Capps' Talks IHRA In His ESPN.com Column (1 Viewer)

ihradotcom

Nitro Member
Hey Everyone,

Just read Ron Capps' Column on ESPN.com and he praises IHRA at length after his visit to US 131 this past weekend. I think this is pretty damn cool!

Here's the link to the full column: http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=8&id=2544864

"I went to an IHRA race in Martin, Mich., last weekend, to support Evan Knoll, one of our sponsors. He was racing there and it was his first race back in a long time. My DSR teammate Mike Ashley was also there with the Torco Race Fuels Funny Car.

IHRA added Funny Cars this year and some of my friends on the NHRA tour that have been racing IHRA were telling me stories of how many spectators they pack into some of these races. It was cool to go back and, I have to tell you, our sport is very, very healthy right now. I felt like I was a rock star there. It was an amazing thing. I rolled into the pit area and I ended up signing more autographs and doing more things at that track on a Saturday -- my day off -- than I've ever done at an NHRA race.

And the people know everything about you. It was hard for me to walk from the pit area back to my bus and it was a weird feeling. Sometimes I had to go and hide, and I've never had that happen -- which is a good thing. It was a big deal. The IHRA had so many people come into the Saturday night show for qualifying, I could not believe it. The fans are there for the spectacle and the racing was great.

So, I had a great time. I was pulling for Evan, of course. It was his first time back in two years. I think he did a great job just getting in the car.

Evan is more of a friend than a sponsor, so we hung out with him and answered any questions he had for us. Melanie (Troxel, who is also sponsored by Torco) was there as well. We were there to help him.

In the first pass he ran it to half track and clicked it off. I think the throttle cable broke in his last run. He did a great job.

Don Schumacher, Ace and I talked about the possibility of going to a few IHRA races this year without conflicting dates and it still might happen. It might happen next year. Don was there Friday night as well. It's a completely different atmosphere and I think we would really have a great time hitting a few of those races. I think it would be neat to take the Brut car to a couple of IHRA races.

It reminded me a lot of when I was a kid and we went to the races that were all run on Friday and Saturday nights. I watched my heroes, like Don Schumacher, Snake (Don Prudhomme) and Mongoose (Tom McEwen). The stands were packed and it was packed from the fence to the grandstands. And nobody left their seats until everything was over. This event in Michigan reminded me of those old times as a kid.

There were fireworks, jet cars, everything. They had a jet Diesel that was pretty wild. I was in awe. I couldn't leave the tower until the jet cars ran. I was having a great time watching the whole show. It was great."

- Ron Capps

I haven't been to a NHRA national event yet so I can't really compare but I can say an IHRA event is an absolute blast and I've turned into a huge IHRA fan.

The nitro classes aren't as consistantly fast as NHRA but they run just as hard given what they have. The pro mods put on an absolutely great show and are just as entertaining as the nitro classes. Mountain motor pro stocks are unreal and the alcohol funny cars are world class.

IHRA has done some great things for drag racing the last few years. It would be interesting to hear from posters who have gone to both and hear the comparisons.

I've attended both NHRA and IHRA for years (35+) :eek: . Unfortunately I've not been able to attend an NHRA race in the last couple. This is by far the best IHRA season I've seen! It's been great! I was at Martin and Im looking forward to Norwalk. I brought some friends with me to Martin that had never been (drag race) before and they can't stop talking about attending the Motor City Nats at Milan next year.

Being a huge McCulloch/Capps fan it was great to see Capps in attendance at Martin. I don't know that they would bring the car to Norwalk (1 week before Indy- I'm guessing highly doubtful) but it would be very cool.

I go to both. IHRA has 2 races in Michigan. I go to Indy every year and try to sneak in Coloumbus onm the nhra side.

I want to word this carefully because I don't mean it as a slam but just to explain the atmosphere. If you've been to a big league and then a minor league baseball games. That's the difference nhra to ihra. Both are pro's but the nhra has the best of the best, the times are faster/quicker, the money is there. Ihra, like minor league baseball, puts on one hell of a show. Both have good close races, with top notch drivers. IIhra just seems to have more fun, I can't put my finger on why but they do.

While watching pro stock I was amazed how many people stayed in their seats. At Indy and Columbus after Nitro goes the fans leave the stands. At Martin people stayed to watch pro stock and even Alky funny car. At an Nhra event I'm used to being one of the few watching alky. Pro Mods are awesome, I really wish nhra would make them a full pro class.
The fire works were nice and Motz jet truck is awesome. I've seen it probably 15 times now and it still blows me away. They usually also have wheelstanders but didn't this year. Plus the have the top stock class which is heads up, wheels up, close racing its great.

One thing I did hear people mention was that they didn't have to listen to the powerade guys during down time. The still tossed stuff into the stands but they had these guys doing tricks on a motorcycle and a quad during down time. The contest powerade does is cool, its the acting like we're in some dance club on the mic that gets old.

Regardless I'm a fan of both

I've attended both NHRA and IHRA for years (35+) :eek: . Unfortunately I've not been able to attend an NHRA race in the last couple. This is by far the best IHRA season I've seen! It's been great! I was at Martin and Im looking forward to Norwalk. I brought some friends with me to Martin that had never been (drag race) before and they can't stop talking about attending the Motor City Nats at Milan next year.

Being a huge McCulloch/Capps fan it was great to see Capps in attendance at Martin. I don't know that they would bring the car to Norwalk (1 week before Indy- I'm guessing highly doubtful) but it would be very cool.

actually you could get lucky. Same part of the country, it would make for a good test weekend right before Indy. I know others have done that in the past

I go to both. IHRA has 2 races in Michigan. I go to Indy every year and try to sneak in Coloumbus onm the nhra side.

"I want to word this carefully because I don't mean it as a slam but just to explain the atmosphere. If you've been to a big league and then a minor league baseball games. That's the difference nhra to ihra. Both are pro's but the nhra has the best of the best, the times are faster/quicker, the money is there. Ihra, like minor league baseball, puts on one hell of a show. Both have good close races, with top notch drivers. IIhra just seems to have more fun, I can't put my finger on why but they do."

PJ You nailed it. First I have to say that NHRA is still the show to see BUT IHRA just seems to have a more personal atmosphere. I have more FUN at an IHRA race. Maybe I'm biased growing up in Michigan and all of my "home" national events are IHRA.

I had considered the testing aspect of Norwalk for the Brut team but I also think it depends on how they run at the next two events before Indy. We'll wait and see.

I haven't been to an IHRA event since 1993, and to be perfectly honest until very recently, I hadn't missed going to them. I have been able to get my Pro Mod fix at the NHRA events here in Vegas. I have been paying more attention to IHRA since they added funny cars back in though. I think it's great for the "little guys" like Wyatt and Peanut. I am also very glad that they are drawing huge crowds, it will only be good for the sport as a whole. Since I live on the West Coast, I am pretty much out of luck to see an event though.

Registered member said:
Thanks PJ for the great comparison.

I imagine it's less corporate and hear its more fan friendly than NHRA. An example of this I can share. In Edmonton I get there early and tape a blanket on the top row of the bleachers. That space is mine for the entire weekend and I can pretty much come and go as I please all day long. Somehow I can't imagine getting away with that at an NHRA event.

Being on the West Coast I really wish that the IHRA had some events that were closer. I would love to go to one and experience that. Anything for another drag race fix! Well maybe I am going to have to get off my butt and head back East one of these years. Probably would have to make it somewhere in Ohio so I could hit the Pro Football Hall of Fame too! :)

Paul, If I lived out West and wanted to come east for a drag racing vacation and the football hall of fame. I would fly in to Cleveland,rent a car do the IHRA Norwalk Ohio race the last weekend of August, drive down to Canton and tour the Football hall of fame on Monday or Tuesday on my way to Indy for the U.S. Nationals the following (Labor Day)weekend, and fly out of Indy home. A perfect 10 day vacation with everything you want to do, of course after that marathon you would need another vacation just to recover!:D Good Luck, let me know how it works out for ya.... Doug

Doug,
Thanks for the hints! Man that sounds like a great trip. I just may have to plan that one out...I do have a good friend that lives in Columbus also so I could hook up with him too. You are right about needing another vacation...I would have to go back to work just so I could rest!

I have been to both sanctioning bodies shows as a competitor and a spectator. These are the things I have noticed.

If you want to see the best Pro show then NHRA is your deal. Not the IHRA is not good but it is not up to the performance of the NHRA.

If your are a Pro competitor and want to race against the best, then NHRA is your deal also.

BUT if you are a "lower" level competitior as we were in alky funny car you are treated SO much better in IHRA.

As a spectator I found the overall show at IHRA is actually better. For whatever reason, everything seems a little "looser", friendlier, and very much reminds me of the way it was "back then". Maybe it is just the overall attitude but it is definately better and I highly reccomend go to see a show and particulary the Nite of Fire.

Each has their pluses and minuses, you just have to figure out what works best for you.

jim

.... And they're BOTH head and shoulders above a NASCAR event! :D

OK seriously I've had the opportunity to attend a few NASACR events from both the stands and the infield. The most recent was Chicago this year. I know that I am biased but I just can't see the draw over drag racing. It's exciting (to a point) to watch the full field come around the first turn but give me two fuel cars launching ANY and EVERY time! Last week when I was at Martin, Ashley was in the first pair for qualifying. After he layed down his 4.86 I had huge goosebumps from the adrenaline rush. It was awesome. I just don't get as excited watching NASCAR.

Sorry to take this thread a bit of course but this topic just solidified how much I enjoy BOTH IHRA and NHRA drag racing for all the reasons listed!

Being on the West Coast I really wish that the IHRA had some events that were closer. I would love to go to one and experience that. Anything for another drag race fix! Well maybe I am going to have to get off my butt and head back East one of these years. Probably would have to make it somewhere in Ohio so I could hit the Pro Football Hall of Fame too! :)

norwalk is only about an hour from the hall of fame. Its been a few years since I've been but now that Barry Sanders is in I need to make a return trip

Well after (now) having been to both IHRA and NHRA national events I think I'm qualified to comment on the differences. I agree with those who say IHRA is more like minor league ball - there aren't as many big names and you likely won't see the outstanding (numerically speaking) performances, but it'll be a lot of fun and you'll be able to get really close to the action. About the only thing I found odd about IHRA is their "professionalizing" some classes which most people would agree are sportsman (Top Sportsman, Alcohol FC). Other than that, I love both.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back