Mark Niver Fatally Injured (1 Viewer)

Randy Eakins car folded up just like Nivers did, eerily similar. He was not injured (crash was last year at Pomona).

What is going to happen because of it, is the big question.

I would really like to see the net gone away. Safer barrier and or tires work way better from the indy car and f-1 crashed I have seen.

Dean

Indycar and F1, even NASCAR to a lesser extent, do something that NHRA seems to ignore. Encapsulation of the driver, not just a role cage.
[URL=http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/KevinG58/?action=view&current=29241_127033623987301_1000004199150.jpg][/URL] This is after a 200+mph flight into the catch fence at Indy this year. Driver sustained a broken leg and cracked vertebrae.

Indycar and F1, even NASCAR to a lesser extent, do something that NHRA seems to ignore. Encapsulation of the driver, not just a role cage.
[URL=http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/KevinG58/?action=view&current=29241_127033623987301_1000004199150.jpg][/URL] This is after a 200+mph flight into the catch fence at Indy this year. Driver sustained a broken leg and cracked vertebrae.
CAN ANYONE SAY BIG DADDY DON GARLITS!!!! Canopy people hell what was it.1986!!!!!!!

What's frustrating in this tragic death is that to a large degree everything went pretty well after the chutes detached. Mark Niver (RIP) did a great job of getting his speed down using the brakes and impressively even under the stress of heavy braking he also did a great job of getting the car centered as it entered the sand pit. Clearly a very skilled and experienced driver was at the hands of the this car, dealing with an adverse situation exactly as he should have.

To my eye the sand did successfully scrub some additional speed off the car before it hit the first net.

But the implementation of the first net was where things went wrong. Given there was still significant length left to the sand pit, the first net should have been much more compliant (stretchy) than it was. Instead it was pretty rigid, and decellerated the car much too quickly, causing the chassis to fold up and endanger the driver.

This was a really unfortunate occurrance, but I think its fixable without a drastic measure like 1/8 mile racing. The first net in these sand pits should be designed to decellerate the cars smoothly over the remaining back half length of the pit. This could be done either by making that first net out of a very stretchy material or by making the attachments for the end of the net be energy absorbing. For example, the ends of the net could be attached to a large spring loaded spool, or some similar system that increases resistance as the attachment extends. When the car hit the net, the spools would allow the net to extend and move with the car but with increasing resistance, smoothly decellerating the car.

The important point is that to minimize the potential damage to the driver you need to decellerate the cars over the largest distance possible, and this means a "compliant net" approach will work much better than any water based or other means of "soft wall" approaches. Those only make sense when you don't have much room to work with (ie 10 feet or so).

In summary, I think the current sand pit implementations could work pretty well if they went to a compliant net at the half pit, and if there is room for it, also a compliant net at the end of the pit (otherwise the last net would have to stay rigid).

It would take some money and resources from the NHRA to design, test and build these new net systems, but I firmly believe that its clearly their responsibility to do so, and I strongly recommend that they start this activity immediately.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
After reading the details of inujuries, I'd say it was a bizarre fluke that the car came apart the way it did. Any kind of frontal impact could have potentially caused the same result. I am not going to suggest or hint there was an issue what so ever with Mark's car or design, but the chassis is something that may need to be looked at instead of the track. When Darrell Russell blew the tire and had his incident, the shields over the cage came into affect for more than just rubber coming into the cockpit.....Maybe the break area point of the chassis needs to be re-evaluated.

.......The first net in these sand pits should be designed to decelerate the cars smoothly over the remaining back half length of the pit. This could be done either by making that first net out of a very stretchy material or by making the attachments for the end of the net be energy absorbing. For example, the ends of the net could be attached to a large spring loaded spool. When the car hit the net, the spools would allow the net to extend and move with the car but with increasing resistance, smoothly decelerating the car.........

decelerating smoothly over largest distance possible = greater driver safety.
entire post is logical - you have definitely presented a viable option IMO

RIP Mr. Niver

With the injuries listed....it makes me wonder if the steering shaft or wheel didnt come into play resulting in the listed injuries instead of the chassis coming into the car.

Very sad deal...again. Kinda makes you wonder if NHRA ever gets sad,
as we do, or if their concerns are elsewhere. Get BAZEMORE to head up
an EMERGENCY SAFTY PANEL to brainstorm ideas. And I am not talking
about 3 weeks from now, but NOW!

As an aside question, we get a ME death report 1 day following this great
mans' passing.
Has anyone seen the ME report from Neil Parkers death???
If not, does anyone know why not???
John

Bazemore? Really? That's the first name that came to mind? How about someone people respect? Some with detailed technical knowledge about vehicle safety. But Whitless? Really? :rolleyes:

mans' passing.
John
I would say the most logical reason is the difference in laws / policies / procedures from state to state. While these become "public" record, they don't necessarily need to be publically posted for public review.

I posted this in another thread that got deleted, but I thought it was interesting, and somewhat tragically ironic, to note.

During tech inspection at Seattle on Thursday, NHRA made all of us in the sportsman classes pop our chutes to insure that they a) deployed, b) were in good repair, and c) were fastened properly. First time I've seen that. FWIW, two people I know had to make repairs.

mans' passing.
John

Privacy laws?

Those are also $200,000 carbon fiber tubs....triple that for an F1 car.

Those are also $200,000 carbon fiber tubs....triple that for an F1 car.

T - you might be correct on the IRL tub, they are basically limited production kit cars. F1? - probably way low on cost.
Unfortunately, NHRA teams likely cannot afford to build a car that will provide that much protection to their driver. I hope we don't see the integrity of a current TF chassis tested by a trip into the runoff area before (or IF) changes are made.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back