Mark Niver Fatally Injured (2 Viewers)

I didn't know Mark Niver but from all of the wonderful things said about him, I wish that I had.
This is totally unacceptable. Bottom line is we need longer tracks. You can't design a sand trap or net system that will work in all situations. The cars vary too much in weight, design and speed.

I know there is a big shiny Bridgeport in heaven crewing away at a big chuck of 6061. Godspeed Mark.

Just a thought - On second thought.. nevermind. Condolences to Mark's family on another tragic drag racing occurance. NHRA learn from it and move foreward.

RIP Mark. I used to always root for him at Firebird because he made so much of his own stuff and seemed to be an approachable guy. :(

I only met Mark once when we went to Phoenix, we acted like we had known each other forever. Godspeed and may God bless his family.
Michael

I believe Christopher mentioned it earlier, the net played a bigger role than either the track, sand pit, or even speed. With the longer wheel base and long tubes runs in the chassis, it looked like when the net caught the front end the inertia drove the net up and allowed the dragster slide under and fold on top of itself. It's hard to tell; but, I also don't see as much forgiveness in the sand either as I would expect to absorb that inertia and bleed additional speed off.

Rest in God's loving peace, Mark - you will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends & crew as well as the entire NHRA community.

I'll save my comments on the incident itself for another day, right now I'm just numb.

I'm not going to blame anyone for this one. I look at this incident as I do what happened to Darrell Russell. Mark did his job...the chutes came off, but he got that thing slowed to a pretty damn safe speed. The fact that the chassis folded up like that and caused fatal injuries is just freak in nature. What happened to Darrell was a perfect storm situation. Sure tires were blowing at the time, but how many times did wing struts shoot forward, missing the motor and doing what it did. They will have to examine the chassis and see how it folded like it did and find a way to provide better protection...period.

Terrible. Thank you, Mike Cornelius for those photos. I never knew or met Mark; but I think we all agree that it's just an awful, horrific thing anytime somebody loses thier life doing something they love. I can only relate this to the tragic losses of 2 people I knew personally, Wayne Bailey and Scott Kalitta. You look at the joy on all the faces in those pictures; and it's so sad because you know that today, those very same faces are in tears and pain. So sad. Godspeed, Mark.

This is very sad. :( I never got to meet Mark personally but he seemed like a nice fellow. He was also a fantastic craftsman from what I've seen.

Now I looked at the crash and it looked very tame compared to other crashes where the drivers walked away. Did the driver's compartment come apart or something?

Randy Eakins car folded up just like Nivers did, eerily similar. He was not injured (crash was last year at Pomona).

What is going to happen because of it, is the big question.

I would really like to see the net gone away. Safer barrier and or tires work way better from the indy car and f-1 crashed I have seen.

Dean

I remember seeing Mark for the first time in the mid-90's when I was announcing at Phoenix Raceway Park/Speedworld. Our race director Ted Hoover, who had been in the alcohol scene for a while told me all about Mark and how brilliant he was as an engineer and a person. I never forgot that and always cheered for him.

I saw the accident on the coverage today. It shocked me because I had expected his rate of speed to be much higher. It is just a sad situation.

My prayers go to his family and the many people in this world who he touched with his smile, friendship and knowledge. God Speed Mark.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back