I Knew It Was Coming (2 Viewers)

Why didn't they just name it the Team Schumacher vs. Team Force King of the Mountain?

What a terrible idea. Way to go NHRA....alienate the smaller teams and independents even more.

Yeah, I didn't think about this, half asleep, but lets take f/c for example, if they're doing what is it? A top eight, there could be four Force cars and four Schumacher cars like Drew mentioned above, which would be a real 'blast' to watch.. NO THANKS! Or three Force cars, two Pedregon cars, a couple Schumacher cars, and maybe say a Tim Wilkerson or Dean Skuza ;) Well if it panned out like the second list, it would be nice for a single car team to take it all from the big boys. I can see what the NHRA are trying to do, it's a new strategic marketing tool to further promote their organization and gain some new fans. And make an already exciting sport, just that little bit more interesting. Well I'm not going to say anymore until I see it work, but I'm not going to say I like it, and I'm not going to try and whinge, they don't care what a fan has to say.

Mike

Maybe just maybe...someone ought to have asked some questions in NASCAR land before they followed them down this path. The majority of teams hate it...and it routinely draws the ire of many.

The problem with the scenario....and check with the folks in NASCAR land...teams have their sponsorships based on the races leading up to the cup. Some budgets get cut if they don't make it in into the Chase.

Why do teams work hard to get ahead of the pack during the first part of the season? With this philosophy, I could win all 17 races and it wouldn't mean didley squat at race 18 except for having my lead cut to 10 points. Then I could stumble in a "Race to the Four" event and my season could be screwed.

We've all heard that saying from our parents when we complained "but Johnny did it" and then our parents would respond...if Johnny jumped in a lake would you?

This is a prime case...Johnny jumped in the lake and we followed him.

If you want a tighter chase with more excitement....have a shorter schedule. Indy used to mean something...now its race 18 of 23.

Get the drift?

Any body remember when Indy paid double points?:confused:

NHRA's decision makers continue to baffle me. The new points system seems to be intended to generate more fan (and media) attention. Yet they schedule the E-town event when it's too hot and has to beg for media attention. And this is in the NY area where it's not hard to find a TV reporter looking for a major "something" to report.

Then, they decide to start the "chase" in Reading in August. Reading's my favorite track, but don't you think they should start the chase at a big media event (like Indy).

Reading and E-town are two of the quickest tracks, so why do they make the racers battle the heat and humidity? Both tracks have so many "firsts" in the record books - I think those days are gone for good.

and another thing

last year we had an awesome chace in Funny Car with 3 guys battling it out. It looks to be that way with 2 this year.

TF has 4 drivers, bikes have 4, pro stock has 3. They're already is comptition.

Why have scripted, contrived drama by restacking the deck a couple of times throughout the year.

The championship will mean nothing. Just rotate the trophy every year to someone else, who cares anymore.

I hope the drivers revolt on this and fast. This is such a bs move. I wish I hadn't just send my membership renewal in.

Holy crap I'm so pissed I Can't see straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“The Countdown to the Championship is an inclusive program whereby more competitors will have a chance to win an NHRA POWERade world championship than ever before,” said Tom Compton, president, NHRA

There was a line in a hip hop track, it went... "F*CK Compton" It applies here!

Mike

I'm not exactly sure what to write. I thought Nascar's version would fail but it didnt but they are alot more popular than we are. I dont know. I dont think this will increase revenue and tv exposure that much. Am I alone?
I really dont think this is a good idea but I am sure it wont hurt them that much either. I thought that in Nascar the teams that didnt have a chance wouldnt show up either but they do, so I dont know. I just think it should have been left alone. I dont like the fact that you could win the first 17 races, and then get beat 1st round the next 7 or whatever and lose the championship. Reward overall yearly consistency. Isint that what a championship is all about? Not being able to be better than everyone else for 6,7 races?

I'm not exactly sure what to write. I thought Nascar's version would fail but it didnt but they are alot more popular than we are. I dont know. I dont think this will increase revenue and tv exposure that much. Am I alone?
I really dont think this is a good idea but I am sure it wont hurt them that much either. I thought that in Nascar the teams that didnt have a chance wouldnt show up either but they do, so I dont know. I just think it should have been left alone. I dont like the fact that you could win the first 17 races, and then get beat 1st round the next 7 or whatever and lose the championship. Reward overall yearly consistency. Isint that what a championship is all about? Not being able to be better than everyone else for 6,7 races?

the difference is in nascar if they don't show up there is no other place to go. In drag racing there is.

All I could think of when I saw that headline is WTF????????. This is dumber than a bag of hammers. There is nothing wrong with the current championship system except that the points fund is about $15 million too small. This just complicates things needlessly.:mad: Let the Buffoonery begin

D

You all say it will chase the "little guys" away and teams outside the top 8. Why? Under the current points format, with around 4 races left anyone outside the top 5 for that matter should pack it up and quit too then because they don't have a shot at the title either.
I feel teams won't just up and quit when they are not part of the final 8 with the new rules. They come to the races to win that particular race not secure a spot in the final 8 if they know they don't have a realistic shot at it, especially the teams that know deep down they can't compete with the big boys. They are there to race because either someone pays them too or they truly love the sport and could care less where they finish in the points.
As an example, Tim Wilkerson is out of the top 10 in points yet comes to every race. He could just as well pack it in after Indy because he is not going to win the championship this year. He comes out to win races and enjoy doing what he does. The new points structure isn't going to change his views or his race schedule, IMHO!

Don't get me wrong, I think it is stupid to penalize a team that outperforms everyone all year, but then with a handful of races left the NHRA is going to allow the others in the back of the pack to catch up.

You also have to remember that nascar's 11-25 are still running for a considerable HUNK of $$$ at the end of the year:cool:

Sorry to see that the NASCAR nonsense has now infected the NHRA. This is just b.s., pure and simple. Looks like I've attended my last NHRA Powerade drag race.

Oh well, I still have the sprint cars races to enjoy. Next year rather than going to the drag races in Seattle and Sonoma, looks like I'll instead be going to the dirt tracks of Chico and Calistoga.

Last edited:
why don't they just have one world championship race in november .
and make the rest of the races mean nothing.

now that would be interesting. just like the old days. then maybe bob gilbertson ( and no offense to Bob) could be world champ if he had a lucky day. and laugh at the big shots. now that would crack me up

this is so beyond stupid , so obviously something thought up by the same pricks who think shooting t-shirts into the crowd is fun that I also, can hardly see straight.

When will the ProStock cars be running a 500 mile race? It cannot be far off.

You all say it will chase the "little guys" away and teams outside the top 8. Why? Under the current points format, with around 4 races left anyone outside the top 5 for that matter should pack it up and quit too then because they don't have a shot at the title either.
I feel teams won't just up and quit when they are not part of the final 8 with the new rules. They come to the races to win that particular race not secure a spot in the final 8 if they know they don't have a realistic shot at it, especially the teams that know deep down they can't compete with the big boys. They are there to race because either someone pays them too or they truly love the sport and could care less where they finish in the points.
As an example, Tim Wilkerson is out of the top 10 in points yet comes to every race. He could just as well pack it in after Indy because he is not going to win the championship this year. He comes out to win races and enjoy doing what he does. The new points structure isn't going to change his views or his race schedule, IMHO!

Don't get me wrong, I think it is stupid to penalize a team that outperforms everyone all year, but then with a handful of races left the NHRA is going to allow the others in the back of the pack to catch up.

Because even though someone may not have a shot at the championship they still have a chance to move up a spot in the rankings now that means nothing. IF they guy who gets in at #8 doesn't even show up at another race and number 11 wins the rest it means absolutely nothing.

I already sent a note to nhra, i would encourage everyone else too also.
I'm real curious to hear how the drivers/owners feel about this.

This is just another glaring example of the NHRA management not having a freakin' clue!!!

THIS IS THE WORST IDEA THEY HAVE COME UP WITH TO DATE!!!

Nothing NHRA has done in recents years has been to the betterment of the sport. It's all about trying to make it more palatable for the masses and darkening the shade of black on NHRA's bottom line.

Bobby Bennett's post hits the nail best... you're going to have teams that can't afford to attend the last few races because they didn't make the 'Countdown' and their sponsorship was dependent on that.

Like many here, I am so frickin' mad over this I can't even decide what to type!!!

So by your logic, if Doug Kalitta has the championship locked up at Richmond, then Schumacher wont bother to run at Las Vegas or Pomona?

Alan

NHRA's version is more complicated than a Super Comp race. Plain silly. NHRA should have learned from last year's F/C points battle that having 5 drivers able to win it all at Pomona was the right formula...not some complicated and confusing mess that they've created.

I thought a few years ago (before NASCRAP's Chase) that a great way to build a tougher fight for the NHRA Championships was to do the following:

All teams/drivers earn points as normal through Indy.

Beginning with Maple Grove the Top 8 points earners in each Pro category go to zero points.

For each national event, those Top 8 are automatically seeded on the same side of a 16 car ladder. The other side of the ladder would be "open" to 8 other drivers.

At each event, the Top 8 would race against one another and earn championship points accordingly but have to race a driver outside the Top 8 for the event win.

That forces the championship to be decided at Pomona, the last race of the season.

Simple.

Super Comp to the lanes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back