Atlanta having track problems also..... (1 Viewer)

TJ

Nitro Member
Looks like Atlanta is having track problems also. Seems the NOPI guys didn't feel safe making runs so they canceled the racing for last weekend. Here is a quote of the NOPI website about the track problems.....

...."Not only was there rain and cold weather all weekend, there was a crack at the transition of the the newly resurfaced track at this world class facility that had the drag racers questioning the track's safety. Some have expressed the opinion that maybe it was a good thing the race was cancelled all together. Not a single pass was made during the entire event."...

The AMADragbike (Top Fuel, Funnybike,Pro Mod,Pro Stock)series is suppose to race there this coming weekend. Hope they get it straightened out by then or at least by the time the NHRA gang comes at the end of the month.

I was down there this weekend and we were rained out. Surpising to us that the track does not have a jet dryer - but that could be because it doesn't rain much down there usually. My teammate made a few passes on Thursday and mentioned the bump but complained more about the lack of rubber on the track. In defense of the track, they said that it would be fixed on Monday. Here's a pic of the transition:
Z3307823.JPG

Looks just like the Texas Motorplex. Weather makes the ground move and the transition from concrete to asphalt expands and contracts. Usually only dragsters feel anything.

Looks just like the Texas Motorplex. Weather makes the ground move and the transition from concrete to asphalt expands and contracts. Usually only dragsters feel anything.

I've never seen the transition from concrete to asphalt at Ennis, anyone got a pic?

:D

edit - Unless of course you mean the transition from the racing surface to the runout... I have no clue about that. I thought you meant in the middle of the race course. I really wish I could ALWAYS think before I type.

Last edited:
Well at least they got the timing system fixed this year ... you can't expect them to have the track perfect too ... :rolleyes:

Ennis is WORSE than that at the finish line. Its got about a 4 to 5 inch gap and the shut down area part is about an inch higher at the transition.

My teammate made a few passes on Thursday and mentioned the bump but complained more about the lack of rubber on the track. In defense of the track, they said that it would be fixed on Monday.

I also heard that when they ground the track this year they ground it to smooth making it tough for the rubber to stick to the surface. Hopefully they will address that problem also.

Last edited:

I'M CONFUSED:confused:WHEN DID THEY PUT ASPHALT ON THE TRACK AT THE MOTORPLEX.

Sorry Mike, i wrote before i started thinking, but i must say the only time i had been down track was inaugural race and it was so smooth you wouldn't have noticed asphalt in shut down lanes. I'm starting to show my age.:eek:

Last edited:
Larry, your pretty close with NHRA why are they allowing this to go on at these tracks. For as much concern they have had for the safety of these cars you would think they would show an equal amount of concern about safety of the track and the surrounding condition of facilities. I am making judgment on what people are saying and video, photos I've seen. I raced at the inaugural event at the motorplex and it was so nice, restrooms, pits, and yes the track was so smooth, definitely set a new standard for race tracks that came along after it.
Ask them why they can't maintain that standard now.

A little bit off topic but I heard this weekend that we will have 2 more all concrete tracks. Gainesville :eek: and Denver!!! :)

A little bit off topic but I heard this weekend that we will have 2 more all concrete tracks. Gainesville :eek: and Denver!!! :)

I think Denvers track is already done. Houston and Atlanta should looking real soon at it as well. Much easier to treat track for competition and clean up, much more consistent.

Looks like track repairs will be done at Atlanta April 10-13th. Here is a quote off of the NMRA digital website.......

"NHRA's Atlanta Dragway has just announced unexpected and unavoidable track maintenance scheduled for April 10 - 13, 2008. Causing the Fun Ford Weekend, $20K Battle of the Brands event to be rescheduled for June 12-15, 2008. This decision comes directly from NHRA and could not be avoided."

The concrete to asphalt transition at the Motorplex used to be 66 feet past the finish line, right where the old speed traps ended. The concrete slab moves depending on the weather and ground temp and cause either a gap between it and the asphalt shutdown area or a rather signifigant bump (or as Billy would say, "what bump?"). The gap was about 5 inches deep and could be as much as two feet wide. I saw the bump get as tall as 10 inches. The track bought a lot of sportsman dragster front wheels as a result. If you've ever noticed, the track owns a small steam roller that is usually parked near the finish line in the summer months. Why? To lessen the height of the bump.

The transition is now 75 feet further way and has seemed to calmed down after they installed a "buffer zone" of more pliable conctete about 4 years ago. They also moved the starting line back a few feet (did anyone even notice that?). There have been a few instances when the track has brought in asphalt about a week prior to the national event to fill the gap or dig up the bump and flatten it out. They are well aware of the issue and take aggressive steps to lessen the severity...for some events.

The transition at the Motorplex did contribute to some top end crashes, but it was mostly due to bracket and index racers standing on the brakes in eliminations too hard then hitting the bump...especially in the left lane.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back