Indy Essentials? (1 Viewer)

After a lifetime of playing rock & roll, shooting firearms, drag racing, power tools, unmuffled chainsaws etc., I no longer need earplugs.:D :D :rolleyes:

Linda, I don't know if you have little ones, but we've made 'dog tags' for our kiddos that they wear with both of our cell phone numbers on them. My son (he's twelve) has ours memorized and has his own phone.......but we worry about Daniel's 8 year old. He can barely remember what day it is. lol

When I first started going to these races, I felt like King Kong by Not cover my ears for anything but the Fuel cars! That turned out to be a mistake! I plug my ears for any of the Blown cars(TF, FC, Alky Cars and Pro mod) Pro stock, Comp, SS and the other Sportsman classes aren't a Biggy.

essentials for a lady? a halter top. everything else will just fall into place.

I know I'm a pig.

so many good ideas here.

Don't forget to stop by one of the mater meetings. pro pit side right in front of the nitro mall. See the mater meeting thread for times

forget the purse, bring a small backback, its easier to carrry.

Drivers generally stand by their pits to sign autographs but also look at their souvenir booths. Many of them go there to sign things, you mentioned kenny B, I have seen him many times singing items at his booth.

Ear plugs really are a must. I've done the no plugs deal but I decided years ago that I want to be able to hear what my kids are saying so I wear them when the nitro guys are up. If you really want to go top notch get the headphones with the am/fm radio that way you can tune in to the announcers. The loud cars will not cover the announcing up that way and they offer protection from the loudness.

Have fun

If you get to hear Kenny B singing you may want the earplugs!

hahah ya know the bad part about that, I typed it once realized I had it worng and retyped it. I didn't realized I did the exact same thing again....is it Friday yet

Lots of good suggestions here.....but I always bring a "kerchief". You can use it to block the sun on your neck or your arms....or here's a tip.....lol.......when the coke/beer vendor goes by....... stick that kerchief in the melted ice water and put it around your neck (or on your head...lol)......INSTANT cooling!.....lol The humidity in Indy is a killer.....so one of those little hand-held fans can come in handy. Have fun!

Just adding to the list of items

A camera.

You have to chronicle your day(weekend) at the track for us, & we like pictures.:D

Yes, yes! And I've already offered to Linda that I would host and post them. btw....that's an open offer to all.

Drag racing essentials

Hey Linda, you have received a great list of must haves. Can't speak for the personal female stuff but you already know what those things are. Kelly can PM you with the "must not forget things".

In regards to the debate over ear plugs, I say bring something! I personally don't like the cheapie orange or yellow ones on a string that you have to carefully insert into each ear. They take more time to get in correctly than they are worth, IMO. I like the orange (typically) band type that you can move down around your neck or somewhere else on your head/hat when you want to talk/listen to someone when the Nitro/Alcohol cars aren't running. I too am old enough to know that I've done ENOUGH damage to my hearing since my youth, and would prefer not to spend my retirement years deaf or wearing dual hearing aids. I started going to the drags in the 60's and have always watched nitro racing, and other than a once in awhile "leave the ear plugs out to relive my youth" moment of insanity, I pretty much keep them in. I've been to my share of rock concerts too, and clubs/bars with live bands and I don't need that anymore.

I too recommend some sort of padded seat as aluminum or wood are not comfortable for anyone hours on end. This past year I broke down and bought a pair of nice stadium seats with aluminum frames that fold up as they have a padded seat bottom and back-rest. It made all the difference in the world, especially for my wife. I know from history that she doesn't like sitting long if she is uncomfortable, and she sometimes can't handle sitting in a car seat for hours. We actually base the purchase of her new car(s) on which car (out of many brands) had the most comfortable seats and seat backs. The shape, style, color, or any other options mean nothing to her if the seats are not comfortable to her. (note: she isn't overweight either)

So, a hat, sunscreen, a sweatshirt or light jacket, maybe a portable fan as Judy mentioned, and the cold wet handkerchief is a great idea, and those ear plugs, and a pad (or stadium seat) for comfort, and $$$$$ and even if you just have a basic digital camera, take it! Binoculars might be nice, never thought to bring them. Have a great time. Indy is one race I have to make in my lifetime, but haven't yet. Kinda like the Mecca of Drag Racing !!

My List

Yes, I'm a member of the "hearing protection for blown cars club". I use the industrial-looking headphones and they work great! I can't stand the foam plugs - they never seem to fit my ears.

Another thing that I take is a foam seat pad. I found a great one at a camping store - it's really intended for hunters but it's perfect for racing. It's called a "Bun Saver", comes in a nice woodland camo, and is a smallish self-inflating pad. Got mine for $14 CDN so it's cheap and easy to pack since it comes with a strap you can wrap around the seat and then hang it off my backpack straps for the LONG walk to the car. Oh yeah, I also take all the water I can fit in my backpack - usually I take 1 from the fridge and 2 frozen ones - the frozen ones melt during the day and help keep my sandwiches cool. Enjoy!!

Please, I beg you... DO NOT TAKE EAR PLUGS!! It's a DRAG RACE, they are loud o.k. If you want to wear earplugs go to a baseball game or somewhere else... They just ruin the overall experience of the sensory overload you are going to experience... I wore them the first time I warmed up a TOP FUEL car and I could not tell you a thing that was going on... They just seem to make things seem muffled and not real... My sister usually brings these things...Take your lip gloss and a compact with a mirror so you can get the flakes of rubber off your face... Other then that, just bring your patience... and whatever Kelly told ya!:D But please leave the earplugs in the bag... I beg you...:eek: Have a great time!!!:)

There are going to be ALOT of people (crew people also) that will be wearing ear plugs or headphones. Decide for your self if you want to use them or not, but at least take some.:)
Have Fun!!!!

as for the padded seats. I've picked up freebie ones the last couple of years there. Ameriquest was giving them out (with snake standing there siGNing them.

I can no longer be without earplugs for the loud cars. Many years of rock and roll (drummer) and fuel cars. Pain.

I usually get a bunch of those anti-bacterial moist towlette packets before the weekend and put them in my back pockets. Many times, hand washing facilities are not what they should be. I am a germophobe and they are very handy right before you eat or when putting those index fingers in the ear canal as those fuel cars go by.

X-BALM is mandatory lip protection.

and now for the no. 1 thing to remember in indy....

I don't think anyone has touched base on the biggest thing to remember when going to indy is:

THEY DONT SELL BEER IN INDIANA ON SUNDAY!

Plan accordingly. Also note State Police have been known to set up DWI checkpoints outside the track, so think when you drink.

yeap no beer on sundays will hanna, i think ohio is the same but thats all right , indy ess. jack daniels and crown. but i do buy beer for those who want some. but like u said think b4 u drink

Long Sunday...

For racers in the alcohol classes and comp, Sunday is a long day. You run round one in the morning, then you're done. I know alot of Comp guys go play golf the rest of the day.

All it takes is running out of beer once on a Sunday up there...

One essential for me is a plastic baggie with some baby wipes. I use them to wipe down my arms, head, and the back of my neck during and after a long and sweaty day. I was just getting packed and noticed I no longer have any in the house...wow that's a shock! Kids sure are growing up! So I will be picking up a travel pack of wipes I guess...

Another trick I use is to by a pack of plastic bubble bags for shipping things in the mail. They are cheap and they make a light seat cushion that fits in my travel bag. (no pink backpack at Indy PJ...sorry LOL )

one week from today for me.......wooo hooo!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back