I Knew It Was Coming (1 Viewer)

The stupid thing is it doesnt reward overall season efforts....if you play it conservative, never win a race, finish 8th in the points after indy, even if your 300 behind 1st, you get bumped up, then finish 4th in points after virginia, another 300 behind, but then you win the last 2 races, you win the title......basically, someone like tony schu or doug kalitta could win the first 21 races, and loose the championship...how much sense does that make? the nascar thing works, becuase you have long races...this isnt nascar.....you dont get a mulligan.....its pure stupidness

debut post of the century.

basically, someone like tony schu or doug kalitta could win the first 21 races, and loose the championship...how much sense does that make? the nascar thing works, becuase you have long races...this isnt nascar.....you dont get a mulligan.....its pure stupidness

An NFL team could go 16-0 in the regular season and lose to a wild card team in the playoffs. The Steelers did not even win their division last year, does that mean that they don't deserve to be Super Bowl Champions?

Now all the Pro points battles ae decided at the final race. What a farce! So much for the late season charge!

NHRA what were you thinking???
Can't you come up with your own ideas instead of copying NASCAR's?

Danny

Excuse me while I puke....
puke.gif

An NFL team could go 16-0 in the regular season and lose to a wild card team in the playoffs. The Steelers did not even win their division last year, does that mean that they don't deserve to be Super Bowl Champions?
Chris,
Is there a possibility you missed that game as suggested? Levy and his officiating staff won that game more clearly than the noon sun on a 120 degree day.
You made your own point perfectly! If you can run the table with your last certain number of events as the Steelers did (despite the actuallity of the "not so Super Bowl" you are back in the running for the top but not under Compton's new plan. You then become a willing spectator spending $8K per run for no reason beyond your love of the sport or contractual obligation.

I like everything about the countdown to eight. However the countdown to four is ridiculous. Two races to determine the champion, what the hell?:confused:

I think what made the 2005 Funny Car Championship so special was that it occurred natuarally and didn't take any points adjustments to manufacture. It will definitely take some air out of the balloon if driver x wins the championship because the points were bunched up after Reading and again before Vegas. When we get a year where one driver amasses the most points but loses the championship because of the points being adjusted we'll have a debate over who the real champion is, just like College Football.

I guess you didn't watch the game?

Of course I watched the game, I was making a point.

Just like a football team can go 16-0 and lose in the playoffs, a team that wins the majority of races can lose out in the "chase" format. Does that make the eventual champion any less of a champion? I don't think anyone can say that the Steelers aren't worthy champs.

I wonder if Bader knew about this before he decided to switch his track to the NHRA. Norwalk is now stuck with a meaningless race. I bet Aaron Polburn's distress about losing Norwalk has been great relieved. I can't wait to see what will happen when Evan Knoll's purchase of Bader's shares goes through.

Just a few notes from their announcement:

The NHRA POWERade world championship just got a little more interesting for fans, sponsors, and race teams.

Well... Nitromater certainly perked up!!:D

NHRA announced today a new multitiered Countdown to the Championship in all four Professional categories of the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series. Utilizing the final-elimination-round concept synonymous with the sport of NHRA POWERade Drag Racing, where winners move on and losers go home,

Um... We loved that about SUNDAY but not the whole friggin' season!!!

“This historic change in our championship point structure will add more excitement and drama to the entire season and magnify the spotlight during the season’s final six races for our fans and the entire racing community.

OK... So those 6 races will be magnified and therefore more important, right (hold this thought)

This format makes every race in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series schedule that much more important,” continued Compton.

Wait a minute... EVERY race is more important? 6 are magnified but they are all more important? So my Sonoma race will be MORE important next season than it is this season right?

“There is nothing in motorsports that rivals the traditional Sunday elimination brackets that have been a part of NHRA POWERade Drag Racing for years.

Well, except maybe the TRADITIONAL season-long points chase that you just screwed with!!

By applying that elimination concept to determine the series points standings, we have by far the most intriguing and suspenseful battle for any championship in all of motorsports.”

I think what they MEANT to say is that we took a perfectly good points chase and NASCARed it up a little just for fun.

No team has ever come back from outside the Top Eight with six races remaining to win the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series world championship under the current points system.

I think we all understand this point but I just don't see why number 8 should suddenly be given a jump in the points so that they NOW have a shot at the title.

“Traditionally, prior to the final six races of the season, only a few teams still have had a shot at winning a POWERade world championship. Under this new program, eight teams in each of the Professional categories will have a legitimate chance to win,” said Compton.

Even some who really should not have a chance because of their poor early or mid season performance.... :(

I am not saying that this couldn't eventually prove to be an OK system but at first glance I just HATE it.

So by your logic, if Doug Kalitta has the championship locked up at Richmond, then Schumacher wont bother to run at Las Vegas or Pomona?

Alan

Bad example Alan change Schumacher to let's say Wise, Foley or Zizzo and your point would be mute. :cool:
We aren't talking about the rich kids we are talking about the little guy's.
I don't like this new rule it takes something away from our sport! I could care less to what happens to NASCAR but I do care about our sport which just keeps getting watered down as far as I'm concerned and this adds to the delusion.:(

How much fun is it going into Pomona when all the championships have been decided? How cool will it be to go into the finals, and have all four championships up for grabs? Last year the FC race went down to the wire and it was GREAT. And that was a JFR car and two DSR cars. I don't remember the cries about the "lower budget" guys not having a chance then. Anyone remember the years that Force had it locked up at Indy? And for the rest of the year, all the other Funny Cars still showed up.

Just hang on guys, the sky isn't falling

Alan

Bad example Alan change Schumacher to let's say Wise, Foley or Zizzo and your point would be mute. :cool:
We aren't talking about the rich kids we are talking about the little guy's.
I don't like this new rule it takes something away from our sport! I could care less to what happens to NASCAR but I do care about our sport which just keeps getting watered down as far as I'm concerned and this adds to the delusion.:(

Bob,

The three guys you bring up don't run the full schedule and race for the championship now, so what difference will this make to them?

Alan

My 2 cents worth.

Instead of automatically giving each driver a 10 point bonus for each higher position that they finish in the first 17 races (2070, 2060, etc.) how about giving the drivers 10 bonus points for each victory? If a driver has 10 victories, they get 2100. There would be some reward for individual race victories.

Murdock.

It will certainly be "guaranteed" excitement each season. I don't see a problem with A playoff system. However, my problem with this one is the unpredictabilty of drag racing and only have 2 races after the field is reset. It needs more races for the big finale!!!

Anyone remember the years that Force had it locked up at Indy? And for the rest of the year, all the other Funny Cars still showed up.

Just hang on guys, the sky isn't falling

Alan

The sad thing is, that can never happen again with this new format. If a guy goes out and is that much better than his competition, then he should be able to wrap it up mid season. Granted, last years battle for the championship was great, and unfortunetly, I think thats what lead to this new format b/c of all the hype that it associated with it.

Of course I watched the game, I was making a point.

Just like a football team can go 16-0 and lose in the playoffs, a team that wins the majority of races can lose out in the "chase" format. Does that make the eventual champion any less of a champion? I don't think anyone can say that the Steelers aren't worthy champs.

I can , and I will

the steelers aren't worthy champions. Indy was a better team all year. The steelers got a gift.

someone already asked what the owners/drivers think about this;
i'd like to know what sponsors and potential sponsors think about this.
who could benefit more than the sponsors, especially if it's designed
to lure 'new' fans / expand customer base.
very much micky mouse for the veteran fan, but hey, they don't have
to market to us, we're already buying.

someone already asked what the owners/drivers think about this;
i'd like to know what sponsors and potential sponsors think about this.
who could benefit more than the sponsors, especially if it's designed
to lure 'new' fans / expand customer base.
very much micky mouse for the veteran fan, but hey, they don't have
to market to us, we're already buying.

As far as the sponsors go, my guess is that they are saying, "Do what ever you want. Show us that the "numbers" are better next season and we will be happy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back