I am confused about Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

After the first 18 races, only the top 10 drivers advance into the final segment of the "playoffs," and their points are reset to within 10 of one another with the exception of the points leader, who will have a 30-point advantage over second place

Tony Schumacher 1650

Antron Brown 1124

OK ... now Tony Shoe has over a 500 point lead in TF... it took him 18 races to get it.. and weather you like him or not.. he EARNED those points over the entire season (to this point)

Now if AFTER the COUNTDOWN starts.. suppose Tony has a little bad luck... and finishes 3rd...I wonder how "Happy" that would make Don feel after all the $$ he has invested in ALL of his teams.. to have one who earned a 500 point lead.. then have bad luck OR just plain SCREW UP in the last 2 or 3 races.. they lose all that they had Honestly Earned All Year!!

Then we can hear Paul Page say.. "See the Countdown really works.. and anyone can win...

Of suppose Dave C wins PS.. Will Paul say WOW !! Our PS Champ ran only 3/4 of the season and still won the championship! :confused:

After the first 18 races, only the top 10 drivers advance into the final segment of the "playoffs," and their points are reset to within 10 of one another with the exception of the points leader, who will have a 30-point advantage over second place

Tony Schumacher 1650

Antron Brown 1124

OK ... now Tony Shoe has over a 500 point lead in TF... it took him 18 races to get it.. and weather you like him or not.. he EARNED those points over the entire season (to this point)

Now if AFTER the COUNTDOWN starts.. suppose Tony has a little bad luck... and finishes 3rd...I wonder how "Happy" that would make Don feel after all the $$ he has invested in ALL of his teams.. to have one who earned a 500 point lead.. then have bad luck OR just plain SCREW UP in the last 2 or 3 races.. they lose all that they had Honestly Earned All Year!!

Then we can hear Paul Page say.. "See the Countdown really works.. and anyone can win...

Of suppose Dave C wins PS.. Will Paul say WOW !! Our PS Champ ran only 3/4 of the season and still won the championship! :confused:
Oh, you mean like Rod Fuller?

Tony only won the title last year because of the countdown. Probably not the best example to use.

The 2007 money, title and accolades should have been all Rod Fullers. Not Tony's.

Tony Schumacher 1650

Antron Brown 1124

John yer right, in yer T/F example. Why should #2 be given 500 points that they DIDN'T earn??? Everyone 2 thru 10 is given points. Why does nhra think this is a good system???
And #1, after building up a lead, is punished by having his/her lead taken away.....???

There's one pitfall in that though, last year the ratings numbers were up during the regualr season. Ideally this supposed exciting countdown should have at least maintained them, although the goal was to create excitement and add even more. Not only did they not gain anymore over the countdown, they also were not able to maintain the numbers they had and went below.

Its hard for a novice to sit there watching a "playoff" that they are told is exciting yet the guy in 2nd and in the playoffs is racing the guy in 15th and not in the playoffs, meanwhile this other matchup has the guy in the 5th spot in the playoffs racing his teammate who is not, somehow people seem to know the outcome before the race. If I were a newbie I would question the legitimacy of a sport when it has such a messed up version of a championship.

I really dont think that the countdown is related to ratings dropping. The analysis has good premise but to the average person it is not hard to understand at all. I believe Paul and Mike do a good job at explainin it everyweek, 4-5 times. You have to look at it from a different angle which I think NHRA is trying to do. Once you get to/past Indy you are in Football season. College all day Saturday and NFL all day Sunday and lets face it, NFL is a much larger fan base that will definately pull your non "die hard race fans" away. Plus drinkin all day Saturday for the college games and all day Sunday for the NFL games; who is going to be able to stay up until 10 or midnight to watch qualifying or eliminations;)?

Its the same thing every year. The season starts and drag racing is on late at night. Summer rolls around and we get a 6:30-7:00 start time. Fall comes and its back to late at night. If you want to blame the ratings on something, I wouldnt blame it on the countdown; I would blame it on ESPN2 putting NHRA on the backburner all the time. I dont know about anyone else but I am tired of NHRA getting the backseat to Little League Baseball, Womens water polo, etc that always has the chance to run over!! :mad::eek:

I really dont think that the countdown is related to ratings dropping. The analysis has good premise but to the average person it is not hard to understand at all. I believe Paul and Mike do a good job at explainin it everyweek, 4-5 times. You have to look at it from a different angle which I think NHRA is trying to do. Once you get to/past Indy you are in Football season. College all day Saturday and NFL all day Sunday and lets face it, NFL is a much larger fan base that will definately pull your non "die hard race fans" away. Plus drinkin all day Saturday for the college games and all day Sunday for the NFL games; who is going to be able to stay up until 10 or midnight to watch qualifying or eliminations;)?

Valid points, John - One and all. I had never considered that, but now that you mention it, I gotta believe you're on to something.

As for the late night telecasts, ouch! I say ouch because I recently moved to Maryland from San Diego and staying up for the Reading race was murder! But you're right on that point too. Us die hards will at least try to stay up, but the casual observer/fan certainly won't.

P.S. Regardless, I'm still not a fan of the Countdown.

Its the same thing every year. The season starts and drag racing is on late at night. Summer rolls around and we get a 6:30-7:00 start time. Fall comes and its back to late at night. If you want to blame the ratings on something, I wouldnt blame it on the countdown; I would blame it on ESPN2 putting NHRA on the backburner all the time. I dont know about anyone else but I am tired of NHRA getting the backseat to Little League Baseball, Womens water polo, etc that always has the chance to run over!! :mad::eek:

right but the numbers dropped more than normal and this in the year that the countdown was created to help that exact problem.

Ratings are up very big this year, I think a major reason is that we finally have had decent timeslots and at least compared to past seasons somewhat constant slots. It seems in past years finals would start anywhere fro 4-midnight. This year not all, but a good number of them seem to have fallen in that 7-9 slot which has helped

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back