Drivers confused about qualifying rules? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Capps and Scelzi comment about new qualifying rules on Speed TV's Speed Report tonight. Gary called for an end to night sessions and Ron questioned what the 12 "provisionals" meant when anyone can get bumped in the last session. One of them also said that drag racing is already confusing enough to fans. I know many of you have figured out how this is going to help equalize qualifying, but many racers and fans I spoke to this weekend (like me) just don't get it!

End night qualifying? I say have 2 night runs!! I would say the majority of the fans like the header flames and good numbers!!!

Anybody at Joliet on Saturday this year?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Capps and Scelzi comment about new qualifying rules on Speed TV's Speed Report tonight. Gary called for an end to night sessions and Ron questioned what the 12 "provisionals" meant when anyone can get bumped in the last session. One of them also said that drag racing is already confusing enough to fans. I know many of you have figured out how this is going to help equalize qualifying, but many racers and fans I spoke to this weekend (like me) just don't get it!

Whats not to "get?" After friday night take the top 12 cars on the sheet and ERASE the rest of the runs. Resume qualifying as normal on Saturday. This effectively guarantees that 4 spots are "up for grabs" on Saturday. The Friday night session is so important at the majority of races where if you don't make it down the track, even if you have the fastest time on Saturday, you will not get in. That really wasn't all that fair. Atleast now you will have a chance.

JMO
Jeff

P.S. I think you will find if you talked to the majority of fuel drivers that they would be happy to see the end of night time qualifying. I know it is cool for the fans, but try driving one at night with poor lighting! Everybody who says that spectator counts would be down obviously have never been to Gainesville for the Gators. Consistently some of the highest attendance numbers and NO nightime qualifying!

P.S. I think you will find if you talked to the majority of fuel drivers that they would be happy to see the end of night time qualifying. I know it is cool for the fans, but try driving one at night with poor lighting! Everybody who says that spectator counts would be down obviously have never been to Gainesville for the Gators. Consistently some of the highest attendance numbers and NO nightime qualifying!

I was just getting ready to say that. I have not driven a fuel car(yet), but Driving a 7 Second Econo Rail at night is scetchy enough...It's pretty much, make sure it's lined up straight, and keep it in the (NON) shinney part of the track...when your coming up on 660' at night, things just kinda BLUR from there at night. Then, once you've crossed....WHAT YOU THINK is the finish line...(i look for the light of the ET Clocks at Bandimere) try stopping the car
when the lighting Pretty much goes down to about 50% of what it is on the 1320' track. ...AND my home track..Bandimere is very well lit! Now....throw another car next to you...and look for his tire or the stripe...Yeah...it get's fun at night...:eek:...Of Course, this is with a clear sheild, not being fogged up,( i keep mine cracked open just a smidge to be honest with ya). I know what 170 mph is like at night....Can't imagine what 330 mph is like....(BUT I'm Willing to find out:cool:)

Very simple solution, either 2 night sessions or no night sessions. who's going to flip the coin?

Basically, Baytown/Houston's Friday 'night' session is at dusk. I enjoy it, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if it didn't happen.

Everyone would still go if they didnt have night sessions, including me but I have to say that it wouldnt be the same. Nitro at night is unmatched by anything else at a NHRA pro drag race. It looks awesome, it also when the best numbers are posted and if I have to take a newbie I make sure its Friday night. They are then hooked for like 90% of the time.

I also think that either having 2 night sessions or having none would have been better than the new qualifying system but if they are going to leave the qualifying times alone and just have one night session then I think its a step in the better direction for once.

Well I don't agree with Gary about Friday night session. The stands fill up and fans love it. I think they should have a session Saturday evening and that would give all the teams a second chance. NHRA needs to remember that the fans are what keeps this sport alive.
The qualifying ladder has worked fine for 50+ years, I say lets leave it alone.

As a fan, I love the night sessions. As a former crew member, I hate them. I have been on a team that ran near the end of the Friday night session and didn't leave the track until 1 or 2 am, then had to be back at the track by 9 am. If you factor in the time it takes to get to the hotel, shower, hopefully eat breakfast, pick up daily consumables and get back to the track, it doesn't leave much time for sleep. It's no fun, believe me. I know what you're thinking, that's the work we chose to do, so suck it up. But the crews are the unsung heros and very rarely get the credit they deserve. The drivers/crewchiefs/owners usually don't hang around until all of the work is finished, so very little thought is given to what time the crew left.

Well I don't agree with Gary about Friday night session. The stands fill up and fans love it. I think they should have a session Saturday evening and that would give all the teams a second chance. NHRA needs to remember that the fans are what keeps this sport alive.
The qualifying ladder has worked fine for 50+ years, I say lets leave it alone.

I agree. I hate to compare, but look at IHRA. They have 2 "night of fire" sessions, and do the last man standing, get the fans involved, and pump the crap out of the night racing. That's the way NHRA should be too, IMO.

It'll really hit the fan when a big name person run a good 4 second number good for only 13th on Friday but then gets bumped out fo the field by a 5 or 6 second time on Sat.

Also what I really fear is normally on a crap Saturday when its too hot and the tracks not there that once a team goes up in smoke they shut it off. Now they will be more apt to get back on and off the throttle because on certain days (i.e. Chicago last year) somebody is going to make it in with a really crap time. While the pedal fest can be exciting it is also a gamble, you can only get on and off those things so many times before kaboom. Now that it is now going to be necessary to make those full pulls on Saturday we may also see more oil downs and down time. I'm not sure if that's consequence that was thought of. The change hasn't made me want to waste money on another Saturday session again.

Think Friday night Richmond 06 cured me of 'night' qualifying... FROZE MY TUSH OFF... after spending the weekend before freezing in the rain... sights and sounds are great... but... I'd still go if all qualifying was during the day... in race conditions...

but it is what it is... that's the way NHRA wants to do it...

d'kid

Afriend of mine suggested at a series we race out here on the west coast, that they use average qualifying time of all 4 runs. I really like that idea. It pays a bonus for consistency, potential to lessen oildowns and aborted smoking runs, solves the homerun on friday night and smoke the tires on the other three runs, and gives the lil guy a better shot as long as they can make all 4 sessions. Just a thought

Afriend of mine suggested at a series we race out here on the west coast, that they use average qualifying time of all 4 runs. I really like that idea. It pays a bonus for consistency, potential to lessen oildowns and aborted smoking runs, solves the homerun on friday night and smoke the tires on the other three runs, and gives the lil guy a better shot as long as they can make all 4 sessions. Just a thought

To me that would make people blow up and oil the track more. The way it is now atleast if you smoke the tires you know your done and wont make it into the field (unless the whole field is doing it on Sat) to where if its an avg time on all runs if they smoke the tires they will be right back on it to keep there overall avg down. Thats how I see it working but who knows. I just wish they would have all 4 day sessions or even better 2 night and 2 day sessions and just leave it the 16 quickest but thats me and its too easy.

Make it only 3 q sessions

Friday night is a race within a race. bonus $ to whoever runs low et, although if only 1 got the $ many teams may skip it

Maybe a payout on what order you finish on that night. Pay the top 1/2 at any race the night session so if 24 show up the pay 12 for that session or just alwayas pay the 10 quickest. This would still give nhra their night time session to get the firday night after work fan in but it would not have the disproportionate effect on the overall field that it does now. Plus lower budget teams could skip the session to save funds/parts unless they feel that they could run the money numbers that night.

Heck even find someone to sponsor that session. Maybe all season long or just for that race, regional races. Maybe Coke steps up with another brnd for it, the option water nite of fire, or sprite under the lights nitro blast something like that.

Make it only 3 q sessions

Friday night is a race within a race. bonus $ to whoever runs low et, although if only 1 got the $ many teams may skip it

Maybe a payout on what order you finish on that night. Pay the top 1/2 at any race the night session so if 24 show up the pay 12 for that session or just alwayas pay the 10 quickest. This would still give nhra their night time session to get the firday night after work fan in but it would not have the disproportionate effect on the overall field that it does now. Plus lower budget teams could skip the session to save funds/parts unless they feel that they could run the money numbers that night.

Heck even find someone to sponsor that session. Maybe all season long or just for that race, regional races. Maybe Coke steps up with another brnd for it, the option water nite of fire, or sprite under the lights nitro blast something like that.

I like the way you think PJ...
And that Scares Me....:eek:
Call it the Mello Yellow Shoot The Record Run

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back