Am I Wrong about Pro Stock???? (1 Viewer)

I watched a show that announced all the up coming hoop ball games. In between those I saw a little drag racing.

If ESPN wants to advertise hoop ball games, do it as a formal commercial so I can fast-forward thru it, not as an overlay during the race.

I watched a show that announced all the up coming hoop ball games. In between those I saw a little drag racing.

If ESPN wants to advertise hoop ball games, do it as a formal commercial so I can fast-forward thru it, not as an overlay during the race.

Surprised Paul Page didn't announce a side x side with Villanova and Notre Dame. I counted 4 promos.

Easy now ... it was very important that EVERYBODY know that Vanderbilt is at Kentucky tonight in the center of the known Universe, Rupp Arena. Not the season we hoped for in Big Blue Nation, but tonight's game is very important and you guys should watch. Never thought I would say this, but thanks PP for getting the word out. Now if we could only get Jimmy Dykes and Dick Vitale to read NHRA promos during tonight's game, I think ESPN would be onto something. GO BIG BLUE!

I suppose they tried to do the right thing, but there's another example of typical self-appointed know-it-alls...like the racers themselves wouldn't have a clue as to how safe the track is, or isnt...:mad:

You'd know, so you tell me....how stable is a Pro Stock car at speed when the track is this cold? And would you yourself have considered this particular track surface safe at that time?

This is a classic dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation for the NHRA to be in. If they don't cancel the session, and a couple of cars get tore up like at Phoenix last year, all the racers and fans would be barbequein' NHRA's arses for not cancelling the session. So they do cancel the session, and they are still catching heat. I don't think for one second that NHRA wanted to cancel the session nor was it done to prove a point or be malicious, after all the racers are there to race and the fans paid to see racing, but at some point you gotta protect everybody from themselves and there isn't always time to form a committee to make sure everyone is heard.

I am glad the NHRA erred on the side of caution, no cars got tore up and no drivers got hurt and no fans had to sit out in the cold longer than they had to. I also understand that is real easy for me to say since I don't race and I didn't fork over upwards of $60 for a ticket, I was sitting at home in my living room.

I would be interested to know if any of the fans here that went to the race felt like they got the shaft by the cancellation of Pro Stock?

I would also be interested to know if Pro Stock racers feel comfortable racing on a sub 60 degree track?

If the answer to either question is "NO", then NHRA was right and this is much ado about nothing ...

Last edited:
I would be interested to know if any of the fans here that went to the race felt like they got the shaft by the cancellation of Pro Stock?

I would also be interested to know if Pro Stock racers feel comfortable racing on a sub 60 degree track?

If the answer to either question is "NO", then NHRA was right and this is much ado about nothing ...

Gotta love that....:) I think what ticked Yates off, and it would have me, too, is that NHRA, as a courtesy if nothing else, should have discussed their decision with the Pro Stock teams before making a blanket announcement over the PA system. I'm thinking they'd have real problems launching on a sub-60 track but if I knew for sure, I wouldn't be here asking.

I'm curious as to when, NHRA made the decision that 60° or lower was too cold to race safely on?? Is that anywhere to be found in the rulebook??

We all know that when tracks get extremely hot, they also get slippery. Yet I don't recall NHRA stopping racing because it's too hot. The cooler the temperature, the tighter (more traction) the track has, so why cancel?? How many record-breaking runs do they need to show that the conditions were primo??

I'm curious as to when, NHRA made the decision that 60° or lower was too cold to race safely on?? Is that anywhere to be found in the rulebook??

We all know that when tracks get extremely hot, they also get slippery. Yet I don't recall NHRA stopping racing because it's too hot. The cooler the temperature, the tighter (more traction) the track has, so why cancel?? How many record-breaking runs do they need to show that the conditions were primo??

No artificial downforce on the gas flipper, Zappy... For all that could have been done to help that (have all the PS cars add 1/4" of wicker to start- would have gone over as well as it did in Phoenix...:rolleyes:), the idea of coming out for that session and going SLOWER, would have been a waste of everyones time... Personally, I was happy to hear they blew off the session- once the sun dipped on the horizon, it got stupid cold and most folks were moving for their cars in the parking lots...

You lost me, on the no downforce?? Cooler air is denser, if anything it would've provided more downforce. It was quite cool all weekend, with outstanding performances, why all of a sudden was 60° too cool??

Did somebody have dinner reservations......?

I don't know where you got your information. But I can assure you that the decission to cancell the last round of Pro Stock Qualifying at the Winternationals was made by NHRA without input from the Pro Stock Racers.
I can assure you that there was a lot of complaining in the Pro Stock pit....however it was because NHRA did not let us run that session.

I'll second that. Every PS team was shocked when the word came to us. Everyone was ready to roll out for the 3rd session when the announcement was made. Yep, it was cool, but everyone had made their changes and were ready to roll.

Unk
#9 Racers Edge PS team

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back