It isn't just NHRA having attendance problems... (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Anybody notice all those huge pockets of empty seats at Indy for the Brickyard??? Looked like NASCAR's version of the Rt. 66 race!

I noticed that too Joe. Even though Indy is huge there were lots and lots of empty seats. I think it used to sell out when they first started running that race.

I noticed that too Joe. Even though Indy is huge there were lots and lots of empty seats. I think it used to sell out when they first started running that race.

We were there and attendance was down again from last year. It certainly wasn't as bad as Daytona races where all of the back stretch stands were closed. Brickyard was sold out for many years. We have 8 seats and were able to sell tickets we didn't use for at least double face value. Felt very lucky to sell four extras this year without losing money. NASCAR attendance problems are huge.

I saw that myself. Just for the nuts of it, I quick logged onto the track website, and they were sell GA tickets for $40 apiece. I remember a day when getting Daytona tickets was like getting Green Bay Packer tickets. You inherited them if you didn't want to wait 5 or six years on a waiting list.

I'm guessing it's the economy or people just are losing interest. I hope it's not the latter.

Rick

Nobody believes me but: It's the internet, economy, TV, and more options in 2010. I don't think ppl are has starved for motorsports in general has they used to be because it's so accessible. For example: In the 80's and 90's I would never miss the local sports guy at 6pm Friday giving me the Top 10 in qualifying for NASCAR, or listen to quals live on 105.7 WFMX around Charlotte. It's just a different playing field.

Sort of like: "It was dating a girls for 1 month in the 80's and 90's, but now she's there anytime I want her and there are other things."

I don't know.

Last edited:
I thought Denver had a very nice turnout.

I also thought Bandimere was very smart to 'upgrade' crew passes for free for the crew to sit in the grandstands too. Really helped to fill out the grandstands.

(I don't know if they do that every year or not, the Reid's are the ones that told us about it.)

Anybody notice all those huge pockets of empty seats at Indy for the Brickyard??? Looked like NASCAR's version of the Rt. 66 race!

When I turned on the race, the first camera view they had was an airial view and I couldn't believe the empty seats. Almost looked like 1/3 of them were empty.

Sean D

In my experiences dealing with the Motor Speedway in Indy, up until 1996-1997 along in there, the next years '500' would be a sell out by a day or two after the current years' race was over.

Along that same line, there is around 250,000 seats at the motor speedway...the race would be a sell out and there would be more people at the track on pole day (or the 1st day of qualifying) than there would be in attendance for the race due to it being general admission on qualifying days. For the last several years, I would guess the last 10 years or so, on any qualifying day the track would have about 90% of the stands closed and the open stands would be be about 60 to 75% full on average

between myself, my father and grandfather, we have been going to the '500' every year since 1956

I thought it was funny when Marty Reid commented on the attendance. Well actually....he mentioned it then said that it will get brought up (assuming places like this) and there were probably 10 reasons for it, but we'll leave it at that. LOL

I thought Denver had a very nice turnout.

I also thought Bandimere was very smart to 'upgrade' crew passes for free for the crew to sit in the grandstands too. Really helped to fill out the grandstands.

(I don't know if they do that every year or not, the Reid's are the ones that told us about it.)

Your right there Nitro Jenn, Denver did hace a nice turnout! I'm a firm believer this is recession related no question. The Motorsports bodies NHRA included need to take that into account.

Last edited:
I was pretty impressed with the crowd at Bandimere on Sunday.... one of the better crowds in a while i can remember at any event.... apperance wise

As far as the Brickyard goes.. i would say economy was number one reason and number two reason the novilty of NASCAR at indy with the Indy fans has worn off some also...

Sports section of the LR paper had an article about the downturn in attendance for the Brickyard race. The article said attendance had fallen from a high of 270K to 240K last year and 170K was expected for this years race. Looked like literally acres of empty seats on the TV broadcast. 170K is a lot of people, but that still is a pretty good drop. I personally think the economy is mostly the problem. Most everybody I deal with are either short on funds, or if they have a little money, they are reluctant to spend it. I knew a local guy who used to go to Daytona every year. He said he finally got tired of getting screwed everywhere and quit going. He said he used to park his motorhome at WalMart for free at the first of Speedweeks, but said they later wanted 30 bucks a day or something just to sit on the lot---and this was several days before the race started. He said it just seemed like a money grab everywhere he went, so he started to go to different race venues instead. Its the same thing with any event---80 dollar motel rooms become $200 rooms, and they want you to commit for several days. Also like a previous poster stated, there are other things to do and other ways to get a race fix. When money gets tight, the fun budget is usually the first thing to get cut.

Last edited:
.......a local guy who used to go to Daytona every year. He said he finally got tired of getting screwed everywhere and quit going. He said he used to park his motorhome at WalMart for free at the first of Speedweeks, but said they later wanted 30 bucks a day or something just to sit on the lot---and this was several days before the race started. He said it just seemed like a money grab everywhere he went

and this story is supposed to what?...make me feel sorry for the guy?
i don't think so..........he should be thankful for the years he was able to park
at walmart for free!

NASCAR fans are fed up with a lot of Brian France's ideas. (Chase, COT, JJ winning, etc. you name it, people are finding reasons to not follow it like they used to) You should see some of their message boards. Even the Bristol night race has tickets available which never used to happen. IMS is still reaping the "benefits" of their tire fiasco a couple of years ago. Many people vowed not to return...apparently they were serious.

NASCAR fans are fed up with a lot of Brian France's ideas. (Chase, COT, JJ winning, etc. you name it, people are finding reasons to not follow it like they used to) You should see some of their message boards. IMS is still reaping the "benefits" of their tire fiasco a couple of years ago. Many people vowed not to return...apparently they were serious.
Barry - I was there for "Tiregate". I returned this year because we had Pit and Garage passes from ISC. The garage area was almost empty of people with passes all three days - which leads me to believe that those connected with sponsors are also getting fed up.
And . . . the race sucked! Add 95 degree heat and 60% humidity – it added up to a miserable experience. I love going to IMS and will always go to the 500, but I'm done with this BS.

When I was at E-town I was actually talking to John Medlen at length about this. Basically, he was telling me that of all motorsports, drag racing attendance has dropped the smallest % wise. Great conversation with a great guy

NASCAR races are made up of a lot of out-of-town folks. I'm sure part of it is the economy and people that use to fyly in just can't do it like they use to. I don't fly into NHRA races any more like I once did, and I'm sure it's the same over there.

Also, the over-saturation of NASCAR can't help either.

Barry - I was there for "Tiregate". I returned this year because we had Pit and Garage passes from ISC. The garage area was almost empty of people with passes all three days - which leads me to believe that those connected with sponsors are also getting fed up.
And . . . the race sucked! Add 95 degree heat and 60% humidity – it added up to a miserable experience. I love going to IMS and will always go to the 500, but I'm done with this BS.

I was there for the inaugural B'yard 400. Afetr seeing what a one groove race track it is for the cup cars, and being it's a 14 hour drive, I decided that once was enough. Like you, I plan on going to the 500 for a long time to come.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back