Houstons track condition..... (2 Viewers)

PIR in Portland is only around 15' above sea level and it doesn't have any problems with bumps.

Good point Brent. The entire facility has been neglected. It's my understanding their contract with NHRA runs through 2012. Let's hope there is attention paid to the needed repairs and upgrades before next year's event.

I haven't mentioned this but I wonder if the overall condition of the facility had anything to do with Pontiac moving their Pro Stock Superbowl event to Vegas? The tower, buildings, parking lot and facilities at Vegas are always clean, tidy and near perfect in appearance. Hmmm....

The entire facility has been neglected. It's my understanding their contract with NHRA runs through 2012. Let's hope there is attention paid to the needed repairs and upgrades before next year's event.

I`ll put my $$ on Charlotte getting the Houston race come 2013. That place is going to be way too nice for NHRA not to have a second Natl. event there.

Big difference between 20 inches and 15 feet.
According to Google Earth HRP is 31' - 33' above sea level. PIR is surrounded by water on 3 sides so I'd think they'd have just as much problem with water as anyone. PIR is built on the former city of Vanport. It was used to house workers from the shipyards during WW2 and was destroyed by a flood in 1948.Vanport, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take a look at both sites for yourself:
HRP - 29°47'18.80"N 94°52'41.05"W
PIR - 45°35'46.77"N 122°41'42.19"W

Put those numbers into Google Earth or Google Maps.
Google Maps
Google Earth

Ski jumps in Texas; Potholes in Arizona... What's the story here folks? How can a sport that is based upon comparing performance between two vehicles and two drivers end up having a majority of its races decided by something as correctable as track surfacing??? :confused:

I can understand if the weather caused the cars to run like crap- that would affect both of them unless one CC had their game on. But NHRA throws in an unfair advantage to one team when you have something like a left lane that was basically junk and teams attempting to get over a surface imperfection that should never be found on ANY dragstrip.

So- what are the worst tracks on the tour, in your opinion? Where are the one-lane wonders, the cruddy surfaces, the places where not conditions, but the TRACK condition will affect wins and losses on the day?

This may have already been said....but...GEEZ....it's only 1/4 mile of asphalt. Only a quarter mile!! That's all you have to work on 365 days a year. Make it perfect...a freakin' 1/4 mile. :confused:

Maybe one of you computer guys on here can do a mockup and insert "said" bump every 1/4 at Daytona or Indianapolis and see how that works. :confused:

And while I'm on it. At places like Bristol where there is tunnel under the track creating a problem. Why not move the tunnel past the finish line. Hell you're walking in the pits all day, whats another 1/8 mile to get to the tunnel entrance/exit.

I like to see things that makes each track unique and give it it's own character but that was a little rough.

I will probably regret this but in the interest of fair reporting, the track WAS recently repaved. The bump was detected and an attempt to remedy was made..............(big emphasis on "attempt") ;)

Just thought it should be known before throwing the track owners under the bus and giving our race to NASCAR country :D

Maybe it's my eyesight getting worse but I could see an unfinished raised ege at the transition area from the T.V. coverage. What prevented the owners who are in the paving business from rounding down the edge for a smoother transition?

Just asking?

Maybe it's my eyesight getting worse but I could see an unfinished raised ege at the transition area from the T.V. coverage. What prevented the owners who are in the paving business from rounding down the edge for a smoother transition?

Just asking?

see my previous post.
and maybe the track owners were not in charge of the repair.......
something to think about

Excellent post. You are right on the money here!!!!

Ski jumps in Texas; Potholes in Arizona... What's the story here folks? How can a sport that is based upon comparing performance between two vehicles and two drivers end up having a majority of its races decided by something as correctable as track surfacing??? :confused:

I can understand if the weather caused the cars to run like crap- that would affect both of them unless one CC had their game on. But NHRA throws in an unfair advantage to one team when you have something like a left lane that was basically junk and teams attempting to get over a surface imperfection that should never be found on ANY dragstrip.

So- what are the worst tracks on the tour, in your opinion? Where are the one-lane wonders, the cruddy surfaces, the places where not conditions, but the TRACK condition will affect wins and losses on the day?

Just asking?

There are local contractors with laser equip grinders that could have fixed track in several hours.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back