John force (3 Viewers)

Not to hijack the thread, but here's some vintage OCIR AA/FC. Raymond Beadle having wheelstand problems on both launches, and one of my fav's with John Lombardo. My pal Steve Plueger is in this video. Sure miss him.

Larry Sutton sighting at 48 seconds. 🤠

Randy
You missed it. at the very start of the Lombardo video 0:03 that is me less my cowboy hat and bald head an all, Just getting out of the Hard Times top fuel car for some reason, I don't remember why. donning my cowboy hat and returning to the starting line.
PS; calling me a Redneck I will accept any day LOL🇺🇸
Larry Sutton---🤠

Last edited:
Randy
You missed it. at the very start of the Lombardo video 0:03 that is me less my cowboy hat and bald head an all, Just getting out of the Hard Times top fuel car for some reason, I don't remember why. donning my cowboy hat and returning to the starting line.
PS; calling me a Red neck I will accept any day LOL
Larry Sutton---🤠

I knew you'd be a good sport. 🤠;)

Chris,

It hasn't been a long time between wins. He won Pomona this year.

Alan
I remember Pomona in Phoenix, and yes, I watched it live, and he won. I think Mark’s follow up post to mine is most correct. It’s been along time since he’s won a bunch of races.

I’m hoping there’s a championship hunt for the old man this year. That would be a really nice way for him to go out in style.

Last edited:
I think Force should probably retire at the end of this year. He doesn't need a Farewell Tour since he really won't be going anywhere, at least for a while. He will still be on the tour, front and center at every race - signing autographs, kissing babies, posing for pictures, and riding his motor scooter back and forth from the top end to the starting line.

When (if) Robert recovers from his medical issues, he will just step back into the seat of his car. Austin will then move over to Force's car. I think Brittany is probably done after this year, and Vandergriff will take over her seat.

Sponsorship money is too hard to come by these days, so I don't see Force adding any more cars to the 3 they are currently running. He will be lucky to be able to maintain funding for the 3 cars he has.

Last edited:
I don't want to see John stop driving, but he owes us nothing. I am thankful to have been able to watch him race, and I will be rooting for him. I hope he ok with his choice when the time comes.
I bet if you gave John a blood test it would come back 98% red nitro, he is part of the tubing when he is in the car, so much love and drive to drive funny cars, one of kind for sure 😎

I know Force knows his limitations. They have to help him out of the car and out of the back of a truck. And he’s feeling his age no doubt. But the old man has still got some tricks up his sleeves and I just love watching him race. Plain and simple. He gives those younger guys fits and that is fantastic.

He still gives the best interviews in drag racing, although they have become increasingly incoherent over the last few years. But it is still a joy to watch him and listen to him. Personally, I can’t believe that he’s still even driving. The fact that he can still win events and play tricks on people is a testament that this is a sport for all ages.

Not quite the same but close. My Dad raced flat track motorcycle until he was 74. Most thought he was crazy and going to kill himself. We had to help him on the bike, get him moving. He walked with a cane, didn't do much wrenching loading, unloading.
But when he was on the bike he was 25 again, the actual riding, racing he was one with the bike. He raced since 1948.

Like I said about John Force, Brittany still has that sparkle in her eyes. She wants to win. I don't know what's going on with the car. However, I don't see her giving up her seat to Vandergrift. That's silly talk. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not quite the same but close. My Dad raced flat track motorcycle until he was 74. Most thought he was crazy and going to kill himself. We had to help him on the bike, get him moving. He walked with a cane, didn't do much wrenching loading, unloading.
But when he was on the bike he was 25 again, the actual riding, racing he was one with the bike. He raced since 1948.
Ken your dad is a badass! I've always liked flat track racing. When I was in HS a buddy and I took a bus to the Syracuse Mile for a big event, got to meet Kenny Roberts and Jay Springsteen, if anybody remembers those names, lol.

Ken your dad is a badass! I've always liked flat track racing. When I was in HS a buddy and I took a bus to the Syracuse Mile for a big event, got to meet Kenny Roberts and Jay Springsteen, if anybody remembers those names, lol.
Don't know how long ago it was but I saw a video where Kenny jump on one of his old bike that someone had there for him to sign. He got on it and made a few laps like it was nothing. Was my flat track hero back in the day.

Also bring back his 1/4 mile burn outs for at least 1 pass each race and give him a true farewell
Not sure if he said this at any other race but I remember at sonoma, early 90's, end of the track interview he says " the long burnouts stop today, Coil says they're too hard on the car!"

Not sure if the clutch will let them do those anymore but yes the long burnouts would be cool.

met both of them at the Springfield mile one year, 1998 IIRC, on the way to a race at Davenport. I have pictures of my son with Kenny.
The other stop was US Nationals on the way back, all the same weekend.
The last few years he raced antique class 1925 Indian Big Valve Factory Racer. Board trackers. Top speed was 80 ish run the whole 1/2 mile flat out.
2001 the last year he raced, he had a bad wreck, broke 14 bones. Dr said he wouldn't walk again. One week in ICU, one week in regular room. He drove himself home to NY from Davenport, Iowa. Took up sky diving to "scale back".

met both of them at the Springfield mile one year, 1998 IIRC, on the way to a race at Davenport. I have pictures of my son with Kenny.
The other stop was US Nationals on the way back, all the same weekend.
The last few years he raced antique class 1925 Indian Big Valve Factory Racer. Board trackers. Top speed was 80 ish run the whole 1/2 mile flat out.
2001 the last year he raced, he had a bad wreck, broke 14 bones. Dr said he wouldn't walk again. One week in ICU, one week in regular room. He drove himself home to NY from Davenport, Iowa. Took up sky diving to "scale back".
If you guys came to Davenport around that time, there's a good chance I was in the stands. I grew up half a mile from the speedway and my dad and I would frequently walk up and watch.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back