Indy Essentials? (1 Viewer)

Fast455

Nitro Member
Okay, Indy is getting close and it's the first 'big race' that I've ever went to. I just want to make sure that I have everything packed that will be needed at a race. This is where you all come in...;)

Some of you have gone to so many races over the years. What are the 'must haves' and 'for heaven's sake, what did I ever bring that for' that you'd care to relate? I have the sunblock, a hat, sunglasses - what else?

Can't possibly begin to tell you how excited I am to go to this race. I want to meet John Force and yes, Kelly, I'm planning on finally meeting Ron, too. :) We can't go to the DSR Open House because the pastor's recovering from surgery so my workload is heavier but, hopefully, most of the racers will be at the track.

Thanks for your input!
Linda
aka Fast455

As far as being at the Track yes sunblock's very Important. A Good Camera's a must, Since I'm not sure when your next race may be, stop by as many Trailer's as Possible and grab the Herocards. Those are free handouts with a Picture of Driver and car on them. Plus it's nice to get an event shirt since it's your first race.

I always take my sunblock and never use it.....just takes up space in my backpack if you ask me. :D

Must haves for women are alot different than men. I just might share mine in a PM. ;)

If you're anything like me, you'll end up carrying the stuff that the males with you bring. :rolleyes:

Seriously.. If your gonna be sitting in the stands.. a nice "SMALL" set of binoculars would be great.. I have a pair of Nikon small ones & they are great.. you can look right at the driver as he/she is backing up after a burnout.. or what ever.. me as a "male" tend to look at some of the attractive "eye candy" that is wandering the pits :) My Avatar is an example...

Please don't call me a DOM (Dirty Old Man) I'm Old.. but ain't dead yet...

But you'll always find something you want to see closer.. :)

Have fun.. its a BALL...

Sunblock, Money, a Camera, batteries for the camera and.....money....oh yea a hat and EARPLUGS! dont' forget MONEY!!!!! and your OAKLEYS!!!!!

Ear Plugs or Headphones
Please, I beg you... DO NOT TAKE EAR PLUGS!! It's a DRAG RACE, they are loud o.k. If you want to wear earplugs go to a baseball game or somewhere else... They just ruin the overall experience of the sensory overload you are going to experience... I wore them the first time I warmed up a TOP FUEL car and I could not tell you a thing that was going on... They just seem to make things seem muffled and not real... My sister usually brings these things...Take your lip gloss and a compact with a mirror so you can get the flakes of rubber off your face... Other then that, just bring your patience... and whatever Kelly told ya!:D But please leave the earplugs in the bag... I beg you...:eek: Have a great time!!!:)

Jeez Ray..they're not just loud..it's ear damage loud! I don't wear 'em..after years of rock & roll and drag racing..my hearing is impaired (selectively..hehe). But I would suggest ear protection..that's just common sense.

Oh you otta see me at the track trying to get those things outta peoples ears... Worst invention ever made... For DRAG RACING anyhow...:D :p :eek:

Jeez Ray..they're not just loud..it's ear damage loud! I don't wear 'em..after years of rock & roll and drag racing..my hearing is impaired (selectively..hehe). But I would suggest ear protection..that's just common sense.
So is sunblock, but whoops, left that in the car a mile and a half away... WHERE THE EAR PLUGS should be!!:D

Glad I asked!

I never would have thought of binoculars so I'm glad it was mentioned. Don't need them for deer hunting right now anyway...

I'll be waiting for a PM from you, Kelly, since you bring a woman's viewpoint to this question. Had to laugh when you said that you usually end up carrying all the guy's stuff, too.

I wouldn't know what a Hero card is if I fell over it but do collect drag racing cards. Maybe they're in the same category??? :cool: I'll be sure to get those though -

Know who I'd really, really like to meet? The Snake and Kenny Bernstein. The old racers are legends and it's for a good reason. I don't know if they are generally around their driver's trucks or not but I think it would be something just to shake their hands.

Can you tell that I'm excited about this trip? Oh, yes, this is my anniversary gift, too!

Linda
aka Fast455

On the subject of earplugs.. when I used to take photos on the starting line.. I "HAD" to wear em that close to the start line.. but if I'm in the stands I never cover my ears..

I think the "FUNNIEST" thing I ever saw & still see is fans who stand right up front near a TF or FC when they are starting it up in the pits.. & the fan has on earplugs, goggles, air filter (gas mask) hat,... hell he may as well have a Deep Sea Divers Helmut on for all he will hear, see, or smell...

Bring a jacket or sweatshirt, pending on the weather, the night sessions can get a little chilly.

May I also suggest some fruit, jerky, snacks, etc. of your personal choice. At $5. for a basic hot dog and much more for a plate of real food, it's nice to have something to manage the munchies. I bring this stuff anytime I have my grandsons.
A pad of some sort can be helpful in the bleachers when you sit for hours at a time.
With all due respect to Ray, I never go to any drag race without ear protection. I wear the good shooter's plugs around my neck awaiting a noisy moment and they hang there for hours when we are talking. I personally have had decades of playing or listening to both rock & roll as well as drag races and the loss is not worth the coolness. Heck you can feel the nitro cars so well penetrating your chest that you don't need to hear them unprotected but that's just one old man's opinion.

Leave it to "The Doctor" to take all the fun outta life... His points are well taken as is the carry a heavy sweat shirt or jacket with you... That is a must no matter how hot the days may be... The cold will kill ya!! Doc, You have all my respect in the world... Have a BLAST!! hun...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back