Horse racing (1 Viewer)

Bobby

Nitro Member
I 'm sorry it just seems wrong to me to make these animals do something it seems to me they really don't want to do. Two broken ankles and euthanized on the track? How lovely. Even the winner seemed pissed off. Threw the winning jockey right on to the track . I don't know it's seems just inhumane.

no offense to those who enjoy it I can see why it's a magnificent sight seeing these horses run. I just think they shouldn't be running under those conditions. JMHO.

I was so sad to read that too. How terrible. Nothing will change though, and that is the real tragedy.

The winner threw his jock because he got spooked by the horse that was down.

These horses want to run, they are bred for it. NO ONE wants to lose a horse on the track like that. Steps are being taken, horses are run less these days and the tracks are stepping up and converting to artificial surfaces which have proven to be safer.

Eight Belles injury, while tragic, was very fluky. The horse broke down on the gallop out after the race was well over. The attending vets at the track had never seen that one before.

This whole thing makes me so mad. Last year, I happened to run into a lady who used to be an Equestrian (sp) Nurse. We talked for a while about horses and horse racing. She mentioned that she has a few horses of her own. When I asked her why she used to be a nurse she told me she quit because she couldn't deal with the mentality of horse racers. She said the main reason for the leg injuries is because the owners start training and running the horses to young. She said the horse's leg muscles and bone structure isn't fully developed when they begin training them. Therefore, the horses legs have a tendancy to grow and develop wrong and they aren't always as strong as they should be.

Personally, I like watching horse racing. It's not about the money, I don't bet on them. I just like to see these beautiful animals run. I was watching the Derby and after it was over I was thinking, thank God they all made it through OK. Then they showed the downed horse. It made me so mad because I knew what was coming next. The thing that really bothers me is that in motorsports when somebody is injured or killed, people work to find what caused it and work to try to prevent it from happening again. I don't really see the same effort in horse racing. Maybe it's just because I'm an animal lover, but this really bothers me.

Dave

These horses want to run, they are bred for it.

That's true. I can somewhat relate to that, because my sister and her family bought a rescued Greyhound racer who was a state champion. That dog is such a lover. He's a great pet with the kids, and also quite a couch potato. He does alot of sleeping. Outside in the back yard he's fine. But once they take him out to the park on a leash for a walk - all he wants to do is run. And I mean RUN.
Now they take him once a week to a huge open dog park. It's really something to see. As soon as they get through the fence, and she unclasps his leash.... from a standing start, that dog is GONE! He will run nonstop. Not chasing anything in particular.... just flat out top speed running. It's very hard for them to get him calmed down and back in the car afterwards. All that dog knows is running.. and being sprawled out sleeping on the couch.

Last edited:
I think the humane thing to do IS to euthanize them at the track, trying to load a wounded Horse on a trailer so they can take them somewhere else to euthanize is inhumane! As for something they DON'T Want to do? There's no way in the world anybody could know that.:rolleyes:

I think the humane thing to do IS to euthanize them at the track, trying to load a wounded Horse on a trailer so they can take them somewhere else to euthanize is inhumane! As for something they DON'T Want to do? There's no way in the world anybody could know that.:rolleyes:

That is how I feel. Maybe they love it, maybe they don't. This is the same as athletic injuries. A person has severe overuse of any joint or body part, and that leads to injury. The difference here is that animals can't talk to their trainers and doctors,, and someone else is making decisions for them. I know these people love their animals and wouldn't do anything to harm them, but honestly, how can anyone be sure they are loving this? I sure hope they are, but the end doesn't always justify the means. Both ankles at one time? This is a fluke, but it probably would not have happened under 'normal' circumstances. I am glad this animal was not in agony any longer than necessary. What a shame all the way around.

She said the main reason for the leg injuries is because the owners start training and running the horses to young. She said the horse's leg muscles and bone structure isn't fully developed when they begin training them. Therefore, the horses legs have a tendancy to grow and develop wrong and they aren't always as strong as they should be.

The thing that really bothers me is that in motorsports when somebody is injured or killed, people work to find what caused it and work to try to prevent it from happening again. I don't really see the same effort in horse racing.
Dave

Your friend is right about training too young. Running horses as 2 year olds and then running the Derby/Triple Crown when they are 3 is like having middle schoolers playing in the NFL. There is a growing movement inside horse racing to push back the Derby until they are 4 and not allow horses to race as 2 year olds at all. The people at the top of horse racing will probably have to die/resign first and then have new blood get in before there will be any serious change, as the people in charge are of the "this is the way it's always been done" type of thinking.

As for the second part of the post, I pointed out several things that were being done in my earlier post in this thread, but I'll say them again. Horses are being run less and more and more tracks are switching to artificial surfaces which have drastically cut injuries and fatalities in California and other places where the surface has been installed.

Your friend is right about training too young. Running horses as 2 year olds and then running the Derby/Triple Crown when they are 3 is like having middle schoolers playing in the NFL. There is a growing movement inside horse racing to push back the Derby until they are 4 and not allow horses to race as 2 year olds at all. The people at the top of horse racing will probably have to die/resign first and then have new blood get in before there will be any serious change, as the people in charge are of the "this is the way it's always been done" type of thinking.

As for the second part of the post, I pointed out several things that were being done in my earlier post in this thread, but I'll say them again. Horses are being run less and more and more tracks are switching to artificial surfaces which have drastically cut injuries and fatalities in California and other places where the surface has been installed.

Chris, haven't they always done it this way? 3 year olds have run the Derby for what 130 years?

How do you know? Have you ever asked them?

Jim

I grew up in Kentucky and have been fortunate in my youth to spend a lot of time on horse farms in central Kentucky. I have with my own eyes seen horses long since retired, as well as foals running up and down the fence line with each other in otherwise empty fields while they are void of all human all contact. It's not like they are dragging these animals out of a deep slumber in a stall somewhere to make them run ... even before they are in training, or long after they are out of training, they spend a good portion of many days running ....

Chris, haven't they always done it this way? 3 year olds have run the Derby for what 130 years?

It is this type of thinking that needs to be overcome. 99% of the people watching the race could not give a crap if they are watching 3 or 4 year olds run in the Derby. However, there is a HUGE difference in the development of the animals between that year.

I grew up in Kentucky and have been fortunate in my youth to spend a lot of time on horse farms in central Kentucky. I have with my own eyes seen horses long since retired, as well as foals running up and down the fence line with each other in otherwise empty fields while they are void of all human all contact. It's not like they are dragging these animals out of a deep slumber in a stall somewhere to make them run ... even before they are in training, or long after they are out of training, they spend a good portion of many days running ....
Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing this, although I'm not from Kentucky. Spot on, Chris... spot on.
It is this type of thinking that needs to be overcome. 99% of the people watching the race could not give a crap if they are watching 3 or 4 year olds run in the Derby. However, there is a HUGE difference in the development of the animals between that year.
Again... spot on!

Just a very sad deal all the way around.

And of course PETA jumps in..with wanting the jockey to never race again.

Man..they are as bad as Al Sharpton.

Just a very sad deal all the way around.

And of course PETA jumps in..with wanting the jockey to never race again.

Man..they are as bad as Al Sharpton.

I agree David. I agree with them that every animal has its place here on earth, most of them right beside my mashed potatoes!

I dont see anything wrong with running horses. Now fighting dogs, cockfighting, etc etc is wrong.

I 'm sorry it just seems wrong to me to make these animals do something it seems to me they really don't want to do. Two broken ankles and euthanized on the track? How lovely. Even the winner seemed pissed off. Threw the winning jockey right on to the track . I don't know it's seems just inhumane.

no offense to those who enjoy it I can see why it's a magnificent sight seeing these horses run. I just think they shouldn't be running under those conditions. JMHO.

I grew up on horses, Bob. Not race horses, but I started riding by myself when I was 2 years old! I showed horses as a kid, then later trained them and taught horseback riding.

You have no idea what horses (and many animals) go through, for the entertainment of humans. They are totally at the mercy of the people who own and train them, no matter what area of the horse world you are talking about.

The Thoroughbred is known for its speed, grace and beauty. Part of the beauty is their thin legs which give them a look of elegence. When you add to the thin legs, the fact that they start racing when they are just two year olds before their bodies are fully developed, and the racing surface that they run on, you now have a recipe for break downs.

Many people do not agree with the extremes the owners of Barbaro went through, however, while that valient colt survived the breaks but did not survive lamintitis, he could have. The owners had enough money to make it happen, as it is a very expensive recovery, if it will happen at all. What the veterinary world learned from his treatment and seeming recovery, will help all horses.

Even more prevalent then the broken bones of race horses, is bleeding from the nostrils of many of them. Such bleeding is a sign that the animal is bleeding internally, in the lungs. This condition is usually the result of the much higher blood pressue when the horse is under exertion. A healthy horse at rest has a pulse of 40 to 50 beats per minute, but rising to over 250 beats at maximum effort, accounting for the horse's speed and acceleration.

One consequence of bleeding is the formation of scar tissue. Over time, the oxygen exchange function of the lung may become reduced. Sometimes necropsy's have shown signs of leakage from the lung capillaries. This is how the blood gets into the airway. The condition can become more severe if it continues for some years.

I would frequently buy horses off the track. While they may have washed out as race horses (lucky for them), they could excel as 'normal' horses and show horses.

When Barbaro broke down at the Preakness, the National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA) took a long, hard look at itself and the industry. I'd thought this was a step in the right direction. I guess introspection is no substitute for change.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back