five. (Confirmed by Greggo)

That would make it the quickest run ever (extrapalated out) by over half a tenth, with early incrementals only supporting a low 4.50. But a few beers, polar coma and nitro deprivation can do that to a man!;)

Last edited:
Someone grab the rulebook.....If the times are wrong for the whole field (which I don't believe) then do they draw straws, roll dice, play cards or have a duel:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have no idea how to fix this but something is wrong for sure

what a way to start the year

is this year going to be as strange as the off season has been?

mike

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back