Bristol Crowd (1 Viewer)

JB3

Nitro Member
WOW !! Couldn't hide all those empty seats on TV. Friday nights crowd looked anemic. Both sides and all over, the empty seats were easy to find. Looks like a delayed reaction to the economy. I do not know how hard TN was hit by the last years troubles, but judging by last nights show people seem to be keeping their $$ in their pockets.

You had to know that when they've been having trouble selling out the NASCAR race, the economy in Bristol has taken a real downturn. Stands looked kinda like they did on Sunday's during the IHRA days there.

TN is also recently recovering from a really bad flood this year. People are really hurting there.

WOW !! Couldn't hide all those empty seats on TV. Friday nights crowd looked anemic. Both sides and all over, the empty seats were easy to find. Looks like a delayed reaction to the economy. I do not know how hard TN was hit by the last years troubles, but judging by last nights show people seem to be keeping their $$ in their pockets.

Jim,
I was there on Saturday. OMG! It was a ghost town. Incredible number of empty seats. I don't think I've ever seen a national event with so few in attendance.
And NASCAR is on the west coast so you can't attribute it to the locals going to see them instead of NHRA.
Sure hope things turn around soon.

Watching the finals today. Attendance doesn't look any better than Saturday. Long sections of bench showing.
I was there yesterday. Must say, Bristol is a very nice facility.
I'll be there again next year.

I have several friends up in that area.. and in the hot days of summer... nothing can get them away from the lake...and they are drag fans..

Billy

The attendance was abysmal, the TV shots didn't lie. Sunday's crowd appeared to be the largest, and it was far, far away from anything close to a full house. Kind of bothersome to see so many empty seats.

Watching the finals today. Attendance doesn't look any better than Saturday. Long sections of bench showing.
I was there yesterday. Must say, Bristol is a very nice facility.
I'll be there again next year.
Hey Flash ... In a way though, had to be kind of nice not standing elbow to elbow with everybody on a HOT summer day. Not like we are used to here in the east with the mosh pit type feel of the pits.

Coming back east any time soon ??

Well gee, I dont suppose the fact that the world economy is in the tank would have anything to do with it.:rolleyes:

ok - very easy to become to t. mcmillen fan - thanks for the pics.

#98 :eek: - please.....why at a national event!?
attn: nhra - the entertainment is in the pits & on the track.

that was at the FREE fan fest on saturday after the racing was over......but i guess you're right.....why show appreciation for the fans? :rolleyes:

Just supports my arguement that it's a lot easier to stay at home and watch motorsports (NASCAR or NHRA) when you've got $thousands invested in entertainment centers and the coverage is really good.

that was at the FREE fan fest on saturday after the racing was over......but i guess you're right.....why show appreciation for the fans? :rolleyes:

sorry, didn't know that's what it was........
spiffy uniforms and pc interviews by racers and crews on tv........
mullet band behind bleachers for fans.
interesting dichotomy to say the least :eek:

Just when you think things are bad another race happens with a packed house. I mean look at how Norwalk got a full house at the divisional..that was a first. But next year there is talk of an economic collapse as Obama is going to allow the Bush tax cuts to expire rather than to extend them and add to that cap and tax along with everything else and you have few people with discretionary income. So next year could be a ghost town at every event and not just drag racing. I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid you aint seen nothing yet.

Last edited:
Here's the grandstand at high noon on Sunday, just as the first pair were firing up. This was the best that the stands looked all weekend. My view never changed. We sat up on the hill behind the pits for every session.

P1030494.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back