Davie's Law Seeks to End Animal Gas Chambers in North Carolina (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
(Warning, graphic description)
Gassing is a horrible way for an animal to die and it is NOT quick. There should be something like this started in all the Southern states who still use this and other barbaric ways to kill unwanted animals. Please help by contacting the representatives in NC as well as passing this information on to people in NC who would like to see the end of this barbaric practice. Jackee

Subject: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Davie's Law Seeks to End Animal Gas Chambers in North Carolina

North Carolina Coalition for Humane Euthanasia [email protected]

Davie's Law/ Humane Euthanasia in Shelters was filed Wednesday, January 28 in the North Carolina General Assembly by Representative Cary Allred. This bill is named for a little puppy who survived a North Carolina gas chamber, later to be found in alive a plastic bag in a dumpster by a citizen taking out her trash. Many shelters still use the CO gas chamber and other cruel and inhumane methods to end the lives of lost and abandoned animals. If Davie's Law passes, it would ensure that no animal would ever again be subjected to this treatment in a North Carolina shelter.

The bill is endorsed by the American Humane Association, Animal Law Coalition, In Defense of Animals, Born Free USA, and many veterinarians and animal welfare organizations. It would require humane euthanasia by injection of sodium pentobarbital, or an alternate oral version of the drug, for all animals euthanized in the custody of shelters. Sixty-five animal shelters in North Carolina euthanize primarily by injection, and fifty-nine of those report using this method exclusively. Employees in those shelters have been trained to safely deal with wildlife and aggressive animals. Still, thirty-two county and city shelters kill animals in gas chambers made of cinderblock, metal, and even wood.

Witnesses including veterinarians and animal shelter personnel have reported seeing animals struggle to escape gas chambers as they howl and cry. "With respect to animal welfare concerns, carbon monoxide can produce agitation and convulsions in the animals before death, " says Paula Kislak, DVM, President of the Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights.

Alice Singh, Board Member of the North Carolina Coalition for Humane Euthanasia, says after viewing euthanasia by CO gas chamber in Yadkin County, "I will never forget what I saw. The dogs were trying to jump out of the large metal box, only to fail with the many other dogs in the chamber with them. The screams from that box will never escape my memory, nor will the many scratches inside of the box, or the blood in the bottom left after removing the dogs." Alice has been working to end the gas chamber for 8 years in counties all over North Carolina. Since that time, seventeen county shelters have made the change to humane euthanasia by injection.

Gas chambers can also be hazardous for shelter workers. Inspections from government agencies including North Carolina Department of Labor, North Carolina Department of Agriculture, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, and local fire marshals in Reidsville and Stokes County have revealed leaking and malfunctioning gas chambers and gas cylinders, which have in many cases exposed workers to high levels of carbon monoxide.

But what about the cost? A new cost study from national Animal Care and Control Consultant Doug Fakkema, commissioned by American Humane Association, shows that euthanasia by injection can be less expensive than the gas chamber. This study was based on recent figures obtained from North Carolina animal shelters.

House Bill #6 can be found at this link North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 6 Information/History (2009-2010 Session). Other primary sponsors include Representatives Rick Glazier, Ty Harrell, and Pat McElraft.

Mona Singleton
Co-Founder, Animal Rescue of Stokes County
Non-Profit 501c3
Animal Rescue, Stokes County, Animal Welfare, Dogs, Cats, Kittens, Puppies, Rescue

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society.
I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal.
And I was angry.
"God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?"
God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly.
"I have done something," He replied.
"I created you."
Jim Willis

*Help Feed Homeless Animals With One Click!*
Click to Give @ The Animal Rescue Site

*ANOTHER SITE TO FEED ANIMALS*Freekibblekat

STOP GASSING ANIMALS IN

NORTH CAROLINA
You can view this petition at: STOP GASSING ANIMALS IN NORTH CAROLINA - The Petition Site orhttp://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/stop-gassing-animals-in-north-carolina

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back