John force (22 Viewers)

I did a little bit of research this morning. Soft walls cost about $175 per foot. I went on Google maps, I measured from about the '330 to about half way through the shut off. Since you probably don't need them the entire track length. That is 2000 feet. If softwalls were installed at Pomona it would cost $350,000 for both lanes. I used Pomona for an example because it is the shortest track on tour. View attachment 14648
You might want to re-check your measurement, as your stopping point is not at the turnoff (sand trap). From the starting line to sand trap it's approximately 3450' at Pomona.

Soft walls are an idea. If they are expended in a race and it takes time to replace, so be it. I think we can come up with other ways to limit the G the brain takes also though. Dare I say crumple zones, but they don't have to be designed with cost, form and ease of manufacture as the primary design drivers. The bodies are already designed by the OEMs. Maybe its time the OEMs start working with chassis makers to ensure there's some synergy between the body and the chassis.

You might want to re-check your measurement, as your stopping point is not at the turnoff (sand trap). From the starting line to sand trap it's approximately 3450' at Pomona.
Yes, I did that on purpose. I was trying to make it as affordable as possible, while still trying to make the walls safer. I started at 330' because very few accidents happen before that, and there wouldn't be as much energy hitting the wall as there would be past the 330'. I stopped the safer walls half way through the shut off because if someone got the wall way down there they would most likely have been able to scrape off a decent amount of speed, and there wouldn't be as much energy. Like I said above about the 330', not many accidents happen way down there, unless someone is going in the sand.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back