is 4 wide reason for low attendance? (1 Viewer)

I do worry Burton will try to push this through to too many tracks but it's his money

I wouldn't be worried about that. There is no way to make Bristol a 4 wide track as it there just isn't the physical space with out moving the mountains (again). Sonoma you could add two more lanes, but it would screw up the road course.

I’ve been to Vegas spring the last few years. I don’t care for 4 wide but go because it’s a break from winter and there’s so much to do there. Also, the Strip is a great facility, my favorite along with Norwalk. As for crowds, they were good but we sit on the starting line and always have plenty of room to stretch out at Vegas. Try that at Norwalk. I think there just aren’t many cities nearby to drive from. I probably won’t go again for a different reason. You can’t buy good (starting line) seats without buying the whole weekend. If you just want to go Sunday, you’re in section L instead of A or B.

As far as I am concerned there are not any bad seats at a dragrace. Refering to 4 Wide, it's like drinking out of a firehose, too much volume to personally consume and a lot of waste. I'm suprised the sponsors haven't said something about that!

As far as I am concerned there are not any bad seats at a dragrace. Refering to 4 Wide, it's like drinking out of a firehose, too much volume to personally consume and a lot of waste. I'm suprised the sponsors haven't said something about that!

Obviously the sponsors and majority of fans like 4 wide or it would have stopped years ago.

Don't write in blood. I think that color is copyrighted, lol.

wayne- i do not agree with that. NHRA is fully under duress from smith. if NHRA does not do as he says, all his tracks will be non-NHRA in 24 hours. bruton has control of this, NOT NHRA. if NHRA refuses smiths circus they be in deep poo-poo. after smith kicks the bucket we can go back to normal drag racing without being under threat a bunch of tracks will get shut down over brutons hissy fits

wayne- i do not agree with that. NHRA is fully under duress from smith. if NHRA does not do as he says, all his tracks will be non-NHRA in 24 hours. bruton has control of this, NOT NHRA. if NHRA refuses smiths circus they be in deep poo-poo. after smith kicks the bucket we can go back to normal drag racing without being under threat a bunch of tracks will get shut down over brutons hissy fits
Seriously? So a man who has made a huge investment in the sport, and decides to offer something different a couple of times a year, and you’re waiting for him to “kick the bucket”?

The proof is in the numbers whether you agree or not. Also, you assume the tracks will stay open once Bruton is gone?

everytime there is a 4 wide race it blows up here on mater. so something is certainly a mater of 4 wides or it would not blow up mater at each event. i am just going by all the posts i have seen here on mater. a human can not watch 2 fuel cars with full vision at 339 mph in 3.6 seconds. your eyeballs vibrate at the hit. so it will take a lot of explaining how we are suppose to watch 4 cars in 3.6 seconds at the same time????? we all know that it is impossible to watch 4 fuel cars at a time without missing out on something. so we do it anyway. as for his tracks after he is gone? i would think that might be a family issue. so, if bruton is looking out for this sport, he will have it set up to continue without him. just like a couple-few big name racing teams will do.

Where did you guys get the idea that the crowd was weak?

In years past, the Vegas Spring race was weak compared to the Fall race. Last year the inaugural 4-Wide was a sellout. But you have to take that with a grain of salt. Inaugural events are always bigger, because everyone wants to be part of something new and see the first one. The true comparison happens now and I was told that the attendance was up 60% over the last Spring 2-Wide event. It wasn't quite a sellout, but it was a very strong crowd.

I'm not privy to all the promotional stuff that happens, but I did hear radio adds, and see a couple of billboards while I was there. We also had the Fan Fest at New York, New York. And these days more and more advertising is shifting towards on-line and social platforms.

I know that not everyone loves the 4-Wide format, and that's fine. We have 22 2-Wide events a year built just for you. And with 4-Wide in the Spring and 2-Wide in the Fall each event has it's own personality. Same for Charlotte. 4-Wide does get a lot of new fans to come give it a look, and some of them will get hooked.

David, serious question. After seeing Bo win Pro Stock on the first ever Triple Holeshot, would it be more exciting to have him come back and race Matt one on one?

Alan
I think most racers and fans hate it but Bruton Smith shoved it down their throats

Bruton's tracks are a publicly traded corporation, so they will be around after he is gone. Speedway Motorsports Incorporated, stock symbol TRK.

We did not have low attendance this weekend. We had very strong attendance, so what's the point of this thread?

Alan

The attendance may not have been low because the public eats up the excitement of 4 high powered cars. But the real fans don't like it. The public is here today and gone tomorrow. There is no guarantee they will be back. They need to cater to the real fans.

The attendance may not have been low because the public eats up the excitement of 4 high powered cars. But the real fans don't like it. The public is here today and gone tomorrow. There is no guarantee they will be back. They need to cater to the real fans.
Don't hardcore, die-hard fans often start as casual fans? Don't we want both?

People thought that last year: people would come to the first Vegas 4 wide, then would not come back. But they did come back to the second one. While I prefer 2 wide, it appears there are enough fans to support two 4 wide races. Unfortunately a lot of sports fans (not just racing fans) don't like change in their sport. Hence the continued complaints about 4 wide, 1000 feet, countdown. Similar to when designated hitter was brought into baseball.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back