Clocks are wrong in Pomona!!!!! (not just for MPH) (1 Viewer)

They can't be wrong, they used optical data as a backup! Just ask Graham Light. :D

alright when I heard the times I thouhgt they must be off but then thought maybe I'm just still not used to the 1000' times.

Tough call on what to do. They were obviously full passes, what about the ones that missed the field? Was it close

alright when I heard the times I thouhgt they must be off but then thought maybe I'm just still not used to the 1000' times.

Tough call on what to do. They were obviously full passes, what about the ones that missed the field? Was it close

Dixon and millican were 2 seconds and .3 seconds from the bump.

Why is everyone hammering NHRA and Light for this? Because the cool kids do?

If you are going to place blame and ask for apologies (for what I have no idea) place it on Compulink. Not NHRA.

Ooops, I forgot. This is the Mater. It HAS to be NHRA's fault.

The first step is to find the problem. If it was the 1000' clock and not the 660' clock causing the problem then one solution is to use the 660' ET for all competitors to establish the fields. That's maybe not the only solution, but one that would make it fair to everyone based on a single qualifying session.

Great idea Mike. Sounds like a fair way to fix this,..............thats why they won't do it.

The first step is to find the problem. If it was the 1000' clock and not the 660' clock causing the problem then one solution is to use the 660' ET for all competitors to establish the fields. That's maybe not the only solution, but one that would make it fair to everyone based on a single qualifying session.

Just wondering HOW the clock could be the problem.

The timing system is computer run. IE no stopwatches, mechanical timers, or even relays anymore. There is 1 system for both lanes not like the old Chrondek Timers that used a seperate clock for each lane(see Drag Racing Story of the Day - Chrondek Timers) . The foam block in the center of the track holds reflectors for both lanes, the senders and recievers are in the walls of each lane. By my thinking the only ways to have something messed up is that the program is not calibrated for 1000 feet or the distance from 660 to 1000 isn't 340 feet (its less and the computer "thinks" its 1000)

I agree the numbers SEEM weird but they would have to be off in both lanes or a magic hotdog wrapper has tripped the clock twice :rolleyes:

TK

Just wondering HOW the clock could be the problem.

The timing system is computer run. IE no stopwatches, mechanical timers, or even relays anymore. There is 1 system for both lanes not like the old Chrondek Timers that used a seperate clock for each lane(see Drag Racing Story of the Day - Chrondek Timers) . The foam block in the center of the track holds reflectors for both lanes, the senders and recievers are in the walls of each lane. By my thinking the only ways to have something messed up is that the program is not calibrated for 1000 feet or the distance from 660 to 1000 isn't 340 feet (its less and the computer "thinks" its 1000)

I agree the numbers SEEM weird but they would have to be off in both lanes or a magic hotdog wrapper has tripped the clock twice :rolleyes:

TK

What would happen if they accidentally swapped infrared inputs (for one lane) the mph start beam with the mph/et stop beam? If you moved the et stop back 66 feet, does the math work?

The NHRA has admitted Brown's and Hartley's times were not accurate due to a timing malfunction. They will remain in their qualifying spots because their runs would have qualified them. Qualifying points will not be awarded for TF.

The NHRA has admitted Brown's and Hartley's times were not accurate due to a timing malfunction. They will remain in their qualifying spots because their runs would have qualified them. Qualifying points will not be awarded for TF.

Paul, you'd definitely be correct. Several times today they were having problems with the tree, not just when the Pros were running. Plus, obviously the speeds that were displaying on the left side scoreboard were crazy (24-25 MPH???).

There were a couple of runs, I don't remember who, where the right lane crossed the finish line first but the left lane had the much quicker ET. We were questioning that from behind the starting line but it was hard to see the reaction time from that vantage point.
There was defintely a problem with the clocks.

What would happen if they accidentally swapped infrared inputs (for one lane) the mph start beam with the mph/et stop beam? If you moved the et stop back 66 feet, does the math work?

It does appear that somehow that is what is going on here

Somehow it seems the computer is reading the 924ft (or maybe 934ft depending on your standpoint) 1000ft speed trap beam for the ET instead of the 990ft (1000ft) beam. This would mean the track in the left lane would be 66ft too short which equates to the time being around 0.15 secs too quick on a decent run. Looking at the times this would make them far more believable.

Thats now going to open up a debate as to whether the "1000ft beam" and "1000ft racing" is actually 1000ft or not. Would be interesting to know if whats called the "1000ft" beam is at a physical 1000ft or is actually at a measured 990ft on NHRA tracks, which I have always been led to believe is the case.

Last edited:
It does appear that somehow that is what is going on here

Somehow it seems the computer is reading the 924ft (or maybe 934ft depending on your standpoint) 1000ft speed trap beam for the ET instead of the 990ft (1000ft) beam. This would mean the track in the left lane would be 66ft too short which equates to the time being around 0.15 secs too quick on a decent run. Looking at the times this would make them far more believable.

Thats now going to open up a debate as to whether the "1000ft beam" and "1000ft racing" is actually 1000ft or not. Would be interesting to know if whats called the "1000ft" beam is at a physical 1000ft or is actually at a measured 990ft on NHRA tracks, which I have always been led to believe is the case.

but, we haven't run 1320 or 1000ft in years... stage with the front tires, turn off the clocks with the front overhang... a good 3 feet in most cases... that could also explain BB's 323 mph run at Firebird... clear the mph start clock with the front of the car, maybe start it about ten foot down the body, then set the front wing back down by the clock stop beam? the 660/1000 ft split would not change. after all, we are looking at a 25 foot wheelbase and 60 ft traps...

d'kid

I could be wrong here, but maybe it's time to start looking at something more 21st century in the way the cars are timed down track.

Maybe a transponder that is located at the centerpoint of the front wheels, so that we can still use the staging beams and maintain the driver interaction at the starting line (deep staging, shallow staging, etc.).

But after that, it's the transponder crossing timing loops buried in the track that is triggering the splits and win light. I believe that is how some of the other professional racing organizations manager their timing.

I know, it's a crazy idea...to try to maintain pace with technology.

(But I also think the should you those RFI chips in baseball to determine balls and strikes too...so nevermind me, I'm going back to watching Star Trek - beam me up Scotty!)

Transponders are not 100% reliable either. I've used them for 20 years in radio control cars and about 8 years in dirt modifieds and IMHO the system the NHRA uses is more reliable than the transponders.

If the theory that the two beams got switched at the top end is true, and it looks like a very plausible situtation, looking at the qualifying order it appears that it wouldn't have affected whether or not anyone made the field. Looks like it would have only affected the order. Not great either, but better than if someone had been cost a qualifying spot.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back