Is Pomona Really Sacred Ground? (1 Viewer)

Re: Is Pomona Really Sacred Gound?

Of the ones that remain, Pomona is the only decent track. LACR is a pile and Fontuky is 1/8 mile if I remember correctly.

Brent,

California Dragway at Fontana is 1320 feet with a little more shut off than Pomona. Irwindale and Barona are 660 foot drag strips and LACR is a large gravel pit.

LACR was a pit!
But it was a good bracket racing track. I had a lot of fun there.
At least it was a drag strip, running regularly, close to LA

At Pomona? There's a road and a golf course on the side of a huge hill at the end of the track. None of the three of those are likely to move.

Thanks Chris, the last time i went to Pomona was 1977 Winternationals. There was nothing there then.

no it's not sacred ground. If Yankee stadium can be torn down, so can Pomona.

Was Lions sacred ground?

Connecticut dragway?

you get the picture. Facilities come and go.

what's sacred is 1320.

Fontucky never was a 1/8 mile track and the shut down is about 50 feet longer than Pomona.

Gary, the rent at Pomona is huge so you'd better put on a event that gets a lot of people. The Goodguys did a ton of ads for their races and got a very small crowd.

Is Pomona Sacred?
I grew up in SoCal and I've never been to the Parking Lot. I aways thought that the Bakersfield Fuel and Gas Championships were much more important in the big skim of things, followed by The PDA meet. Used to be you could drag your mess to SoCal and race every weekend all winter, which made the whole trip understandable.

The Winternationals could be held at any track in the warm southwest in February. Why not start the season in Vegas or Phoenix. Maybe it is time to upgrade The Patch, and hold the Winter Nations there. Heck, I even like the Idea of Florida in February... Hook up with NASCAR and make it a part of Speed Weeks. But I guess Pomona is The NHRA's Daytona.

As far as the World Finals, go back to our roots and let it float from track to track.

SoCal might be the Birthplace of the NHRA, but it's no longer the home.

d'kid

YES!!!

DID a double-back flip spiral OFF of the top row of sec.4..row26

AND

Landed on my feet Right in from of an $8.00 beer vendor.

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WALLY DID have a vision.....ALL havin fun...THEY never had lawyers back then .

Is Pomona Sacred?
I grew up in SoCal and I've never been to the Parking Lot.
The Winternationals could be held at any track in the warm southwest in February. Maybe it is time to upgrade The Patch, and hold the Winter Nations there. SoCal might be the Birthplace of the NHRA, but it's no longer the home.
Run the Winters at Bakersfield, instead of Pomona! Wtf!? That`ll never happen. SoCal may have lost most of its tracks since you left the Southland Karl, but losing Pomona would be a HUGE loss. Try skipping Richmond one time, and come back to the place where this sport was born. Fairplex will always be at the top of the list when it comes to National Events imo.

Last edited:
Chris,
You may be right, Pomona may be the last 'track' in the country that really reflects the roots of the sport. Nope, there are still several that predate the Parking Lot. Never been there, never had the desire to go.

A Fair Ground Parking Lot, Abandoned Air Fields, the straightaway at the old Riverside raceway, that is the true Roots of our sport. Converted dry lakes cars, hot rods with the bodies removed running recapped 'slicks'... called them rail jobs.

Sacred Ground? Stone Hedge is Sacred Ground, The Vatican is Sacred Ground, Jerusalem Is Sacred Ground. And believe it or not Yellowstone is Sacred Ground.

Know my roots? The Santa Anna Airport Predates Pomona, Bakersfield Predates Pomona.A D/SA runs as quick or quicker as fuel cars did back 'in the day'.:eek: The Writing was on the wall when I left SoCal in the early eighties. Except a very hardcore following, The Southland doesn't give a flying rats about this thing of ours... there will never again be a state of the art, purpose built Dragstrip within 100 miles of 'downtown' LA.

I've 'gone racing' at lower Div 1 and Northern Div 2 tracks, plus IHRA tracks and Outlaw tracks in the last twenty five years. Even walked away from the Sport for almost fifteen years. Still knew what was going on, still read N/D a couple of times a month, still caught races on the tube, still checked the World Wide Wait for results.:)

As far as returning to The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia? I can tell you, That will never happen.:D See the dark comedy 'Southland Tales', it hits pretty much why I moved my family out of there.

d'kid

Thanks Chris, the last time i went to Pomona was 1977 Winternationals. There was nothing there then.

Don't want to be too picky Jesse - but my 1st Drag Race was at
Pomona -The Winters of 1961 (of course I was standing on the roof of a Church Bus across the street - just past the lights) and I have not missed a Nat'l event there since then.

So just for the record the street - golf course and hill have always been there. You may hve not noticed it when you were there in 77. Ya'll come back now any time. There are still a few good seats available by us - right Chris! :)

Never been to Pomona its the one oldie still on the tour that I haven't made.

With all the issues that go on there, cost wise, safety wise, facility and all I would have no problem if they packed up and moved.

Put the hall of fame at Indy or better yet Detroit

Maybe move to motown, lets build a track, house the corporate offices. Right now they could get some huge tax breaks coming here. They could even hire me....crap I think Mr Compton just spit out his milk reading that:D

anyway move the two events elsewhere. Put the second Chicago race back. Don't the do the cchr at Bakersfield? Is that big enough to hold a national event or could it be?

The nhra wisely moved away from National Trails (Columbus) no reason why they coulnd't do the same at Pomona.

I still don't know where DRO got the 2,000ft shut-down for Pomona. Fairplex avenue runs parallel with the Dragstrip, and I've measured the part of the stands where the starting line is to the Sand trap with my rental car like 5 times! And every time it's around .7 mile!

2376 is 4.5/10ths so plus or minus 1/2 a tenth is 241 feet.
a full tenth fudgefactor is 582 feet... it's 4/10ths from here to my jobs, so why do I drive 1.75 miles some days, 1.5 others? work home-lunch, work home

d'kid

With all the issues that go on there, cost wise, safety wise, facility and all I would have no problem if they packed up and moved. Put the second Chicago race back.
Of course you wouldn`t have a problem with packing up and moving Pomona....you`ve never been there. Trust me, the people that go to the Fairplex races would have a big problem their races went away.
They tried two races in Joliet, it didn`t work the first time.

Never been to Pomona its the one oldie still on the tour that I haven't made.

With all the issues that go on there, cost wise, safety wise, facility and all I would have no problem if they packed up and moved.

Put the hall of fame at Indy or better yet Detroit

Maybe move to motown, lets build a track, house the corporate offices. Right now they could get some huge tax breaks coming here. They could even hire me....crap I think Mr Compton just spit out his milk reading that:D

anyway move the two events elsewhere. Put the second Chicago race back. Don't the do the cchr at Bakersfield? Is that big enough to hold a national event or could it be?

The nhra wisely moved away from National Trails (Columbus) no reason why they coulnd't do the same at Pomona.

PJ, I think if you went to Pomona you'd see the mystique of the place! Plus, Sat/Sun draws about 35,000-40,000!

Of course you wouldn`t have a problem with packing up and moving Pomona....you`ve never been there. Trust me, the people that go to the Fairplex races would have a big problem their races went away.
They tried two races in Joliet, it didn`t work the first time.

No, they moved the fall date to Richmond, after the 05 season, so the season would still be 23 dates... Richmond is too close to Bristol for the spring date to have worked. But two dates at Chi Town did work, and very well.

I'd like to see them move the Winters to Phoenix and let the World Finals float. Or Maybe move The World Finals to Chi Town or Topeka.

d'kid

No, they moved the fall date to Richmond, after the 05 season, so the season would still be 23 dates... Richmond is too close to Bristol for the spring date to have worked. But two dates at Chi Town did work, and very well.

I'd like to see them move the Winters to Phoenix and let the World Finals float. Or Maybe move The World Finals to Chi Town or Topeka.

d'kid

Karl, I like Rt. 66 as much as anybody, I've been there 5 times! But 2 races were a Disaster! I can't remember a race so empty as those last 2 fall races, pathetic!

PJ, I think if you went to Pomona you'd see the mystique of the place! Plus, Sat/Sun draws about 35,000-40,000!

outta 3 millon plus people? I'm impressed. 1%. And when did Fairgrounds stop making them take down the grandstands lining the parking lot after the race? 15 or 20 years ago at the most.

The only Mystique Pomona has for me, is that's where Zoo won his first National event (Back when there were only 4). I also remember talk about moving the winters to the parking lot at the big A... instead OCIR got built... and they did hold the World Finals there a couple of Years.

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back