I guess I did something wrong???? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without any relationship or agreement bound to confidentiality there is no assumption that an unsolicited message sent is going to stay private. Good sense will generally keep in confidence things that don't affect others or are in nobody else's best interests, but, if one wants to share his opinion with me in a disagreeable or unsubstantiated way I'll decide what I do with it-- and that may be putting it out where the sun does shine.

vonB

It cracks me up that Terry claims that "The other pros are sick of it" like he's one of the professional drivers. He's trying to put together a Sportsman car (not that there is anything wrong with that), but it doesn't make him a "Pro driver" like he lets on.

Oh don't forget, he likes to brag about all of his experience in the nitro funny car ranks, and he'll remind you of how he is listed in the drag racing stats with his 4.99 run or some crap. So yeah, he's definitely "one of the pros". :rolleyes:

I tend to find that most people who say "I've GOT to be brutally honest with people, it's just the way I am!" are really using that as an excuse to cover for their rudeness and the fact that they enjoy being jerks who yank other people's chains.

Anyone with an ounce of internet savvy and sense knows that once you hit that "send" button, it's out of your hands, and your control. Any expectation of "privacy" and "confidentiality" is naive at best, stupid at worst and is nothing but a delusion on the sender's part. Accordingly, once anything arrives in a mailbox, either snail or electronic, it becomes the property of the recipient, to do with as they see fit. That's why it behooves anyone to think twice, nay three times, then store it under drafts and think again, before hitting that "send" button, especially something highly and personally critical of the recipient.

I truly doubt "Mr" Jones has the 'nads to walk up to the Smith trailer, in person, and say in front of everyone the same type of drivel that he sent to Matt under the cover of "Private" messaging.

Last edited:
WARNING ! if anyone sends me a private message it may only be private to you. The Smith Family Rocks .

I send a Private Message to somebody so the rest of the board won't be bored with the conversation. If you can't say it here you shouldn't use it there.

If they send me one trying to slander me or my family I will certainly let everybody else know to watch out for this person.

Bottom feeders are hard to catch, but everybody loves it when you catch them.

Harassment via Private Message is still harassment, and on the forum I'm a moderator on, I have given warning points (we have a points system, 10 infraction points gets you a seven day vacation and 20 earns you a permanent vacation) and temporary vacations to members who have harassed via PM.

Folks who get this kind of communication may not know the best way to handle it ... not everyone knows when to contact a mod about something. I am hoping and betting by this point a 'Mater mod has addressed this.

Coming from that perspective I would also say that I don't have a problem with the sender of said PM being outed.

It's a shame. I have made some nice connections with fans and team members alike through the 'Mater.

Like others have said, I didn't know what Rickie Smith was up to either, and was glad for the information. That's why I come to the 'Mater to keep up date with things. Information gets put here pretty quickly.

I echo the sentiments of not letting one cowardly act chase you away from the forum, Matt, as we are all keen to get straight info from reliable sources. Plus, I know I just like racers, some of the friendliest professional athletes I've ever encountered. :)

Matt,

I have had similar things said to me before. Don't worry about it. I brag on my dad all the time and do his PR too, so if I can't brag on him, who will? Best of luck and we'll see you at Farmington before the year is out.

MC

Folks who get this kind of communication may not know the best way to handle it ... not everyone knows when to contact a mod about something. I am hoping and betting by this point a 'Mater mod has addressed this.
That's a good point.

What about it admins, what is the preferred method for handling this type of situation?

Just because it is called a PRIVATE Message doesn't mean it has to be kept Private.

Anytime anyone corresponds with you it is your right to do whatever you like with the correspondence.

You can CHOOSE to keep it private or you can CHOOSE to make it public.

The whole reason he sent it as a private message to start with is because he knew what would happen if he had shown some sack the first go around and made it a regular thread.

Talk about your all-time backfires................

Sean D

I always thought that a PRIVATE MESSAGE was a way not to waste everyone's time sifting every "Hi how you doing how has every thing been ?".
Not to be a coward and send a you suck message so every one doesn't see what a total ASS they are.

Also for me Matt did nothing wrong on any of the matters. And as I said we will stop by and say hi and thanks for the invite. It would be too cool if y'all were able to get a spot close to Max's pit and we could have a full blown MATER party.:D

I tend to find that most people who say "I've GOT to be brutally honest with people, it's just the way I am!" are really using that as an excuse to cover for their rudeness and the fact that they enjoy being jerks who yank other people's chains.

Anyone with an ounce of internet savvy and sense knows that once you hit that "send" button, it's out of your hands, and your control. Any expectation of "privacy" and "confidentiality" is naive at best, stupid at worst and is nothing but a delusion on the sender's part. Accordingly, once anything arrives in a mailbox, either snail or electronic, it becomes the property of the recipient, to do with as they see fit. That's why it behooves anyone to think twice, nay three times, then store it under drafts and think again, before hitting that "send" button, especially something highly and personally critical of the recipient.

I truly doubt "Mr" Jones has the 'nads to walk up to the Smith trailer, in person, and say in front of everyone the same type of drivel that he sent to Matt under the cover of "Private" messaging.

Good point David. And while I do believe in being honest when someone asks for my opinion, being brutal is not necessary. Sometimes it's not so much what you say but how you say it.
And I have learned by my own experience and that of others not to send mail you just want one person to read and don't take pictures of something you don't want anyone else to see.

My mother always taught us that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Life taught me to think what I want but keep those thoughts to myself.
You did nothing wrong. Where is this guy? He has to reading all this stuff. Typical.........

Give the dude his buck back and tell him to hit the highway!

Matt - thanks for keeping us in the loop about the Smith family happenings..At least we know we are getting the truth and not just some media spin....

Terry - time to make amends...:rolleyes:

Hey Champ, don't let the Terry Jones' of the world get to you. He is just another schmuck who claims to be an expert on every subject and ends up showing he doesn't know squat about very much. I think the guy that wrote my signature line must of met Mr. Jones.

Me, I am just another guy who was also glad to hear what PaPa Smith has been up to, so thanks for passing it along.

Now quit reading all this stuff and get back to work. Gainesville is just around the corner. :D

I know I'm going to attacked for this, but, to me, THAT is what you did wrong, a PM is private and should be handled that way.

Posting his name is no better than the PM you received. At least the originator did it privately, you made it public.

Cockroaches hate the light.............

1) Matt, my opinion is that your post/thread about your dad was great as most of us didn't know.
2) You and your dad seem to be cool racers!!!

Now I have a question: Did you by chance reply to the PM?

Cockroach warning:

IMHO; I think the way I would've handled this was thru PM's and then mods or admins. Not by hashing this out in public.
Then you for some reason you felt the need to "out" the sender.

Why the need to stoop to this level?

Just my opinion!

Thanks for all of your support!!!! For the record Dad will be in BAHRAIN again helping some Pro Mod guys testing over there... He is going to run the ADRLA in houston and then go there the week of Gainesville.... So Dad won't be there... He helped Tom out at AZ... He set the car up and its good now... He just told them to go test and get the carbs fixed... But right now that was just a 1 time deal with Tom...

1) Matt, my opinion is that your post/thread about your dad was great as most of us didn't know.
2) You and your dad seem to be cool racers!!!

Now I have a question: Did you by chance reply to the PM?

Cockroach warning:

IMHO; I think the way I would've handled this was thru PM's and then mods or admins. Not by hashing this out in public.
Then you for some reason you felt the need to "out" the sender.

Why the need to stoop to this level?

Just my opinion!
Fight fire with fire, Wayne.

I don't get it..there has been what..3 people that questioned Matt's motive for posting the PM. I see the motive.."you sh!t on me..and I'll damn sure post the sumb!tch."

What Terry did was just throw his garbage around..and it's not the first time. He always makes reference to his wrenching for a pro team..so that's where he hears his so-called "the pros feel that" sh!t. His wife is an ESQ..so he knows all things legal. I hate it. Joe's Eye Candy thread, etc.

Do a search for anything Terry..and he hasn't had much nice to say period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back